Savage 110 Tactical 7mm Rem Mag.

This is a discussion on Savage 110 Tactical 7mm Rem Mag. within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am purchasing the above rifle new in box. This is a pre-accutrigger rifle. I will have $464.95 in the rifle. Is this about normal?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Savage 110 Tactical 7mm Rem Mag.

I am purchasing the above rifle new in box. This is a pre-accutrigger rifle. I will have $464.95 in the rifle. Is this about normal?

Sounds not only normal but I'd almost expect to pay more.
    Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem.
    Ruger Mini-14 '580' is up next.
    Then later, a Rem. 700 of some sort.

I have the exact same rifle that I purchased used from a friend...totally worth that price. Just remember that ammo is a killer, cheap factory junk is more than a buck a round and will eat your shoulder for breakfast.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd of got it in 30'06 or dropped down to its little brother (10fp tactical) and got a 308. Also remember that bases for the accutrigger and pre-accutrigger models are not interchangable. The rear receiver is either round or flat respectively.

You also might want to check the barrel to make it's freefloated to the barrel nut before you purchase, mine was not (gave me a good reason to throw some money at it.

Just throwing my only complaints at you, I highly recommend the gun and the round is pretty darn flat shooing. Its definately worth that price tag.
    "The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers..."

I plan on restocking the rifle anyway. Also I plan on building one of the $800 builds in 308. Anyone know about stock availabilty for this rifle?

I had a fellow who wished to sell me a Savage7mm Mag Tactical rifle. Due to the heft of the rifle, it really wasn't bad on the shoulder at all. It was about like a .30-06 hunting rifle.The ammo is expensive, but if you plan to shoot it a lot, get a reloading setup.I load for a 7mm STW, and I shoot them for less than 75 cents a round, more like 30 cents if I shoot cheap bullets.At the time , the fellow was hurting for cash. I wished I had the .300 bucks he wanted for it.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

If you plan on the $800 build, then I wouldn't spend $464 on that rifle. You want to find the cheapest action for the build if that is your path. Look for a Stevens 200 and save some green. They go for about $250 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

So far as the price on that rifle, it isn't bad, but not spectacular. I recently bought a 112 with a stainless fluted barrel for a little over $500. My price was in the same arena as yours. However, the rifle was exactly what I wanted and NIB pre-accutrigger Savages aren't too common anymore.

Consider that you can get a 10FP at SW for about $480. If the rifle isn't exactly what you want, I'd keep looking.

The stocks for the 110's are interchangable between the flat and rear recievers, so stock availability is as good as any other long-action Savage.

I just had an amazing experience with Combatstocks.com who sells the Choate stocks for $150 shipped.

Below is a link to all the 110 parts at Midwayusa, you can get a good feel for your options that way.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...0560***9146***
    "The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers..."

That should be a very good rifle. Savage make a fine rifle, the stocks suck for the rifles themselves are quite good. You will like the 7mm Rem Mag. However like has been said before the ammo is expensive and it kicks like a mule. However if you start reloading and either add a muzzle brake or build the rifle so that it is heavy your shoulder should be OK. By the way you said something about doing the sub $800 build off of it. I would look at the Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock. I know that they are ugly but they are functional and the extra weight will help with the recoil.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I plan on doing the $800 build in addition to this rifle. End up with two sticks. Thanks guys for your input.

what are wanting to do with this rifle? target? tacitcal? hunting?

The 7mm rem mag caliber is a great long range round, but like some have already said its not friendly on the shoulder. is this your first rifle? are you ok with a heavy rifle? if you plan shooting it alot you might want to get into reloading due to the cost of ammo :? and there is only one maker of match grade ammo but it is load weak imo.
    Roses are red, my locktite is blue, without any ammo, what am I to do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads