Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Finnish M39 Build

12K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Soloist 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently came into possession of a M39, and an even older Civil Guard SK stamped Nagant. The stock for both are pretty rough. Both have multiple cracks, and one looks like it has been Bondo'd back together. The rifle that is in the best condition is the M39. It is stamped 1939. The other one doesnt have a date stamp but bears the marking of one of the german companies that built new barrels for the Civil Guard. I havent done much research on it yet.

I want to bring the M39 back to its former glory. I can get a decent stock off of Ebay and other places, but I was considering going with a new composite (nothing like the ArchAngel thing) But I am on the fence about that.

The Barrel is in pretty good shape, the lands and grooves are in good shape. I still have a lot of cleaning to do, it ha cosmolean all in it. Ill get some pics up when I get home.

What are your thoughts on the best way to bring this old warrior back from the grave?

#5 · (Edited)
I may add a PE style scope to my Hex M39.
Here is a picture of an original M39 sniper.

Mine is a 1968 barrel date.
All Russian markings have been milled off by the Finns.
There are reproduction PE mounts that take 1 inch or the odd sized 26-27mm and 30mm tubes.

A repro and some 1970's -1980's era German glass to look like something that might have been an interim rifle before Sako came out with the TRG.

S&B or Hensoldt fixed 6 or 10X.

Bluegrass makes an interesting wooden stock.

Products ? Bluegrass Gunstocks

#8 · (Edited)
Scope needs to come back a couple of inches.
The RSI mount would do that.
Enough clearance for the bent bolt too.
A hand crafted leather cheek riser would complete it.
Rick Lowe at BrassStacker
https://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Butt-Stock-Ammo-Carrier-for-Mosin-Nagant-9130.html

Doesn't that just look like something a Finnish soldier would have while out hunting Stalinist invaders?

https://brassstacker.com/mosin-naga...ant-9130.html?mobile_mode=get_detailed_images

A smaller diameter ocular and objective lens would be a better choice.
Burlap for the hand guard and go for the full WW2 Rubble bombed out City look.

#11 · (Edited)
The PE and PU and the Rock Solid Industries mounts all have to be drilled and tapped.
There are some Scout style mounts available that replace the rear sight leaf and do not need to be drilled and tapped.
Here is the Accumounts reproduction PE

Finnish M39

They also have a repro scope and mount package for $299

I don't really care for the Scout style from RSI like Eric has here.

This is the low profile RSI That is set back.
It has two holes on the rail surface that are drilled and tapped into the top of the Hex and one on the rear.
You can build in some MOA by slightly raising the rear hole.

Here is the look through Trumount style.

I also like that thinned down style of modified bolt handle.
Hate the plastic stock... ugh.

This is more my style if I wanted a different stock.

I really prefer wood over plastic any day.
That is the original RSI mount before he started making the pic rail version.
If it weren't for the Chinese scope, that would be a rifle I would take anywhere.
Sigh.
Budgets, we all have one.

#13 ·
Working as a range officer at our local range I saw a really great idea to install a scope on a Mosin. Well, maybe not, a very decent Leupold scope went sky high and hit the ceiling before it hit the concrete. His "gunsmith" buddy drilled two holes right through the receiver and into the chamber. A bizillion tons of hot gas gave it a good launch.

#15 ·
i have a 91/30 with a pu type mount and a weaver rail, 6-18 nikon.
bbl cut to 24" recrowned, brake added with no holes on the bottom.
m1d cheek pad, harris bipod, reconfigured and re finisher oem stock.

the clue to any mil surplus shooting is an EXCELLENT bbl. all else is just fun stuff.
when i get permission/enough posts, i will post pics and TARGETS.
lets say 1 moa is not a challenge.

there is tons of stuff you can do to the 39, but try reloading and see what it can do first.
150 hornady hunting bullet works well. jump up to sierra or hornady 174 match.

#16 ·
Hello all,

I recently came into possession of a M39, and an even older Civil Guard SK stamped Nagant. The stock for both are pretty rough. Both have multiple cracks, and one looks like it has been Bondo'd back together. The rifle that is in the best condition is the M39. It is stamped 1939. The other one doesnt have a date stamp but bears the marking of one of the german companies that built new barrels for the Civil Guard. I havent done much research on it yet.

I want to bring the M39 back to its former glory. I can get a decent stock off of Ebay and other places, but I was considering going with a new composite (nothing like the ArchAngel thing) But I am on the fence about that.

The Barrel is in pretty good shape, the lands and grooves are in good shape. I still have a lot of cleaning to do, it ha cosmolean all in it. Ill get some pics up when I get home.

What are your thoughts on the best way to bring this old warrior back from the grave?

Are you sure that your 1939 dated rifle is an M39? If it is, do not change anything, because that would be an extremely rare M39.

I'm betting that it is an M28/30. That is more valuable than an m39 and also should not be messed with.

#25 ·
I have a 1940 barreled Fin 1891 based on an 1893 Chatellerault receiver. The markings seem to indicate capture at some point by the Austrians.

I also have an original 91/30 Sniper rifle that was among the first such rifles to be imported from Russia. It is NOT a reproduction.

I've never shot either rifle. When I want to experience 7.62x54R shooting, I use my Dragunov Tiger or my PSL-54.

#32 ·
Ok cool. I am glad to know what I have.

That is pretty much exactly what I have, except The stock did not come with the top hand guard, and the rear band was missing. The stock was pretty trashed, but I recognized it as a Finn, so I paid the 45 bucks the guy was asking.

You have a massive collection of MN's! That is both Very Cool, and kinda scary... You planning on a revolution?

#33 ·
I just got started collecting Finns and it kinda got away from me. No revolt planned.

To bad about the original stock. However, i wouldn't give up on restoring the rifle yet. A few years back, replacement stocks were commonly available. I bought a new 28/30 stock myself at the time. It is possible that a replacement could turn up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.