6.5 CM Build - Page 2

6.5 CM Build

This is a discussion on 6.5 CM Build within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; How much does a quality bedding job cost? I assume even though some manufacturers claim none is necessary, it's just better to do it. I'll ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 6.5 CM Build

How much does a quality bedding job cost? I assume even though some manufacturers claim none is necessary, it's just better to do it. I'll add it to the list. Thanks

Many manufacturers claim it is not necessary. I can pull my barreled actions out of a bedded stock and put them back in without poi change. The AI chassis I had without bedding required 4-5 shots before it would settle in. I don't intend to have a conventional rifle again that is not bedded.

Bedding costs somewhere around $200 from a good smith.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

You can always put bedding on the to do list. It is great to start with it, but not necessary.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Yes it will probably won't get done immediately. But sounds like a good idea.

Bedding is absolutely necessary if you want any kind of consistency at all with a conventional stock. Now...if the stock has a aluminum bedding block you can get by with it for a while...but not with a standard stock.
    blwebster likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new here and have searched but am unable to find an answer. I apologize if this has been asked before. I am new to long range precision shooting. And am very new to "building" one. A reputable gun smith will be doing all my work. I own many guns but I want to build one from the ground up for this purpose. My range has a max of 1000 yards so I want to work my way up. I'm undecided on a traditional stock or a chassis. With a $1500-$2000 budget (insert wife throwing her arms in the air here) a nice chassis may be out of the question. I just want an accurate rifle that I won't outgrow anytime soon. I already have optics I think will suffice (6-24 x 50) so thats not in the equation. On with my question.

Would I be better off to purchase a cheaper action like a Remington 700 and a better barrel, like Krieger or such? Do you think I should do the opposite or just stay midrange on both? I have looked at rifles like the Ruger RPR. I loved the gun but, the feel of the action and the perceived quality of the stock makes me hesitate. Although I have heard of their accuracy, which still makes it a temptation. I just don't want to "have" to spend a bunch more later.

I think I've settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor as I will just be punching paper and maybe an occasional varmint. My 7mm Mag will suffice for anything else.

Thank you for your insight.

Paco
    Does the scope have adjustable turrets, with reliable tracking? because you can stick a scope on a 9mm and shoot 1000y, but if the scope dont work, a firing solution wont help.

As to your your rifle.
    1. Cartridge- 6.5 creed is fine, so im not talking you out of it. Just make sure its something that is accessible in your area, and perhaps variety different options. Some loads fly better out of an individual barrel then others so, options are always good.
    2. if you want to build then its my opinion that Remington receiver is the way to build on. More options and accessories marketable to the 700. Make sure you have a barrel long enough to give you enough velocity, with the right twist to give the bullet the most stability, for heavier grain ammo...because those are the projectiles that typically have the highest bc by trade.
    3. I would just go on Budsguns and get a Remington 700 LR. Save the money and spend it in training, one can build a million dollar gun, but for most it doesn't help hit steel down range.
    4. Look out for cartridges that have a quicker throat erosion. Belted Magnums especially. Some of the best LR cartridges are barrel burners.
    5. Have you considered a ballistic solver of some type, like kestrel ab? or will you use a phone app?
    6. chassis look cool, but arent always necessary. The idea is to have a metallic bedding block, something to keep the stock from flexing during recoil. The precision hunter in short action has been pretty good on my .308 very modular and drop in friendly. My XLR for my .300 wm, took a little work and i switched my barrel lug to a m40 lug, that got the harmonics back in tune. Bell and Carlson stocks are the tits, they dont look as cool as the tactical shit, but never had an accuracy problem with B&C.
    7. 20-30 moa scope mount. Having ups is good.
    8. Barrels. Most barrels from respectable companies..or even the factory will shoot better than most shooters. I dont care what anyone says. Yes, there are times when factory stuff is all fucked up, especially remingtons declining quality control, but the odds will dictate a factory barrel will be good enough. Stainless generally are cut a little better in the lands and grooves however. Probably last longer too.
    9. Accuracy is consistency, so as flex and vibrations take place. The gun needs to be repeatable. Everything mounted nice and tight, and the barrel not making contact with parts of the stock, firm stock that with a bedded block with the receiver torqued down to the right spec, stock to receiver bedded to tolerance...that will get you accuracy. The precision part will be on you.
    10. My girl made a 900 and something yard shoot with a mk12 spr. handload 75gr hornady bthp. I looked at the firing solution, she hit that water jug waaaaay past transonic. Point being you can pretty much use whatever. You can make it work with a half decent rifle, a lot of ballistic science smarts, and the fundamentals of marksman ship.

Quote Originally Posted by d.f.anonymous View Post
    Does the scope have adjustable turrets, with reliable tracking? because you can stick a scope on a 9mm and shoot 1000y, but if the scope dont work, a firing solution wont help.

As to your your rifle.
    1. Cartridge- 6.5 creed is fine, so im not talking you out of it. Just make sure its something that is accessible in your area, and perhaps variety different options. Some loads fly better out of an individual barrel then others so, options are always good.
    2. if you want to build then its my opinion that Remington receiver is the way to build on. More options and accessories marketable to the 700. Make sure you have a barrel long enough to give you enough velocity, with the right twist to give the bullet the most stability, for heavier grain ammo...because those are the projectiles that typically have the highest bc by trade.
    3. I would just go on Budsguns and get a Remington 700 LR. Save the money and spend it in training, one can build a million dollar gun, but for most it doesn't help hit steel down range.
    4. Look out for cartridges that have a quicker throat erosion. Belted Magnums especially. Some of the best LR cartridges are barrel burners.
    5. Have you considered a ballistic solver of some type, like kestrel ab? or will you use a phone app?
    6. chassis look cool, but arent always necessary. The idea is to have a metallic bedding block, something to keep the stock from flexing during recoil. The precision hunter in short action has been pretty good on my .308 very modular and drop in friendly. My XLR for my .300 wm, took a little work and i switched my barrel lug to a m40 lug, that got the harmonics back in tune. Bell and Carlson stocks are the tits, they dont look as cool as the tactical shit, but never had an accuracy problem with B&C.
    7. 20-30 moa scope mount. Having ups is good.
    8. Barrels. Most barrels from respectable companies..or even the factory will shoot better than most shooters. I dont care what anyone says. Yes, there are times when factory stuff is all fucked up, especially remingtons declining quality control, but the odds will dictate a factory barrel will be good enough. Stainless generally are cut a little better in the lands and grooves however. Probably last longer too.
    9. Accuracy is consistency, so as flex and vibrations take place. The gun needs to be repeatable. Everything mounted nice and tight, and the barrel not making contact with parts of the stock, firm stock that with a bedded block with the receiver torqued down to the right spec, stock to receiver bedded to tolerance...that will get you accuracy. The precision part will be on you.
    10. My girl made a 900 and something yard shoot with a mk12 spr. handload 75gr hornady bthp. I looked at the firing solution, she hit that water jug waaaaay past transonic. Point being you can pretty much use whatever. You can make it work with a half decent rifle, a lot of ballistic science smarts, and the fundamentals of marksman ship.
    Scope is a new Viper Hst 6-24x50. Far from the top of the line but if it doesn't work properly I'll send it back.

1. Yes between Sportsmans warehouse, and Cabelas, which both are local they seem pretty available.
    2. 1 in 8 twist. Exact length undetermined but blank comes 31. So minus inch from gunsmith most would be 30"
    3. I'm not in a hurry. I have other guns I can practice with until I get around to starting this.
    4. Ok good to know I'll read into that.
    5. Have played with Nikons app. But have heard there are more. Have to check some out.
    6. I'm not stuck on chassis or stock. Just exploring the options. That is honestly the last thing I'll worry about.
    7. The one NorCal pointed out seemed adequate.
    8. I do believe that most barrels will outshoot most people
    9. That's why I need to find a GOOD gunsmith.
    10. Nice!

Thanks for taking the time, some good points here.

Paco, where are you located?
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Portland Oregon

Well I was going to say if you were near me, I'd let you try my rifle out to help you get an idea.

Are you against sending the rifle parts off to a Smith? Travis and TS customs has done work a several guys on here and builds awesome rifles.

-Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads