Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!! - Page 2

Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!!

This is a discussion on Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!! within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by Gunguy308 Remington quality control definitely dropped the ball on that 700 LR with having a rough chamber. When I bought mine brand ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    Remington quality control definitely dropped the ball on that 700 LR with having a rough chamber. When I bought mine brand new I was upset that this was allowed to leave the factory but I did give Remington the opportunity to fix their mistake which they did at no cost to me. I believe that how a company reacts to a problem is just as important as preventing them in the first place.
    Using federal 165gr game king ammo the rifle did consistently shoot sub MOA at a hundred yards and had no problem at 1100.
    I have a Rem SPS-V in 308 I bought used from a gun shop. Same accuracy with factory Gamekings and factory Accubonds in mine.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

I have a heavily modified one in 3006 and it does this from time to time as well and has since I bought it. There are no markings on the brass and it isn't a sign of overpressure in my case. My bolt will lift fine, but pulling it back is sometimes very difficult. I'd read this could be caused by poor bolt timing, but haven't looked into adequately yet.

I'd be very interested to read what your problem turns out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    I have a heavily modified one in 3006 and it does this from time to time as well and has since I bought it. There are no markings on the brass and it isn't a sign of overpressure in my case. My bolt will lift fine, but pulling it back is sometimes very difficult. I'd read this could be caused by poor bolt timing, but haven't looked into adequately yet.

I'd be very interested to read what your problem turns out to be.
    What kind of mods did you do? Anything done to the bolt?
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    What kind of mods did you do? Anything done to the bolt?
    No mods to the bolt or inside of the action. It was doing this before I changed anything though. For the longest time I thought it was my fault due to reloading or something, but full length sized low pressure rounds do the same thing. 1 out of 30-40 rounds does it. It has a bartlein barrel now so that should rule out anything up on that end.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    No mods to the bolt or inside of the action. It was doing this before I changed anything though. For the longest time I thought it was my fault due to reloading or something, but full length sized low pressure rounds do the same thing. 1 out of 30-40 rounds does it. It has a bartlein barrel now so that should rule out anything up on that end.

Sounds to me like poor/improper bolt timing which seems to be quite common with Remington bolts. When you lift the bolt after firing look to see if the camming surfaces at the back of the action and bolt handle are actually touching. I've seen them with a 3/16" gap when the bolt handle is fully raises. If the bolt handle surface doesn't touch the action camming surface you don't get the primary extraction necessary to break looks the case from the chamber. If it's just a small timing error, try slapping the bolt up with the palm of your hand before pulling back. Sometimes that helps but it doesn't fix the real problem.

Replacing the Remington Bolt with a PT&G One-Piece is the most common cure although with a new rifle the factory should fix their own screw-up.

The next issue with a two piece Remington Bolt will be the handle itself coming off. Another argument for replacing with a one-piece rather than the usual cure of adding screws or tig welding the handle on.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post

Replacing the Remington Bolt with a PT&G One-Piece is the most common cure although with a new rifle the factory should fix their own screw-up.

The next issue with a two piece Remington Bolt will be the handle itself coming off. Another argument for replacing with a one-piece rather than the usual cure of adding screws or tig welding the handle on.
    Or buy a Howa that comes with a 1 piece bolt witha m16 extractor and a lighter firing pin.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

Sounds like it may be bolt timing or headspace issues which are easy to rule out. Either would be a certain return on a warrantied rifle.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Quote Originally Posted by mamalukino View Post
    Or buy a Howa that comes with a 1 piece bolt witha m16 extractor and a lighter firing pin.
    Yes, there is that however I don't think Remington would give him an exchange for a Howa.

What I find strange is that you go into just about any gunsmith in the country and they could write a list of common flaws with Remington rifles. Most of them are in the bolt and trigger assemblies. All this information is, I'm sure, making it's way to Remington but Remington doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Kind of like the automotive industry in the 70's.

I suppose that shooters are like car owners. "My daddy's always bought Remingtons and I ain't going to change". Same as "my daddy always bought Chevy/Ford/Dodge's and I ain't going to change".

Just like the German and Japanese cars did to the auto industry, maybe rifles like Howa's will do the same to the "we've been doing it this way for years" mentality will change. Then again-------

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    Sounds to me like poor/improper bolt timing which seems to be quite common with Remington bolts. When you lift the bolt after firing look to see if the camming surfaces at the back of the action and bolt handle are actually touching. I've seen them with a 3/16" gap when the bolt handle is fully raises. If the bolt handle surface doesn't touch the action camming surface you don't get the primary extraction necessary to break looks the case from the chamber. If it's just a small timing error, try slapping the bolt up with the palm of your hand before pulling back. Sometimes that helps but it doesn't fix the real problem.

I looked at the cam surfaces the other day and they do not contact when the bolt is fully raised. I'm positive the timing sucks; I just wasn't sure this could be causing the sticky bolt pull. It is reassuring to see it is likely the culprit. You're right about Remington being sloppy with this. When I checked this out the other I day, I also checked the other 700 actions I had and they all have the same timing problem.

I may get a new bolt for it...not sure if I want to drop the coin on it or just deal with it until my new build comes in. Not sure I'll be shooting this rifle much anymore after that.

I can't imagine sending a heavily modified rifle to Remington and them fixing my bolt timing. Maybe I should call and ask.
    Last edited by davisj3537; 01-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Can't one unsolder the handle, move it .055 clockwise or whatever it's out and solder or better yet, TIG weld?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads