Springfield M1A Socom II

This is a discussion on Springfield M1A Socom II within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I really like the Socom II (extra rails, extra weight and all ). I was curious as to who has one?, who has shot one?, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Springfield M1A Socom II

I really like the Socom II (extra rails, extra weight and all ).

I was curious as to who has one?, who has shot one?, and your likes/dislikes about the rifle? (besides what I mentioned above).

Also, how accurate is this rifle (longest distances recommended to shoot/with accuracy)-I also understand that it's more of a CQC type rifle.

It seems that the Socom II with the extended rail would work best with a scope? (having scope closer to eye).

I am curious as to why it would be considered a CQC type rifle (with a round such as a 308)

I also like the M25 White Feather (very nice and expensive).

Thanks

Jack
    "I'm gonna need a hacksaw"

Federal Agent Jack Bauer

Re: Springfield M1A Socom II

Quote Originally Posted by Ares007

I was curious as to who has one?, who has shot one?, and your likes/dislikes about the rifle? (besides what I mentioned above).

Also, how accurate is this rifle (longest distances recommended to shoot/with accuracy)-I also understand that it's more of a CQC type rifle.

It seems that the Socom II with the extended rail would work best with a scope? (having scope closer to eye).

I am curious as to why it would be considered a CQC type rifle (with a round such as a 308)

Thanks

Jack

I have a SOCOM-II (which replaced my SOCOM), and also have an M1A National Match. Let's see if I can address your questios.
    1) It shoots great. They have a nice porting system to keep muzzle rise to a minimum; so the sight picture remains constant.
    2) It's not that much lighter than the NM; so felt recoil is about the same.
    3) Dislikes - the rails on the side would destroy your hands if you don't add covers or a front Surefire.
    4) Accuracy - I would say it's about an MOA; but most certainly not a sub-MOA weapon.
    5) Longest distance - I would have no problems counting on it against human targets out to about 400 meters; which is less than half of the longest distance I would count on my M1A NM for.
    6) Top rail - I put an EOTech 553 on it; which is 65 MOA.

It is prolly the heaviest and least well-balanced I have ever handled in the "battle rifle" category. Still, I think it's cool as hell! It has low recoil and I'd say about 1.5 MOA with match ammo, about 3 MOA with milsurp. Give or take.

A quality AR-10 would be cheaper, lighter, more accurate, and more ergonomic... but not nearly as cool. *IF* you want a comparison...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

SAPguru

SAPguru... I am infinitely jealous. I love the M14, pretty much any version of it.

Wasn't trying to hijack this, but I had to give you props.

That said the national match versions, and accurized 1moa or less long range rifles with bipods are where the M14 shines. In CQB I think I'd rather have an AR style rifle, unfortunately...

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

A friend has one, I've held it but not shot it, and it is heavier than it looks because all of the weight is at 1 end. I imagine a forward mounted scope would make that even worse. They have pretty big muzzle flash as well, his was visible in daylight. I'm sure theyre a good jack of all trades rifle though.

If its meant to be a scoped rifle from the start and not a QCB rifle then you can put similar (top) rails on the longer barrelled models;

I'm interested to see where this thread goes. I'm looking at scoped m1As also and can't decide.

A lot of people have told me those side mounted factory scope mounts are bad news?

I like'em but, I can't get my head around the price.

-snowy
    "Veritas Lux Mea"

Certified Super Civvie

Quote Originally Posted by snowy
    I like'em but, I can't get my head around the price.

-snowy
    Same here. I am more of an AR-15 guy myself, BUT, the M1A is not bad. The SOCOM was meant as a close quarters combat weapon. So, have to take that into consideration. If you can do head shots at 100 yards with that rifle, I would call it a day. But as Snowy said, for the price...no thanks.
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

Quote Originally Posted by Pax_Caucasus
    A lot of people have told me those side mounted factory scope mounts are bad news?
    Actually; that's not entirely true. The first and second generation mount only had one screw and no compression tab for aligning the mount to the rifle. The third generation springfield armory mount is excellent.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Springfield M1A Socom II

Quote Originally Posted by SAPguru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares007

Thanks

Jack

I have a SOCOM-II (which replaced my SOCOM), and also have an M1A National Match. Let's see if I can address your questios.
    1) It shoots great. They have a nice porting system to keep muzzle rise to a minimum; so the sight picture remains constant.
    2) It's not that much lighter than the NM; so felt recoil is about the same.
    3) Dislikes - the rails on the side would destroy your hands if you don't add covers or a front Surefire.
    4) Accuracy - I would say it's about an MOA; but most certainly not a sub-MOA weapon.
    5) Longest distance - I would have no problems counting on it against human targets out to about 400 meters; which is less than half of the longest distance I would count on my M1A NM for.
    6) Top rail - I put an EOTech 553 on it; which is 65 MOA.

We could have twins!!! Where did you get the stock pad? I hate thw way I have to look up a little to use my EoTech!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads