.308 Cold Bore vs. Warm Bore issues - Page 2

.308 Cold Bore vs. Warm Bore issues

This is a discussion on .308 Cold Bore vs. Warm Bore issues within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Many of us have done the 2 in the same hole and a "flyer" on the first few cold bore shots and as mentioned it's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: .308 Cold Bore vs. Warm Bore issues

Many of us have done the 2 in the same hole and a "flyer" on the first few cold bore shots and as mentioned it's usually us not settling in properly behind the rifle.

Strive to ensure a stock that fits even if you have to modify/replace. I have some with foam and hockey tape for cheek risers.lol

Get STRAIGHT behind the rifle and establish a natural aim and not where you are muscling the rifle to keep on POA.

Let the rifle recoil STRAIGHT rearward and follow thru where you are still on target and not with the muzzle angling off 20 degrees.

Shoot good, decent, factory ammo, preferably a benchmark ammo like, for example FGMM in .308. It is viewed as the gold standard for 308.

Don't clean the bore until the bore tells you to clean the bore by it beginning to lose accuracy.

Clean the bore marginally, removing mostly powder residue as not to change the inner bore enough to cause you to have to shoot a lot of fouling shots to get your cold bore zero back.

I have a bone stock 308 SPS varmint that has shot 1.5" groups@ 383 yds. (350 meters) with Sierra Gamekings and Nosler ABs
    jake3ekaj likes this.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

I just had the barrel measured and it was 25 1/4". I honestly don't know if that extra 3/4" makes a difference but the guy that I bought it from said it was a 1:10 twist. He's very trustworthy as he owned a gun shop. Why is it unlikely to have a 26" barrel with a 1:10 twist?

I'm hearing a lot about the factory stock being garbage and I should get a new one. $200 is kinda pushing it so is there a company that makes decent stocks for around that price?

It is not free floating. It is the factory stock.

Will definitely try shooting more than 3 round groups with better ammo.

The bipod is attached to the stock but I have yet to shoot with the bipod. I've been shooting from a bench rest.

I have yet to clean the barrel. I've put close to 100 rounds through the barrel so far.

Thanks for the advice!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jake3ekaj View Post
    I just had the barrel measured and it was 25 1/4". I honestly don't know if that extra 3/4" makes a difference but the guy that I bought it from said it was a 1:10 twist. He's very trustworthy as he owned a gun shop. Why is it unlikely to have a 26" barrel with a 1:10 twist?

I'm hearing a lot about the factory stock being garbage and I should get a new one. $200 is kinda pushing it so is there a company that makes decent stocks for around that price?
    You can get a Boyd's wood stock with an adjustable cheek riser for about $180. Spend about $40 on materials to pillar bed it yourself. If you can stretch a little more the Magpul hunter stock is an excellent value choice at $250. The Magpul also has bolt on options to adjust the cheek riser and length of pull. You can find take of HS Precision stocks from factory Remingtons for right around $200-$250. The issue with those is the lack of cheek height adjustment.

The barrel is 26". The other 3/4" is threaded inside the action. Most factory 26" Remington barrels are 1:12 twist. It's not common to find them in a 1:10. You can measure it pretty easy though. Stick your cleaning rod in the barrel just so it grabs the rifling. Put a piece of tape as a flag on the cleaning rod. Measure from the back of the action to the tape. Slide the rod in till the flag makes one full rotation. Measure the distance from the back of the action again.
    jake3ekaj likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

So...you took a brand new rifle and put 100 rounds through it without cleaning it? That is enough to cause problems right there. The barrel should have been cleaned before firing it as well as after about 20 rounds. If I were you I would clean that barrel before i shot another round.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jake3ekaj View Post
    It is not free floating. It is the factory stock.

Will definitely try shooting more than 3 round groups with better ammo.

The bipod is attached to the stock but I have yet to shoot with the bipod. I've been shooting from a bench rest.

I have yet to clean the barrel. I've put close to 100 rounds through the barrel so far.

Thanks for the advice!!
    You may have misunderstood or more likely, I wasn't clear on the cleaning, cold bore etc.

I usually shoot a new factory rifle up to ~ 150 rounds before I zero. I like to get a good feel for the gun and enjoy it then I will zero.

What I didn't make clear is(like on this last rifle I picked up)is I don't get the barrel hot and I completely stripped the copper out at 120 rounds. Then I shot it about 4 times(a magazine) then zeroed and did load development.

Some like to clean sooner.

Once you have shot a 100 or so and cleaned and re-fouled the barrel slightly, you are ready to double check action screws, etc. and set your zero.

Once this is done, allow the gun to cool and try your cold bore shot. Don't clean again until you see the cold bore shot off zero or untill the grouping accuracy of the barrel begins to degrade. Then clean slightly(mostly powder residue, etc) so as to come back to your cold bore zero but not so much as to have to shoot a lot of fouling shots to get the cold bore zero back.

Others may do differently and you may develop your own way too, depending on the criticality of your cold bore shot.
    jake3ekaj likes this.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

"It only really matters, when it really matters"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads