300 Win Mag and a Choate Stock

This is a discussion on 300 Win Mag and a Choate Stock within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello My Fello Snipers. I need to pick your brains, I have a Winchester Mdl 70 300 Mag long action. I've saved my pennys and ...

300 Win Mag and a Choate Stock

Hello My Fello Snipers.
    I need to pick your brains, I have a Winchester Mdl 70 300 Mag long action. I've saved my pennys and now I can afford a good stock for Maggy. What do you all think about the Choate Varment stock for it, should I get it or keep saving and get something else? what do you think. I bought it 3yrs ago from Wal-fart for $396.00 with a synthetic stock an a cheep scope, got rid of the scope and got a BSA Platnum seires 18x44, for $85.00
    Thanks in advace for your advice
    CPL. Marion M Miceli

My opinion:

Save up more pennies until you can afford a new barrel, stock, and scope.

If you must get a new stock, look at mcmillian, hs precision, or, as you mentioned, choate.

dom

P.S. Why did you ditch a cheepo scope, for a different cheepo scope? Not meaning to flame, but it's got me stumped.
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

Just my opinion on this. I have a few of the Choate stocks.I like them for function on the bench, but they're a bit heavy for hunting.Unless you plan to go to a heavy barrel,I'd think about something lighter.Maybe a B&C .
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Choate makes a good stock but it's application makes all the difference. If you plan to be shooting off hand I would suggest looking at McMillian. The choate stocks are feature packed but better for prone shooting. And I would also look at upgrading the glass.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

I've got a Choate Ultimate Sniper on my 308 VSSF. I like it from prone or the bench but would sure hate to carry it very far. It's heavy! Good solid stock.

Just recently got a new 700P in 300 Win Mag and am debating whether to put another Choate on it but am leaning to something else. Just a personal desire for variety more than anything else.
    Guns don't kill people. Sarah Brady does.

I have a couple of the Choate stocks, one is the Varminter that came with my Savage 308, and I like the stock, very nice solid stock, real good stability, though I shoot mostly from the bench. I agree carrying it around would be a job and a half.
    Savage .308 LE2A
    Mausers .308 Parker Hale HB
    Tikka T3 .243
    Marlin 917 .17HMR, VSF
    Enfields
    M39s

Ads