PTG Actions

PTG Actions

This is a discussion on PTG Actions within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm building a new rifle, either 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag, haven't decided yet but currently trying to find a good action. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTG Actions

PTG Actions

I'm building a new rifle, either 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag, haven't decided yet but currently trying to find a good action. I'm not wanting to go overboard as I'd like to save money for a good barrel and trigger. I was looking at PTG's Remington actions that come trued with the one piece PTG bolt. Specifically I was looking at the long action with a magnum bolt face. They seem like a good deal for the money. Better than factory, but not as pricey as a full custom. I had never heard of this company before and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    How is their customer service?
    How well do the actions preform?
    How well are the actions trued?
    Etc.

I was also wondering if it comes with the standard sized scope base screws or if PTG opens them up? Also do they mess with the barrel threading or can a standard Remington 700 barrel still fit in the action? If anyone has any information or any information of a shop near Knoxville, TN that sells these, that would be particularly nice as I could feel one in person.

Thanks for any information in advance!

Best to call them directly.

Cliffy

In my experience they have more options over the phone than via website. You could ask them to open up the base holes, ask for no trigger...etc. A standard 700 barrel will NOT fit a trued action because the threads have to be opened up. All this means is you can't put a used 700 barrel on. Any decent smith will be able to take a barrel blank and mate it to your action.

I was planning on ordering a custom barrel, probably Krieger so I was mostly just making sure. I already have a scope base with the standard screws, so I was actually hoping they won't do that. I have collected various parts, even acquired an extra scope, so far all I need is action, barrel, and trigger. I have heard that these actions are known to take awhile to get. Realistically about how long do you think I'll have to wait? Also are there any smiths in my area you would recommend? I've never actually had to deal with a gunsmith before. Most of the stuff I do is DIY, building ARs and stuff, but with this being nice expensive stuff I'd much rather have a professional do it.

Also preferably one that does glass bedding and ceracoke.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Also preferably one that does glass bedding and ceracoke.

Travis at TS Customs. He keeps Benchmark barrels in stock so that makes it easier on you. He also does bedding, Creacoat, and full assembly. You won't be disapointed with his work. Plus I don't think he has a stupid long wait like some others.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

PTG has the actions on their site and will note if it is in stock or not. Beyond that, call them and ask them. They aren't going to open up base holes unless you request it.

FWIW, I would consider bedding your own rifle depending on the price a smith quotes you. I found it very simple to do if you pay a little attention and do good prep work. Some of the quotes for glass bedding that I've seen are as high as $750 just for the bedding. I did it in an hour for $20 and then about half an hour of cleanup after it cured.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Travis at TS Customs. He keeps Benchmark barrels in stock so that makes it easier on you. He also does bedding, Creacoat, and full assembly. You won't be disapointed with his work. Plus I don't think he has a stupid long wait like some others.
    How much would he charge for assembly of a rifle, glass bedding, and a simple solid matte black coating?

Also what are aluminum pillars? are they necessary? what do they do?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first steps into the custom gun world, up until now its always been factory or my own builds.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    PTG has the actions on their site and will note if it is in stock or not. Beyond that, call them and ask them. They aren't going to open up base holes unless you request it.

FWIW, I would consider bedding your own rifle depending on the price a smith quotes you. I found it very simple to do if you pay a little attention and do good prep work. Some of the quotes for glass bedding that I've seen are as high as $750 just for the bedding. I did it in an hour for $20 and then about half an hour of cleanup after it cured.
    I will research that, I am a fan of DIY. BUT I would rather this be done right and not going to lie but not all my projects have turned out exactly like I planned. I'm still young and learning so cut me some slack.

If there was a place I was going to save money it would be on the ceracoat. I have a friend who doesn't charge me for anything but material to duracoat anything I want. He swears there is no difference in quality and I don't really argue cause he is offering me a free service and does good work (he does auto body work for a living so for him its nothing to duracoat) Deep down though I feel that baked paints are better, but I honestly don't know. thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads