Savage 10 FCP-SR vs Bergara B-14 HMR

This is a discussion on Savage 10 FCP-SR vs Bergara B-14 HMR within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello All, I've been lurking for quite a while, and I'm ready to take the plunge into precision shooting. I'm an ok shot right now. ...

Hello All,

I've been lurking for quite a while, and I'm ready to take the plunge into precision shooting. I'm an ok shot right now. I want to work on becoming a better marksman and work my way up to long range shooting. So, I'm planning on buying my first bolt gun; all of my other rifles are ARs or AKs.

Originally, I'd decided that I'd get it in 308. I have a good supply of 308 ammo already and I read that you should start with 308 and that when you can do everything that it can do, then you should move up into a more LR focused cartridge. I posted on another forum that I was looking for my first bolt gun and that I'd be using it 99.9% of the time to punch paper and hit steel. But, if there was some sort of collapse in the food supply, I'd use it to hunt. They all steered me to 6.5 Creedmoor. After doing my research, I don't think that's a bad idea. So, I've narrowed my choices down to two rifles:

Savage 10 FCP-SR Right now I can get it for about $550 after rebate.
    Bergara B-14 HMR for about $950

The Savage has a 2" longer barrel, but I think the Bergara is the better rifle. I'm not sure if it's $400 better though.

What do you all think?

Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated.

JRC

I saw the video on the Berga rifle the other day and thought wow what a great starter gun. I don't have an experience with those rifles, but it looks like a great gun. The action is a 700 clone, so buying a base and rings is easy. I do think its better than the Savage. There isn't a whole lot out there on them to know how much better.

Savage rifles can be very accurate. But they have other issues. The bolt ergos on them is horrible. (spend some time on a 700/tikka/howa then use a Savage, you'll feel it right away) They are known to have faliure to feed/eject issues. Lastly they craftsmenship on them is mass production at best.

Now if your not confussed enough already I'm going to suggest something else for you. Since you have AR's now, it would be an easy transition to a chassis style rifle. The fit and feel of them are very similar. You can get a Howa 1500 6.5CM barreled action, then drop it into a quality chassis for about $1000. We have several guys on here that have gone this route and they like the setups.

Howa Barreled Action HOWA 1500 BARRELED ACTION VARMINT HEAVY BARREL BLUE 6.5 CREEDMOOR #6 | Brownells

MDT Chassis https://mdttac.com/
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I've been lurking for quite a while, and I'm ready to take the plunge into precision shooting. I'm an ok shot right now. I want to work on becoming a better marksman and work my way up to long range shooting. So, I'm planning on buying my first bolt gun; all of my other rifles are ARs or AKs.

Originally, I'd decided that I'd get it in 308. I have a good supply of 308 ammo already and I read that you should start with 308 and that when you can do everything that it can do, then you should move up into a more LR focused cartridge. I posted on another forum that I was looking for my first bolt gun and that I'd be using it 99.9% of the time to punch paper and hit steel. But, if there was some sort of collapse in the food supply, I'd use it to hunt. They all steered me to 6.5 Creedmoor. After doing my research, I don't think that's a bad idea. So, I've narrowed my choices down to two rifles:

Savage 10 FCP-SR Right now I can get it for about $550 after rebate.
    Bergara B-14 HMR for about $950

The Savage has a 2" longer barrel, but I think the Bergara is the better rifle. I'm not sure if it's $400 better though.

What do you all think?

Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated.

JRC
    The Bergara B-14 HMR is a great value at $900. Smooth as butter action, and you will not have to replace the stock.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Ads