Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please

This is a discussion on Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So I have bought two Remington 700's... One a 300 Win Mag Police Sniper (with 40x trigger). The other a 7mm Rem Mag SPS model. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please

So I have bought two Remington 700's... One a 300 Win Mag Police Sniper (with 40x trigger). The other a 7mm Rem Mag SPS model. I am looking to convert these into very accurate (read easily 1000 yard) big game hunting rifles (read carry backcountry probably backpacking in). I am trying to balance budget, accuracy (I am not shooting competition), and weight.

On the 300 Police Sniper, I think the 40x trigger may be fine. I have heard mixed reviews, but right now, for hunting a 3.5 lb trigger that is crisp is all I need for hunting. It has a varmint barrel and I am pretty happy with it. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to have the barrel threaded and put a muzzle brake/comp on it. The H-S Precision stock is a little fat and feels clunky for hunting. I can see it is valuable for tactical. So the stock, replacing or no, is the big question for now, brake or no, and should I blueprint it. Any other ideas for squeezing any weight out of it?

On the 7mm Rem Mag, I have several decisions:
    - Re-barrel? It has a long thin barrel, and for the ranges I am shooting I might go with a varmint profile like on the 300. Suggestions?
    - Trigger? I think the Timney has won me over. Good price point, good feedback.
    - Stock? As I stated above, not a huge fan so far of the 300's stock. Ideas?
    - Definitely needs some blueprinting work. Action is a lot clunkier than the 300 P.

With both I have been looking at TPS bases and rings (although with the scarcity of them I may go with leupolds). Suggestions on which ones? I have heard the steel ones are pretty hefty - again considering weight any alternatives?

Both I have gotten Harris 6-9 swivel bipods.

Both I am putting Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 scopes on (thanks for other feedback in this forum... great compromise of weight, cost and performance - was originally going to put Nightforce NXS)...

A couple of other items I am considering... An strap on cheek rest... I am a big guy and need a good cheek rest - plus I want one multipurpose. Again looking to balance weight/utility.

Finally - I have long arms. I had originally considered some of the macmillan fully adjustable stocks, but noticed the weight going up. What can I add (if any) to give me an adjustable or at least longer pull.

Any suggestions appreciated. I really am looking to make near competition grade guns, but hunting/utility guns with the right trade offs.

You're wanting cheap, light and accurate to 1000yd. If you find that unicorn then let me know.

It would help if you defined your budget and weight restrictions. Ethical shots on game at 1000yds is a tall order.
    Last edited by davisj3537; 01-04-2017 at 12:27 PM.

I took two elk at 950ish in 2015. Actually taking animals at longer ranges is more ethical, as you don't bust up herds and end up having the stragglers taken by wolves, or starving to death...

Looking to keep the guns to 1500'ish (sans scope, and I am flexible on that). Want something solid, high, quality so I AM taking animals ethically.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lokiweapons View Post
    I took two elk at 950ish in 2015. Actually taking animals at longer ranges is more ethical, as you don't bust up herds and end up having the stragglers taken by wolves, or starving to death...

Looking to keep the guns to 1500'ish (sans scope, and I am flexible on that). Want something solid, high, quality so I AM taking animals ethically.
    You're a better shot than I am. Reading wind for cold bore shots at that distance is a real struggle for me.

What kind of weight are you looking for? Under 8lbs, under 10lbs...etc.

Do you have current weights on the rifles as they are now?

It's doable but your going to have to sacrifice more than you probably want to. That's a pretty tall order to fill.

Ok... I am not looking for perfection. I am looking for ideas. In the end I will decide what trade-offs make sense. I have my own idea... but I want to see what other's may think. In the end I will post the builds, weights, etc on here for others to learn from as well. If I have to (for my wants) spend $2k, or $3k, I will make that decision. I am not looking for nirvana, unicorn, etc... Ideas...

Recently posted this on the hide and I think it will work for your 7mm rifle since you feel the stock might be ok.

You'll struggle to get a trued action at that price point, but I'm sure the more experienced guys may be able to work around that. For 1500 I'd try and get a 700 in a stock that I wanted under $700. Then send the action to be trued and get a varmint contour match barrel on it. You're at like $1400 already. $100+ left for a timney 510 trigger (OTM tactial is the cheapest) or Harris bipod.

You're still lacking base, rings and scope. Unless it shoots the lights out I'd bed the action, lug and scope base after that. Your action is probably shaped like a banana and won't fit so great into a bedding block w/o stress.
    You already have bipods so that $100 can go to the timney you mentioned.

For the 300WM since you don't like the stock you're looking at more $ for sure unfortunately. For precision shooting a match barrel is hard to ignore and if you're having it rebarreled then it's dumb to not have it trued (don't ask me how I know.)

If you're going to take them to the range then varmint contours are great, but add a bunch of weight for the backpacking you said you're going to be doing. If varmint contours are a must then I'd take a look at barrel length. You can compromise both ways to save weight. If you want to add brakes then varmint contours are one of the smaller contours that can be threaded for them. Most of the sporter contours don't have enough meat on the end. *Clamp on brakes might work for sporter contours. The witt is popular.

Will add if I think of anything I missed.
    Last edited by davisj3537; 01-04-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Edit:*

I love my sendero in 300rum. If all you plan on doing is hunting why buy a tactical rifle? I have a 300 win mag in the bell and Carlson mountain light or whatever the heck it's called and it's a tack driver. It does not have the full length bedding block just pillars. I usually don't go beyond 600-650 with it, but I really only use those rifles for hunting. Very rarely will a full box go through them at the range. I usually check my zeros and run out to 500 yards.

Have you actually tried backpacking with that tactical rifle of the weight that you have chosen? Not the best idea in my opinion as they are far too heavy for that.
    The Rem Long Range rifle would be my choice.

My oldest son's Tikka T3 Lite in a Bell&Carlson Medalist stock shoots into 1/2 inch at two hundred yards, and I am pretty sure either of your rifles
    could be made to do the same with some work. But his will be 7.5 pounds or so with the scope - a much smarter option for the backpack hunter.
    I will not comment as to the ethics of 1000 plus yard shots on elk, but assume you will find the risks a challenge.

A friend of ours has one of the first few higher end Weatherby 300 magnums and with its scope and sling plus a loaded magazine it weighs in at
    13.5 pounds. He was a younger tough guy when he went stone sheep hunting back years ago, and at age 76 now, he still marvels at the fact he managed to use that rifle backpacking, saying he was young and dumb, Ha, ha, ha! .
    Last edited by blwebster; 01-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Don't see the where the Rem Long Range rifle would be much less in weight... They don't post the weight, but it has a 26" barrel in a heavy contour and from what I can find that is only a trade off of maybe a pound max (hard to find the actual numbers - why does remington do that??). The stock might trade off some weight, not sure... but I have heard mixed reviews of the B&C stocks.

On the tikka front - LOVE THEM. But the magnums in the t3 just aren't consistent. I had a 300 win mag (just sold it) - and yes it was an amazing weight to carry. That said every 3 or 4th bullet was a flinger in the magnum rounds. I think its the pencil barrel. Plus it only has a 23" barrel on it which is not getting the full powder burn out of magnum cartridges... Basically its down grading the magnum ballistics.

And what you are pointing out is what I am trying to optimize. I am willing to make the investment of making strategic tradeoffs to get a manageable backpack gun... Maybe I won't find it - maybe I will. I was hoping to get meaningful input from this forum that might help everyone - not sniping...

BTW, I am constantly amazed at the precedence is placed on the ethics of hunting game at long distances - when this is a SNIPER FORUM (read shooting people at long distances - ethics?). A little hypocritical in my opinion . And I also love the word ethics improperly substituted for "opinion". FYI... I use to feel it was unethical too - because that is the myth propagated by hunters who either can't shoot well or are too afraid to. After talking with wildlife biologists, officers, etc about the issue, though, my opinion changed. They convinced me that taking game at distance, if done responsible, can have less impact, reduce pressure on hunting areas, and a myriad of other positives. If done responsibly it is not an ethical issue but an opinion; if done irresponsibly it is an ethical issue (but that is the case of any irresponsible behavior). All of my kills to date have been 1 hit, drop dead kills; no wounded/lost animals. Actually the only lost animal I have ever had was a doe shot at < 50 yards. Have I had to pass on a lot of shots I would have probably taken at 200 yards - hell yes. But it has also been as rewarding to stalk small pods in wide open flats (or other variations) to a reasonable shooting point and take that long shot. Both short and long range taking of game are valid - and I would like to help educate hunters on that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads