Rem 700 SPS-Varmint Review

This is a discussion on Rem 700 SPS-Varmint Review within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Exactly, for those of us who can't fork out $700+ for a good stocked rifle, I'll take the cheaper stock and be able to pick ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Exactly, for those of us who can't fork out $700+ for a good stocked rifle, I'll take the cheaper stock and be able to pick a aftermarket stock that suits my needs and fits me.

Read more about the SPS-V or the SPS-T before you pass judgement.

After reading this review I am torn. Mel just had to release a review around the same time I am saving up for a new rifle, and it has to be on the exact same model I finally decided to go with.

Now I am trying to decide between the standard Model 700 SPS .308 or the Varmint .308. Being a poor college student I think both are decent choices, but I have to weigh the pros and cons of both.

I think a varmint 308 is in my future. The thicker barrel diameter means I'll likely shoot out the stock barrel and then upgrade the barrel and accurize the action at the same time.

I shouldered a SPS last week and the stock was pretty uncomfortable. I'm yet to find a varmint to shoulder, however I have a 700 VSSF that I plan to restock already, and I like the VSSF stock and it would go nicely on a SPS varmint and the barrel contour would be about right

I'm just a starving graduate student, so the SPS line is a good idea for my future in the short term. That way I can buy more ammo

Quote Originally Posted by willyCJ
    I'm just a starving graduate student, so the SPS line is a good idea for my future in the short term. That way I can buy more ammo
    Exactly the reason I am looking at the SPS line. I only have one year left of my bachelor program, but 20 years of debt left. I am hoping I will be able to get a SPS and upgrade it over time.

MEL,Thanks for the great review!
    "...the states cannot, even laying the constitutional provision in question out of view, prohibit the people from keeping and bearing arms..." U.S. Supreme Court, 1886

I shouldered a SPS last week and the stock was pretty uncomfortable.
    That's odd, I owned an SPS for a while, and of all the rifles I've ever handled or shot, the stock on that rifle had the most comfortable shape of them all, aside from being a chinsy piece of crap. I've never heard of someone not liking the shape, just the material. To each his own I guess.

The varmint stock is identical to the standard SPS stock, with the addition of the wider beavertail forened, which I find pretty fugly.

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Ok so i bought a remington sps in june when i got back from iraq and i had some high ambitions to take a college budget and make a half decent stick. now i started following the sub 850 remington article and i opted for the ultimate sniper stock(some say ugly but its matter of preferance) i got the new mag box and recoil lug also and was ready to send my action out to er shaw to throw a contour #4 24inch with straight fluting on. with all the little things i wanted done i came to a grand total of $524 out the door. well in the process of doing some shooting with my pops(never fired a weapon before) he really started enjoying it. then comes out the SPS-V now from what i have seen the whole stick is about 550 same as my barrel project. now my question is i may want to buy an SPS-V and take the barrel and action put it in my choate stock take my old remington trigger and use that(adjusted it) and give the new trigger to the old sps and throw that in the SPS-V stock. Therefor my father would have a rifle to shoot with me. now i know that barrel wise the SPS-V is a step down from my ER shaw project bit it is a step up from the plain sps barrel and i will also get a second action for roughly the same price as just a barrel from er shaw. Please give me some thoughts and if it will even work. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monteboy84
    I shouldered a SPS last week and the stock was pretty uncomfortable.
    That's odd, I owned an SPS for a while, and of all the rifles I've ever handled or shot, the stock on that rifle had the most comfortable shape of them all, aside from being a chinsy piece of crap. I've never heard of someone not liking the shape, just the material. To each his own I guess.

The varmint stock is identical to the standard SPS stock, with the addition of the wider beavertail forened, which I find pretty fugly.

-matt
    Thats in large part my problem with hunting/sporter stocks is that they aren't wide enough in the frontend for my hands. I have a 270 with a narrow barrel and narrow front contour. I've burned my fingertips on it a time or two... I'll admit that stocks are certainly personal preference...I prefer the varmit one, perhaps due in large part to the wider front end.

Just as an FYI for anyone looking for one of these, I chatted with my local dealer today. He called 2 suppliers while I was there. Price was $549. One supplier had only seen ONE sps-varmint. I don't have an exact number that his other supplier had seen, but it was a pretty small number too (thought they may have a 308 in stock). Anyway, expect supply problems if you go looking for one of these. Granted can't be worse than the Kimber Covert I just ordered (6-8 week before they start making the darn thing!).

In my opinion, anything that can give you the chance to spend some time on the range with your father is well worth it. Some of my fondest memories of my father are the times spent hunting and fishing. Looking back now with my adult perspective, they were the only times he could actually relax away from the pressures of life.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
    -- Rudyard Kipling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads