Howa 1500 HCR

Howa 1500 HCR

This is a discussion on Howa 1500 HCR within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So I finally pulled the trigger (so to speak) and picked up the Howa 1500 HCR in .308. It came with a 24" barrel, aluminum ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Howa 1500 HCR

Howa 1500 HCR

So I finally pulled the trigger (so to speak) and picked up the Howa 1500 HCR in .308. It came with a 24" barrel, aluminum chassis, fully adjustable buttstock, 10 round mag. After spending some time getting to know it after getting it home, I really like how it feels. The only major issue I have with it is the hard plastic "recoil pad". The .308 doesn't have the worst kick in the world, but I can't see this thing being comfortable for long days on the range. I probably won't get to shoot it until the snow melts, but if it shoots anything like my hunting rifle (Howa 1500 .308 with a hogue stock) I'll be more than pleased. Besides, it gives me a couple of weeks to get a shopping list together of the stuff I need to finish off the package for some long range shooting.

I'm new to the long range shooting thing, but after a ton of research here and other places, here's the list I have so far:

1. recoil pad. I'm not into self-flagellation, so if anyone knows of a pad that will help with comfort and fit a luth-ar mba-3, I'm all ears.
    2. 1 piece 20 moa scope base. is there a huge difference between steel and aluminum models? I picked up a cheap 2pc set, but I'm not at all happy with it. It will be good enough to get started, but this will probably be the first thing to be replaced.
    3. plug for the hollow ergo pistol grip. I also plan to stuff the cavity with foam to take out some of the hollow sound.
    4. anti-cant device. I have an on the rail model that I can try out, and I've ordered a scope-mounted one to test out.
    5. bipod. the one that's on there now is a cheapo model, but I'd like to get one of respectable quality as I intend to try to find some local competitions this summer.
    6. scope. I have a vortex crossfire 2 3-12x44 on it now as a temporary measure so I can at least break it in and get some shooting in, but I'm looking at saving up to get something respectable later this year. It will definitely be a vortex... I'm thinking probably a viper pst. maybe a razor hd if I can swing it.

So that's where I'm at for the moment. If anyone has any suggestions, thoughts or advice I'm totally open to them... like I said, I'm a newb to the long range thing.

A couple of crappy cell phone pics...

20170319_221923.jpg

20170319_222452.jpg
    Each man has inside him what I like to call the irreducible element of rascality. -- Alan Watts

.308 Howa 1500 HCR
    .308 Howa 1500
    .17mach2 Savage MK2
    .22lr Savage MK2

Beauty of a rifle!

I can't help you with #1

2: IMO you won't see any difference between a quality steel or Aluminum base. Try and find one with a recoil lug is my only recommendation.

5: IMO/Experience Atlas is the way I would go, the soft rubber feet, and ability to preload the bipod help tremendously with shooting off of a bipod. The Harris has hard rubber feet that slip, and it's harder to preload, not ideal.

That's all I can help with I guess, there use to be a thread on here that could help you get the trigger to feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mamalukino likes this.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Thanks for the tips, Rhyno. I actually really like the trigger on this rifle. And I've watched a bunch of videos on adjusting it, so I'm not incredibly worried about that part.

When you say to look for a base with a recoil lug, what do you mean? I thought the recoil lug was a part of the barrel/action assembly?

I'll check out Atlas bipods.
    Each man has inside him what I like to call the irreducible element of rascality. -- Alan Watts

.308 Howa 1500 HCR
    .308 Howa 1500
    .17mach2 Savage MK2
    .22lr Savage MK2

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You're right, but there's also bases with recoil lugs like pictured.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9.../Weav_Base.jpg

Joseph "Rhyno"

I see. Thanks for the pic. I'll have to keep that in mind. I assume that this helps to keep the rail in place during recoil?

Yup, otherwise it's just the screws.

Of course if you can't find one you can just epoxy the base to the action as well.

mamalukino likes this.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Instead of doing something with the butt stock pad, add a muzzle break. Not only will it save your shoulder, but you'll be able to see your bullet impact through the scope.

On the pistol grip, try a Magpul MOE +grip. The angle is great and the softer feel is comfy. It also doesn't sound hollow and cheap. They're only $20 so it's a cheap experiment if you don't like it.

Atlas bi-pods are awesome. But you can save some cash with a Harris. I got some adapters to put Atlas feet on my Harris. Because what Ryhno said about the Harris feet is all true.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

You might see if you can fit a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad on the luth AR stock. It may require some modification but it should help with the recoil punch.

As Norcal said a muzzle brake will really help to mitigate the recoil. I would seriously consider the brake, it will help your shooting considerably.
    Witt machine makes an excellent slip on brake that is custom made for your barrel, if you do not want to have the barrel threaded. I recently put one of the Witt slipons on my Howa 308 and do not regret it one bit. I put a dab of fingernail polish on the mating surface of the barrel and brake as a witness mark to notify if there is any slippage. After 194 rounds it has not moved.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Instead of doing something with the butt stock pad, add a muzzle break. Not only will it save your shoulder, but you'll be able to see your bullet impact through the scope.

On the pistol grip, try a Magpul MOE +grip. The angle is great and the softer feel is comfy. It also doesn't sound hollow and cheap. They're only $20 so it's a cheap experiment if you don't like it.

Atlas bi-pods are awesome. But you can save some cash with a Harris. I got some adapters to put Atlas feet on my Harris. Because what Ryhno said about the Harris feet is all true.
    I'll check out the grip and bipod. Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought of putting a brake on it, but this is becoming an intriguing idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamalukino View Post
    You might see if you can fit a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad on the luth AR stock. It may require some modification but it should help with the recoil punch.

As Norcal said a muzzle brake will really help to mitigate the recoil. I would seriously consider the brake, it will help your shooting considerably.
    Witt machine makes an excellent slip on brake that is custom made for your barrel, if you do not want to have the barrel threaded. I recently put one of the Witt slipons on my Howa 308 and do not regret it one bit. I put a dab of fingernail polish on the mating surface of the barrel and brake as a witness mark to notify if there is any slippage. After 194 rounds it has not moved.
    I'll loom into the limbsaver pad as well. Thanks for that! How much did the brake increase the noise of your .308? Did it really make it so you can see the impact through the scope?

Quote Originally Posted by jbradt View Post
    I'll check out the grip and bipod. Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought of putting a brake on it, but this is becoming an intriguing idea.

I'll loom into the limbsaver pad as well. Thanks for that! How much did the brake increase the noise of your .308? Did it really make it so you can see the impact through the scope?
    I know on my rifle adding the brake allowed me to spot my own hits. More so at further distance, than say 100 yards.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads