Rifle Break-in error

Rifle Break-in error

This is a discussion on Rifle Break-in error within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Bought a Remington 700 Police DM; and somehow thought my buddy had already done the break-in (clean after each round). Turns out he didn't; and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rifle Break-in error

Bought a Remington 700 Police DM; and somehow thought my buddy had already done the break-in (clean after each round). Turns out he didn't; and I fired 24 rounds in a row. Is the barrel ruined - does it have to go to Remington to be re-barrelled? If I just do a good cleaning with Hoppes and get the copper out well and then go back to a normal break-in regimen; is the weapon savable? I was hoping I could save it with maybe a good cleaning and then a fire-lapping. Is this possible?

It's surely not ruined. Clean it and go shoot it. I haven't broke in either of my centerfire rifles, and I have upwards of 700rnds through my .22-250 and it's still a consistant .75moa rifle.

The Tubbs Final Finish Bullets won't hurt, try them.

dom
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

Administrator
    Shoot no...what hypno said: just clean up the barrel and keep shooting, it's just fine. The verdict is still out on whether or not "breaking in" a barrel is really necessary at ALL. Oh, and until you know how she's gonna shoot, leave the fire-lapping out of the picture because this:

Quote Originally Posted by hypno
    The Tubbs Final Finish Bullets won't hurt, try them.
    is not necessarily true....

Just my opinion,
    Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you compleatly destroyed the rifle. You need to ship it to me immedatly before it injures you or your family. :wink:

Actually no, rifle break in procedures are a myth IMHO. While the rifle will tend to break in and shoot better after some rounds have go through it, you really don't get any benefit from some exotic cleaning procedure during the first few rounds. As long as you don't overheat the barrel and keep on shooting you will be fine. In fact you should not overheat ANY barrel no matter how many rounds it has through it.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Quote Originally Posted by wargone
    Hey SAP,
    By no means is that thing ruined.
    I was stressed all last night. I bought it for a friend; but then you know how it is - you get it home and then say "no way this leaves the collection". I shoot 24 rounds and got it sighted in; and then did some groups of about 1" or so and brought it back up to the house. I put a Pentax Lightseeker on it (which I did on my other PSS, by the way). I ordered 168 gr turrets today from Mark Kenton. I also ordered some 4 round magazines on e-bay. I am looking forward to loving on this one as much as I love on my other PSS. They look so profoundly different - one is fluted 20" and the other is heavy contour 26". Once I get the bipod and whatnot put on it and finish it out; I will take some pictures of both of them together.

Hey Sap, the rifle will be fine. just give it a good cleaning and shoot it a whole bunch more. In my opinion the break in thing is a bit overrated. I have never done any "breakin drill" on one of my rifles, and they all shoot great.

Take care brother

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

Why do they say break in the barrel, i know they say fire a round and then let it cool down, surely it cant be a heat thing as when they heat treat the barrels they are glowing red hot. I know they are cooled dow slow and conrolled but heck on a bolt action rifle you could never heat a barrel enough to ruin it from the heat.

I have seen our M60 and Mag 58 barrels ruined by the heat but thats when your putting 600 rounds a min thru em.

Actually, you can. I ruined a bolt gun barrel by overheating it. However, that rifle was in a very overbore caliber. It was a necked down and blown out 308 with the sholder moved forward and in 22 caliber. About 30 rounds as fast as I could shoot them and it was toasted. I got excited while shooting at critters.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by clinker
    Why do they say break in the barrel, i know they say fire a round and then let it cool down, surely it cant be a heat thing as when they heat treat the barrels they are glowing red hot. I know they are cooled dow slow and conrolled but heck on a bolt action rifle you could never heat a barrel enough to ruin it from the heat.

I have seen our M60 and Mag 58 barrels ruined by the heat but thats when your putting 600 rounds a min thru em.
    What happens as the barrel heats up the throat erodes faster each shot you fire. It is more common in hipervelocity rounds like 220 swift, but it can be done with any rifle. The m-60 is not exactly a precision weapon, but you are not supposed to overheat them either, hence the spare barrel and insulated glove that come with it. Saying all that I have had my M-16 gas port glow in the dark where you can see it under the front site assembly.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads