Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!!

Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!!

This is a discussion on Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!! within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I just bought a new Remington 700 long range edition in 300 win Mag. The first couple of shots went fine but after a few ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    45

    Bolt is stuck in my new Remington 700!!

    I just bought a new Remington 700 long range edition in 300 win Mag. The first couple of shots went fine but after a few shots when you would go to eject the bolt won't slide back like its stuck. I can take a live round and cycle it in and out all I want but once I fire it I can't pull the bolt back. All help is appreciated.


    Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    708
    Your reloads or factory loads?

  3. #3
    Senior Member ddd oo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    4,275
    Did you clean the rifle before firing?

    Usually a sticky bolt is due to over pressure of some sort. Can you post a picture of the headstamp on the cartridges that were stuck?

    If you are handloading...your loads likely have too much powder in them.

    What ammo are you using? I have heard of this issue with superformance ammo.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

    Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Did you clean the rifle before firing?

    Usually a sticky bolt is due to over pressure of some sort. Can you post a picture of the headstamp on the cartridges that were stuck?

    If you are handloading...your loads likely have too much powder in them.

    What ammo are you using? I have heard of this issue with superformance ammo.
    I am using factory Winchester super x 150 grain but it doesn't say anything like high velocity.

    Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Senior Member Gunguy308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyT View Post
    I am using factory Winchester super x 150 grain but it doesn't say anything like high velocity.

    Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Take your rifle back to where you bought it and have it sent back to Remington to have the chamber polished. I had a 700 LR in 7mm mag that did the same thing. There was a burr in the chamber that made extraction very difficult. When it came back it worked like a dream. It feeds un fired rounds no problem, won't extract a spent casing without a lot of pressure. Look for a scraped spot on your spent brass. Mine was by the case head.

    Rem 700p .308 26"
    Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Mrad
    HS Precision stock
    Rem 700sps Tac .308 20"
    Magpul Hunter 700 with DBM
    Waiting on optics
    Rem 700sps .308 26"
    Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Mrad
    BC A3 stock with Wyatte DBM
    Last edited by Gunguy308; 01-10-2017 at 04:47 PM.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    Take your rifle back to where you bought it and have it sent back to Remington to have the chamber polished. I had a 700 LR in 7mm mag that did the same thing. There was a burr in the chamber that made extraction very difficult. When it came back it worked like a dream. It feeds un fired rounds no problem, won't extract a spent casing without a lot of pressure. Look for a scraped spot on your spent brass. Mine was by the case head.

    Rem 700p .308 26"
    Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Mrad
    HS Precision stock
    Rem 700sps Tac .308 20"
    Magpul Hunter 700 with DBM
    Waiting on optics
    Rem 700sps .308 26"
    Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Mrad
    BC A3 stock with Wyatte DBM
    Thank you I will be taking it back tomorrow!!

    Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Senior Member Gunguy308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyT View Post
    Thank you I will be taking it back tomorrow!!

    Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Remington quality control definitely dropped the ball on that 700 LR with having a rough chamber. When I bought mine brand new I was upset that this was allowed to leave the factory but I did give Remington the opportunity to fix their mistake which they did at no cost to me. I believe that how a company reacts to a problem is just as important as preventing them in the first place.
    Using federal 165gr game king ammo the rifle did consistently shoot sub MOA at a hundred yards and had no problem at 1100.
    Last edited by Gunguy308; 01-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    Remington quality control definitely dropped the ball on the 700 LR line with having rough Chambers. When I bought mine brand new I was upset that this was allowed to leave the factory but I did give Remington the opportunity to fix their mistake which they did at no cost to me. I believe that how a company reacts to a problem is just as important as preventing them in the first place.
    Using federal 165gr game king ammo the rifle did consistently shoot sub MOA at a hundred yards and had no problem at 1100.
    I got a good one in 30.06.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Gunguy308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I got a good one in 30.06.
    I should not have made such a broad statement. I have edited my previous post. Besides a rough chamber, rifle was great. My fiance shot this 3 round group at 100 yards with it.
    Last edited by Gunguy308; 01-10-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: I
    Hypo likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    I should not have made such a broad statement. I have edited my previous post. Besides a rough chamber, rifle was great. My fiance shot this 3 round group at 100 yards with it.
    Nice group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Remington 700 .308 bolt assembly/bolt plug wear
    By Goattman in forum Gunsmithing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
  2. Remington 700 Bolt jam??????
    By dmax_power24 in forum Rifles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 08:47 AM
  3. Help with action bolt and stock stuck.
    By fastgixxerlv in forum Rifles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
  4. stuck Remington 700 LTR ejector pin...
    By pazzo in forum Rifles
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 10:13 PM
  5. Remington 700 SA bolt
    By pure_mahem in forum Misc.
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Search tags for this page

bolt won't go back remington 700 300 win mag

Click on a term to search for related topics.