Deciding on caliber of rifle

This is a discussion on Deciding on caliber of rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm looking to buy a Tac21 chassis and put a Remington 700 barreled action into the chassis. The problem is I'm having trouble deciding on ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Deciding on caliber of rifle

I'm looking to buy a Tac21 chassis and put a Remington 700 barreled action into the chassis. The problem is I'm having trouble deciding on the caliber, the main ones I'm considering are .308, .300 win mag, and 7mm Remington mag. I'm no newcomer when it comes to firing rifles, I've been hunting most of my life and am in Law Enforcement. While I will most likely be using it for some deer hunting I'm wanting to get into more long range shooting at 400-500+ yards and as far as that goes I am a bit of a newcomer. Any suggestions on caliber? I'm open to suggestions on other calibers as well, those are just my top 3, probably leaning more towards .300 win mag at the moment.

Belted cartridges are not ideal for reloading. If you are serious about precision you will eventually reload.

308 is not a bad choice. It can hit with authority on targets 600 or less and with careful wind reading out to about 1000 or a little more.

Recoil is also an issue. I know you are an experienced shooter...but that is quite different than being an experienced precision shooter. The magnums will have substantially more recoil than the 308. Now...if you want similar performance on paper as the WM and less recoil than the 308 then you need to look at a 6.5 creed.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Depending on your experience shooting mid range distances AND whether you reload likely will influence your decision.

Consider that there are tons of info on the .308 from accessories to reload data, DOPE, Bullets, to reviews on chassis, to stocks, to bipods, etc.

In other words you will certainly be able to come up to speed quicker, with quality, with less help on a .308 plus it's less expensive and 60-100 rounds a day on a win mag gets to be too much sugar for a nickel especially on a 3 day shoot for many folk.

Pretty similar deal on 6s and 6.5s AND you can go further distances with less probable disappointment.(more forgiving wind calls and UKD come ups).

EDIT LOL.....like minds and I was slower on the trigger break.........
    Last edited by Skypilot; 01-07-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    ddd oo7 likes this.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Could always go 300 WSM if you are set on 300. Similar ballistics, accurate and no belt to deal with for reloading. Will have recoil but not bad.

Rebarrel the 300 wsm to a laser 6.5 wsm wildcat after it burns out. Then burn it out in half the time again as a 6.5..

6.5 will kill a deer as far out to 600-700yds. I personally wouldn't want to be shooting at 6 inch kill zone further than that...so should solve your lethality use of the rifle. The 6.5 has drastically better ballistic performance than a 308. The 308 is just too fat and stubby to compete with the 6.5 in either bullet drop or cutting through the wind.

The 7 and 300 are both great long range performers as well, but the recoil is an issue when it comes to spotting your misses, which is huge.

For the above reasons I'd only consider the 6.5 or 308 for your first long range gun. As you can see from the other posts, 6.5 has a clear advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Belted cartridges are not ideal for reloading.
    Why not, if you reload other ammo and do it well, belted isn't any trouble. I run 300 Win Mag, 30.06 and 308. The 300 win mag is harder on barrels then 308 and 30.06. All will do the 1,000 yards. The 300 Win Mag out past one mile.
    Last edited by SatCong; 01-07-2017 at 06:08 PM.

i went .308 for the same reasons you are looking for. my next will be 7rm for further precision distances in hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Why not, if you reload other ammo and do it well, belted isn't any trouble. I run 300 Win Mag, 30.06 and 308. The 300 win mag is harder on barrels then 308 and 30.06. All will do the 1,000 yards. The 300 Win Mag out past one mile.
    The problems associated with loading belted magnums are well known. I have not personally experienced them as I don't and won't own a belted mag...but I have read enough reliable sources to know that I don't want one. If you have them and like them that is great. For a new person starting out they should be avoided in favor of better designed cartridges.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Just another wrinkle to add....several bullets available in various calibers are reportedly lethal, from a hunting expansion point of view, down to 1300 fps. The Accubond LR is good to 1300 fps for example per Nosler. That would be about 700 + yards in several calibers that leave around 2700 fps.

Best wishes on your choice. The 300 win mag is a kickazz caliber for 1000 plus until you get into 338 territory.

Again, I believe the 6.5 has better ballistics than the 190 gr win mag if you forget energy and is easier to shoot for most folk.

Keep us posted on your choice.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads