6.5 CM Build

6.5 CM Build

This is a discussion on 6.5 CM Build within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello everyone! I'm new here and have searched but am unable to find an answer. I apologize if this has been asked before. I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 6.5 CM Build

6.5 CM Build

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and have searched but am unable to find an answer. I apologize if this has been asked before. I am new to long range precision shooting. And am very new to "building" one. A reputable gun smith will be doing all my work. I own many guns but I want to build one from the ground up for this purpose. My range has a max of 1000 yards so I want to work my way up. I'm undecided on a traditional stock or a chassis. With a $1500-$2000 budget (insert wife throwing her arms in the air here) a nice chassis may be out of the question. I just want an accurate rifle that I won't outgrow anytime soon. I already have optics I think will suffice (6-24 x 50) so thats not in the equation. On with my question.

Would I be better off to purchase a cheaper action like a Remington 700 and a better barrel, like Krieger or such? Do you think I should do the opposite or just stay midrange on both? I have looked at rifles like the Ruger RPR. I loved the gun but, the feel of the action and the perceived quality of the stock makes me hesitate. Although I have heard of their accuracy, which still makes it a temptation. I just don't want to "have" to spend a bunch more later.

I think I've settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor as I will just be punching paper and maybe an occasional varmint. My 7mm Mag will suffice for anything else.

Thank you for your insight.

Paco

Any gun you buy in the $1500-$2000 range you will want to upgrade in the future if you keep shooting.

You have just about enough money though to buy a Rem 700 in a HS precision stock and have it trued rebarreled. The chamber and barrel are the biggest downfall on Remington 700's. I would call Travis at TS Customs and have him turn you a benchmark barrel for the rifle.

If you have money left in the end I would buy a trigger. The stock will work for now...especially if you have it bedded...but you will eventually want to upgrade it if you get serious about shooting.

The RPR's are good...sometimes, but not all of them are. The one I held left a lot to be desired as far as fit and finish go. The thing about any factory rifle is that it is hit and miss. Some will shoot well and some won't. That variable will be eliminated with a custom barrel installed by a good smith.

The other option is to use a factory barreled action and then you would have the money for a nice chassis. However I believe your initial investment would be better spent on a custom barrel.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I was in your position about a year ago. If I was doing it all over again I would do it differently.

The first option I would consider would be a Howa barreled action from Brownells. I've read that the barrel, action and trigger are pretty good for factory. Then put that in the stick or chassis of your choice.

The second option would be a custom barrel of your choosing, a blue printed PTG action, PTG bottom metal, Timney trigger and then stock or chassis of your choosing.

I have no experience with either, just some ideas I wish I would have considered myself a year ago.
    Remington 700 Varmint
    Grayboe Renegade Stock (McMillan A5 style)
    Timney 517 trigger

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I've gone this route three times. First was a Remington 5-R Milspec that I shot for several years after paying $1100 for it. Today, all that remains of the original rifle is the action tube with the name Remington on it along with a Serial number. Total investment for new Chassis, Barrel, Stock, Grip ended up just under $3,000 (including original rifle).

Second time I bought an SPS Tactical, shot it for a while, then went the same route as first time with same chassis, etc, and total cost again including original rifle, was around $2,000.

Third rifle was built on a Savage 10T and adding just chassis and new barrel brought the cost up to $2500.

The above costs don't include Optics or Bipods which exceeded the cost of the basic rifle by an average of 1.5 times.

All three rifles shoot .25 MOA or better with handloads.

Bear9350 has suggested a great way to get a great shooting rifle for a reasonable amount of money. A suggestion though, DO NOT get cheap on a barrel. Buy a top line barrel like Bartlein, Benchmark, Krieger, etc. Don't try to economize on the barrel. That's the single most important piece of a rifle's accuracy. The rest either holds the barrel in position to be shot or handles getting the ammo in position, again to be shot.

Thank you for your thoughts. All sounds like good advice! I need to sit down and figure out how the pie is getting split up..
    As suggested, barrel first. After action and trigger I'll see what's left for furniture. I took a quick peek at the PTG actions. That may be a good option. I'll also check out TS Customs.
    The Howa barreled actions would by far be the most economical. I would like to see one in person.
    Last edited by Paco; 04-20-2017 at 10:51 AM.

The howa hcr seems to be a nice option if your wanting a chassis.

Here's a run down of parts that you could buy to have a budget custom built up...

Action/bolt/trigger $435 Remington Action - Short 700 - 308 Bolt Face - Repeater: Bruno Shooters Supply
    Barrel $350 Krieger Barrel - 6.5 Caliber - 1-8.5 Twist - Remington Varmint: Bruno Shooters Supply
    Recoil Lug $40
    Stock $350 https://www.grayboe.com/product-page/banshee
    Bottom Metal $130 Remington (SA) 700 Detachable Mag Bottom Metal - Stealth M5 Style - Pacific Tool and Gauge
    Scope Base $116 Nightforce 1-Piece 20 MOA Picatinny-Style Scope Base Remington 700

Total $1521. Now figure tax, shipping, FFL fees on top of that for another $200. All you'll need the smith to do is spin up the barrel and install it. Everything else you can bolt together on your own. Thats about the best budget list I can think of. Quality parts all around, but still not going crazy.

Like others on here said you can always go with a factory setup and run it with the factory barrel for a while, then add the custom barrel later on. If your not 100% sold on a chassis, don't get a RPR. The way its designed, your stuck using it as a chassis forever. With a Remington or Howa you can try out a number of different stocks or chassis by simply swapping them out.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Thank you for putting that list together Norcalfocus. That helps a lot, I appreciate it. I think Im settled on the Krieger barrel and the Rem 700 action. Now I just need to get my meat hooks on a few stocks and chassis to see what's the most comfortable. Good call on the RPR. It's off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Thank you for putting that list together Norcalfocus. That helps a lot, I appreciate it. I think Im settled on the Krieger barrel and the Rem 700 action. Now I just need to get my meat hooks on a few stocks and chassis to see what's the most comfortable. Good call on the RPR. It's off the table.
    Also ordering from the barrel and action from one place will save you money on the shipping. Bruno's also has the recoil lugs. I just got one for myself.

As far as the chassis vs stock deal....if your used to AR's a chassis is a easy transition. Stocks are a lot cheaper to start with. A MDT chassis will cost you about $500, and you'll still need to add a AR buttstock and pistol grip to it. With the Grayboe I posted, your money ahead in the fact it comes inletted already for a M5 bottom metal. Slap a strap on cheek riser on there and go to town. Later on you can have someone cut out and install a mechanical cheek riser in that stock.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Chassis are cheaper than quality stocks if you want drop mag and fully adjustable.

A good bottom metal is $250 or more. Badger and surgeon are closer to $350. Fully adjustable stocks (without bottom metal) are about $550 for an entry level manners.

Also...whether you go with a stock or chassis you should consider having it bedded. A good bedding job is necessary to repeatable precision.
    exsimguy1 likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads