Input for a new rifle

Input for a new rifle

This is a discussion on Input for a new rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Looking to buy my first long range rifle. Opinions on $1500 and down. I am currently looking at the Remington 700 in the magpull stock ...

Input for a new rifle

Looking to buy my first long range rifle. Opinions on $1500 and down. I am currently looking at the Remington 700 in the magpull stock in .260. And the Ruger precision ar platform in 6.5 creed. I really like the traditional style stock A5 style and look . But if everyone suggests Ruger over the Remington then maybe I will have to lean that direction. I would like to eventually go to some match's and shoot out to 1000 yards

I would be looking at a tikka.

Cliffy

Input for a new rifle

Pretty much all factory rifles are hit or miss as far as being great. Ruger has done a great job listening to the market and launched the RPR, then improved its shortcomings with the Gen II. If you want to buy a rifle, slap on a scope and go shooting the RPR is the way to go.

Now you can get a better value than the RPR, a better quality than the Remington, and get your A5 style stock, in a Howa. You can get a Howa 1500 barreled action for $450, drop it into a B&C stock with the adjustable cheek riser for $400, add a drop bottom magazine for another $150, a Harris bi-pod, $100, scope base and rings $200. That would be the style you want, in a rig that will flat out shoot.

I also like Tikkas, but they don't have the options like the Howa does.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Norcalfocus. That looks appealing. Do you think the quality is better on the Howa than the production gun, and explain? What about rebarrel and gunsmiths? Are they pretty much standard as far as the other actions? Just all ya hear is, go with a Remington . How are the triggers on the Howa, and are there replacements ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtech View Post
    Norcalfocus. That looks appealing. Do you think the quality is better on the Howa than the production gun, and explain? What about rebarrel and gunsmiths? Are they pretty much standard as far as the other actions? Just all ya hear is, go with a Remington . How are the triggers on the Howa, and are there replacements ?
    Well Howas seem to be the best of the production guns out there right now. Thats why we've been recommending them to any new shooter on here. They use a one piece bolt, their chambers aren't stupid deep (like a Remingtons), and they tend to be close to 1/2 MOA guns. Howas are put together just like any other bolt gun with a shouldered barrel. The only difference is they use metric threads. For some smiths thats an issue, others will charge a setup fee to change their lathe over, neither of those smiths is one I want working on my rifle anyways. There are plenty of good smiths out there, that work with the metric threads. There are trigger upgrades out there yes, but they're factory trigger is fine for most shooters. Better than the X-Mark Pro from Remington.

The great thing about a Remington, is your options for upgrades are endless. Choose whatever stock you want, whatever trigger you want, buy prefit, Remage nuts style, or barrel blanks, every gunsmith in America can work on them (not that all should). So if your like me and can't own anything stock anyways, the Remington is a great way to go. The biggest issue I've seen with Remington is their barrels. The chambers are cut so long, and not always square. But again, thats the risk you take when buying a production rifle.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

-Chris

Thd Weatherby vanguard is a howa action.

Cliffy

Ok thanks. That is some good info. I will do some looking. I like that I can do a build all in one color besides black. Ok another couple questions. Will the cerakote hold up or am I wasting my time, as in having work done to the action later on as in barrel replacement and maybe trueing the action . If the coating will end up looking like hell I will just go blue. Another question , can the muzzle be threaded and not affect the accuracy? I thought anytime you threaded a barrel after they were finished it altered the crown or chamber? Post some smiths that could do the muzzle if it will not affect the accuracy.
    Last edited by Fordtech; 01-09-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Ads