First 308?

First 308?

This is a discussion on First 308? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi I'm new to the forum if this is answered elsewhere please direct, but I'm looking to buy a 308 rifle to shoot mid to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skypilot

Thread: First 308?

First 308?

Hi I'm new to the forum if this is answered elsewhere please direct, but I'm looking to buy a 308 rifle to shoot mid to long range, where do I start, and which rifles should I look at I have experience shooting 22lr at short range comp as well as air rifle thanks for your input

You're going to need to be a lot more specific as to what you want to achieve, do you want to shoot one ragged hole at 200 yards or are you going to hunt with this thing? Whats your budget? Custom or Factory ect.

Some hunting mostly target looking for a good starter rifle with plenty of room to upgrade once I've learned the round but don't want to break the bank

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

As far as upgrading goes, something built off a Remington 700 action would be your best bet. That way when you replace the truly awful stock for a something better you have the inletting to drop in something custom in the future (Stiller, Defiance ect; they are all built of Remington style actions). That being said I cant really speak for the accuracy of the rifle or even the price for that matter. I run with a Tikka in 308 getting re-barreled to a 6.5 Creed, it shoots like a laser out of the box, but there isnt nearly as much aftermarket support to allow me to upgrade it, like that which is present with R700s.

Tikka t3x sporter should fit the bill. Im similar to you and it what I ordered, should be here this month sometime....

Tikka t3x sporter should fit the bill. Im similar to you and it what I ordered, should be here this month sometime....

if youre looking for out of the box tikka t3x, if you want to upgrade as you go howa1500 barrelled action with a boyds or better stock. if you are willing to spend more money remington 700 trued action with a match grade barrel on a boyds or better stock. I went remington 783 that im building up but i cant give you a definite on how it shoots cause i havent shot it yet LOL.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint
    Remington 700 Police
    Remington 700 5R Sendero
    Howa 1500

Those are your options. The SPS is the base model and will require you upgrade the stock. The Police and 5R Sendero come with the HS precision stock thats a decent starting point. All the Remingto's are going to suffer from super long throats in the chamber. On average they'll all shoot 1 MOA, the Sendero should be a bit better at 3/4-1/2 MOA. There is more aftermarket support for the Remington 700 than any other bolt action rifle. Its a good design, but if you go with the 700 keep in mind you will end up changing just about everything on the 700 at some point.

The Howa 1500 is the best budget starter rifle on the market right now. They are the best put together, come with a one piece bolt, a decent trigger, and you can buy it as a bare barreled action. This save you some money as your not paying for a POS stock. You then drop it into the stock or chassis of your choice. You'll pay $900 for a Remington 5R, where as you can get the Howa and the same quality stock as the 5R for about $750.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

I would walk in a retail shop that sold a WIDE variety of Remington, Savage, Weatherby/Howa, Browning, Tikka, Winchester, etc.

I would see which brand and model FIT me the best from a balance, natural aim, weight, etc. In other words one I liked the feel and fit of.

Generally free floated barrels and detachable mags are the rage for distance although Rem SPS V is a popular one that isn't.
    Remington and Savage have a current advantage in aftermarket accessories with Tikka and Howa catching up if add on stocks, custom triggers, or a re-barrel is a consideration.

Most any of the name brand factory rifles I have picked up in the last several years have been MOA or better out of the box except a RA XCRL semi @1.5" and a Browning BAR Shortrac that wouldn't hit within 6-8" of any previous shot.

So pick per the above suggestions, load it with good factory ammo, some companies, like Savage, list in the back of the owners manual the exact factory ammo they accuracy tested that caliber with, so then go and shoot.
    Cliffy likes this.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Quote Originally Posted by Skypilot View Post
    I would walk in a retail shop that sold a WIDE variety of Remington, Savage, Weatherby/Howa, Browning, Tikka, Winchester, etc.

I would see which brand and model FIT me the best from a balance, natural aim, weight, etc. In other words one I liked the feel and fit of.
    If your looking for a hunting rifle, that your going to just slap a scope on, that's great. But why check the fit and feel of a stock that your likely going to replace anyways? Why check the balance and weight of a gun that is going to be used off a bench or laying prone on the ground.

In the game of long range precision shooting, we want to make the guns fit us, not find a gun that fits me. This is why I strongly advocate getting a fully adjustable stock if you can. Or you end up modifying your stock to fit you.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Ads