Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08) - Page 3

Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08)

This is a discussion on Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08) within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by shooter212 Wish I had had a TacOps rifle when I went through sniper school back in '90. AND, I wish that we ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tactical Operations Response (UPDATE - 1/22/08)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter212
    Wish I had had a TacOps rifle when I went through sniper school back in '90. AND, I wish that we were even given the opportunity to clean bores after every 3rd round. I had a great platform(no names so no slams) that would shoot under 1/2 moa all day long. But, because of lack of knowledge from some LE trainers and time constraints, we were made to shoot up to 60 rounds between cleaning. I even got in "hot water" when I stopped shooting and tried to clean my bore. The rifle will still, after 5,000+ rounds will shoot under 3/4moa. I would think that is fairly good after the abuse "Baby" has taken. Anyway, the point of all this is, is to support your statement about barrel life and just like your car...if you change the oil every 3K miles, you are going to have much longer life from your barrel and your car. Shoot your rifle, clean it, respect it, and it will give you many years of great service. Thanks.
    Shooter, you are right about the schools not giving you an opportunity to clean very often. I am an instructor and I don't give much time on certain courses either. I have a PSS rifle that I used during my sniper school training days which got pretty abused. The Tangos get fired at least once a week for qual, and they get a 3 shot max between bore cleaning.
    Professionals that demand nothing less than the best, demand Tac Ops.

Not starting any BS here, promise. The Kentucky State Police actually worked with Federal to make the Gold Medal .308 ammo so it would be the only ammo shot through their issue rifles. I have a good buddy from Ky that was on their SRT team and was a shooter. He gave me a lot of good info about Federal's ammo like powder used, bullets, and some other stuff that I can't remember. Anyway he sold me my first 500rd case of the old red and white box match stuff and I'm here to tell you, if TacOps rifles will shoot 1/4moa, so will Federal. I have 3 different rifles I shoot periodically, but the 2 I like the most is an FN A3G promised to group under 1/2moa. For a five shot group c-t-c I posted a .393" group. On my other rifle, a stock PSS700 Remington with a trigger I tuned shot a 3 shot group of .0954 with the new blue and white box Fed 308M. I don't think the ammo is going to be a problem and I am dying to get my hands on a TacOps rifle to shoot. Thought you might find it interesting about KY State Police and what they found with Federal. Peace and Happy Holidays everyone.
    "Firearms are tools; an means to an end. When a carpenter chooses a tool, he does so because it is the right tool for the job. So to, should it be with the professional shooter" Res Ipsa Loquitur

Shooter, you are right about the schools not giving you an opportunity to clean very often. I am an instructor and I don't give much time on certain courses either. I have a PSS rifle that I used during my sniper school training days which got pretty abused. The Tangos get fired at least once a week for qual, and they get a 3 shot max between bore cleaning.
    Thanks for understanding. You know during quals you may have to shoot 10 - 15 rounds without cleaning or if it is a stage of fire, but though these guys were trained by Maj. Plaster himself, you would think that during the first week of shooting, the pace could be slowed down to allow proper mainenence. You sound like the kind of instructor that at least allows that much and with the invention of the 'bore snake' it doesn't take as long to cleans the fouling out of the barrel. Knew you were a BTDT so Hat's off to you. Thanks.
    "Firearms are tools; an means to an end. When a carpenter chooses a tool, he does so because it is the right tool for the job. So to, should it be with the professional shooter" Res Ipsa Loquitur

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You know, after reading all of this, I think this thread really sucks. I also don't like Mike either, he is evil. Anyone that would put that much time, effort and craftsmanship into something has got to be insane!

But the main reason I hate Mike after reading all this is, I have to start saving money for a freakin TacOps rifle now!
    Eric - Wanna Be Long Range Shooter
    Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec .308 w/Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm
    Hidden Content

TacOps motto: DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME which also equates to: DON'T HATE THE RIFLE, HATE THE GROUPS"

Others do! :lol:
    RIP 27 February, 2014

We greatly appreciated the years of your life you spent with all of us. Sleep well, brother.

LOL

I will write that down lonewolf!
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by mgcchkn
    You know, after reading all of this, I think this thread really sucks. I also don't like Mike either, he is evil. Anyone that would put that much time, effort and craftsmanship into something has got to be insane!

But the main reason I hate Mike after reading all this is, I have to start saving money for a freakin TacOps rifle now!

I Know, I know, It must suck to be US! I mean here we are saving change from McDonald's happy meals and stealing ketchup from the carry out just to try and get enough money to buy a rifle that probably won't shoot anyway. :lol: I sure hope my wife doesn't divorce me when she finds out I put a down payment on a rifle instead of a new car for her! Oops!

Shooter,

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission :wink:

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by navyrigger46
    Shooter,

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission :wink:

Rigger
    Obviously you aren't married or at least never met my wife. Been married for 31 years and she still remembers I forgot her birthday the second year we were married :lol: :twisted: No, really I have the best wife in the world. She not only insists I go to the range and shoot, but tells me to have a good time and when gun show time comes around, she even gives me money!!!! How great is that! I told her about the TacOps rifle and even knows how much it costs. The fact that I don't have any broken bones and have all my fingers (trigger finger especially) must mean she really...really...really loves me! Who's got a better wife than me?

No I am married and your wife sounds alot like mine infact she has given me the green light on alot of high priced items. She also bought me a preban S.A. M1A on a whim. Yea, she rocks I know

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads