Deciding on caliber of rifle - Page 2

Deciding on caliber of rifle

This is a discussion on Deciding on caliber of rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by The_Sheriff_54 I'm looking to buy a Tac21 chassis and put a Remington 700 barreled action into the chassis. The problem is I'm ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Deciding on caliber of rifle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sheriff_54 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a Tac21 chassis and put a Remington 700 barreled action into the chassis. The problem is I'm having trouble deciding on the caliber, the main ones I'm considering are .308, .300 win mag, and 7mm Remington mag. I'm no newcomer when it comes to firing rifles, I've been hunting most of my life and am in Law Enforcement. While I will most likely be using it for some deer hunting I'm wanting to get into more long range shooting at 400-500+ yards and as far as that goes I am a bit of a newcomer. Any suggestions on caliber? I'm open to suggestions on other calibers as well, those are just my top 3, probably leaning more towards .300 win mag at the moment.

Do you alread have the action? If not you might want to check out howa barreled actions, better quality than remington in my opinion.
    Next do you want long or short action? Do you hand load?

Cliffy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sheriff_54 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a Tac21 chassis and put a Remington 700 barreled action into the chassis. The problem is I'm having trouble deciding on the caliber, <snip> While I will most likely be using it for some deer hunting I'm wanting to get into more long range shooting at 400-500+ yards and as far as that goes I am a bit of a newcomer.
    Properly loaded, the 308 is capable of punching paper out to 1300 yards with the new modern high BC bullets, and killing deer sized animals out past 600 yards.
    308 is the easiest to learn shooting on.
    308 is the cheapest to learn shooting on.
    308 is the easiest on the equipment (gun and your shoulder).
    there is more internet data on 308 than just about anything bigger than 223/5.56 NATO.
    So, my vote (should I get one, and should it be counted) is to start with 308.

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    The problems associated with loading belted magnums are well known. I have not personally experienced them as I don't and won't own a belted mag...but I have read enough reliable sources to know that I don't want one. If you have them and like them that is great. For a new person starting out they should be avoided in favor of better designed cartridges.
    The problems associated with loading belted magnums are well known, What problems? I started reloaded 300 mags in the 1990 or 91 and their not that bad to reload. Even the warm loads of brass last longer then I thought they would. Guess it's hard to be expert if you don't do it yourself. But for a new man to start off shooting I would step down to 30.06 or 308. Just my $.02.

exsimguy1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    The problems associated with loading belted magnums are well known, What problems? I started reloaded 300 mags in the 1990 or 91 and their not that bad to reload. Even the warm loads of brass last longer then I thought they would. Guess it's hard to be expert if you don't do it yourself. But for a new man to start off shooting I would step down to 30.06 or 308. Just my $.02.

Regardless of whether you have had trouble loading them or not does not change the fact that many people have. I'm not gonna buy a belted magnum just to prove that there are problems with them when many people already know about those problems. There are even special dies made to help prolong the Brass life when dealing with these issues. I by no means consider myself an expert...but I'm not an idiot either. The reality is there are many more modern cartridges with same or better ballistics as 300wm...with same or less powder...and much longer Brass life.

That aside...the point is really moot in this situation because as we both agree the OP needs something smaller anyway.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Regardless of whether you have had trouble loading them or not does not change the fact that many people have. I'm not gonna buy a belted magnum just to prove that there are problems with them when many people already know about those problems. There are even special dies made to help prolong the Brass life when dealing with these issues. I by no means consider myself an expert...but I'm not an idiot either. The reality is there are many more modern cartridges with same or better ballistics as 300wm...with same or less powder...and much longer Brass life.

That aside...the point is really moot in this situation because as we both agree the OP needs something smaller anyway.
    Give me a break, in the shooting world lots of people has had trouble in shooting and reloading, you name it. But to reload, it isn't bad.As for powder I'm not that cheap. I started to use the mag for long range shooting and hunting. And for a old out-dated round it sure does the one mile real easy. As for dies, I use same name brand dies, they are call FORSTER, for 308, 30.06 and 300 Win Mag. Gee they are all same name brand. Again no trouble.
    exsimguy1 likes this.

I've actually looked into Howa as well but I'm a fan of the model 700. As well as the fact that the chassis I'm wanting to get isn't fitted for a Howa. As far as long vs short action I haven't really made up my mind yet which one I'd prefer. And no I don't hand load right now and never have before but with me wanting to get into more long range shooting I most likely will start hand loading.

Also thanks everyone for the quick and helpful comments. You all have given me a lot to think about before I buy.

Honestly, if you shoot earnestly/successfully at long range for even general precision, you must handload and load develop out of your own chamber/gun.

For 400-500 yd gongs, factory will work, but the inconsistencies in factory ammo can tend to compound the learning curve of environmentals especially as you stretch your distance beyond 500.

Sounds more and more like a 308 with factory FGMM in 168 gr is tailor made for your described scenario.
    mlob1one likes this.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

6.5 CM has decent available factory ammo.
    Hornady and Creedmoor are loading it as Match loads. $1.50 a shot
    Winchester and Federal American Eagle are loading 140 grain HPBT as well.
    Those are around $1 a round.

Creedmoor Sports

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/cate...fle-Ammunition

6.5mm creedmoor ammo rifle
    Lots of hunting ammo now too.

My vote is for the 308 win, losts of ammo choices if not hand loading.

Cliffy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads