The CZ452 Ultra Lux - a Noob's best friend?

This is a discussion on The CZ452 Ultra Lux - a Noob's best friend? within the Rimfire forums, part of the Sniping Related category; When I first joined this forum I was given some excellent advice by Quick and FluffyTheCat. They both said to start off with a .22LR ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The CZ452 Ultra Lux - a Noob's best friend?

When I first joined this forum I was given some excellent advice by Quick and FluffyTheCat. They both said to start off with a .22LR rifle and to make sure it was a CZ452 Ultra Lux so that I might learn to shoot first with iron sights and get onto using optics later.

Let me say that shooting the Ultra Lux is a fantastic experience. I've learnt so much about trigger pull mechanics, posture, natural point of aim, getting behind the rifle properly, follow through, breathing etc from shooting this rifle. Because it's so light, the barrel length so long (28") and the nature of the BC of the calibre everything comes into play when shooting for accuracy on this rifle. Here's a good picture of this rifle:

It came with a 10-round detachable magazine (plastic, yuck), Turkish walnut stock (yum). Here's what they say about it on the web-site;

"The ZKM 452 (CZ 452) rifles are manufactured from steel billets not tubing or plastic, barrels are hammer forged for accuracy and long life. The trigger is adjustable for weight, and the safety is located above the rear of the bolt and provides a positive firing pin block. The Lux models have a tangent rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation."

This is a great rifle to start off with because the length of barrel affords a good distance between the front and rear sight. This translates to ease of sights alignment. The sights are adjusted using the rear sights. This is where for any noobs, the acronym FORS comes into play

Front Opposite Rear Same. This means, if your shots are going too far left, for a rear adjusting sight system you move the rear sights in the direction you want the point of impact to move towards. In this case, you move them right. The sight adjustment is a little tedious in that it requires two screws to be loosen, the sight moved, and then the screws tightened. For someone starting out the intuition of how much to move the sights won't be there and it can be a laborious process BUT if you don't have patience and a desire for detail, then this isn't the sport for you (I hear Dodgeball is making a resurgence... )

This rifle is very versatile for different postures. The ergonomics are wonderful and so offhand shooting - kneeling, standing, sitting etc using only a sling is readily available. I'm 6'1" and 210lbs and find holding this rifle, in posture with a sling (albeit a crappy sling) to not be overly onerous for long periods. The length of pull, the ease of putting the marvelous Monte Carlo stock into my shoulder pocket and for me, the placement of the trigger hand all serve to assist in proper trigger mechanics. I dry-fire with this a lot (I also use snap caps when doing this).

The trigger on the rifle out of the box is fine. Mine pulled at about 4lbs but I did notice over time that it started to feel 'different'. I replaced my trigger spring and installed a shim (YoDave kit) that now gives me a consistent trigger pull of 2.5lbs and a wonderful break.

Also on the issue of springs. I keep getting fliers. Here's a group of 10 shots fired at 50yds

This was fired with the best .22LR ammo I could get my hands on Eley Match Target Black Box. I don't know if it's the ammo or what but from reading about these fliers many people have said that CZ uses cheap piano wire springs for thier strike springs and that replacing them with better springs led to more consistent and powerful strikes and yielded increases in accuracy. I will be trying this out in the hopes that the fliers are explained by the spring and not my me...

where to get the striker spring

Once you have gained a comfortable level of familiarity with the iron sights you'll be wanting to place a scope on this rifle and get playing with MILS, MOA and all sorts. Well, you'll need to go to Rimfire Technologies

Here's where trouble in rimfire paradise starts. Because the rear sight is rather bulky and raised off the barrel you will need high rings to get clearance for you objective lens on your scope. You then take into consideration the drop of that Monte-Carlo style stock and you can kiss goodbye a cheek weld and say hello to a 'jawweld' which ends up giving me first class neck strain. Here you will realize another aspect of this hobby - the need to be resourceful in improvising. I've taped on about an inch and a quarter's worth of plastic flooring cut into little strips and stuck onto my stock in order for me to be able to have a cheekweld when shooting scoped. It looks like Frankenstein's rifle as a result but it gets the job done. There is a company called Cheekwelders who will make a Kydex removable comb-riser for you and I will be sending my stock off to these guys sometime soon.

http://www.cheekwelder.com/

This rifle is a laser. It's very accurate, it's waiting for me to catch up to it and because it's a .22LR it's very economical to shoot. I shoot this at 100yds (scoped) and I find myself being able to group at least as well as the average Joe on the range with their centerfires (wind permitting, I'm not good at all on reading wind). I average about 300 rounds a month on this rifle and wish I could do more but the learning (if you pay attention to what you're doing and what your POIs tells you you're actually doing) is enormous.

For those starting out in this sport, I can't recommend this rifle enough. It demands you learn and perform all the facets that make up effective marksmanship and is a great way to get into appreciating the engineering and craftsmanship that accurate rifles represent. There's no recoil to develop a flinch, there's no hard punishment of doing something wrong such as bad posture and so it's a gentle teacher in that regards. It is however, merciless in pointing out via your POI if you've made any errors on your part.

Well, my lunch break is gone and that about wraps it up for my write up on my CZ452 Ultra Lux.

Thanks to Mel and the Mods for opening up a Rimfire section. I hope we get a Rimfire competition going every month and look forward to reading what others write about in this section.

Cheers
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

awesome write up mate! If I didn't have a comp on tommorow I'd definatly be draging the .22 out with me aswell

Pen, Im glad that my advice was worth it for you. I have the same issue with my CZ 452 Deluxe and find taht I cannot shoot properly with a scope compared to a straight comb stock, so therefore, I Have deceided to build up either a CZ 453 Varmint OR a Anchutz Match 64 MPR into a trainer for my 308. Thats going to be fun.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

CZ rimfires come highly recommended from me. with the help of my spotter here, i got a 1.25 inch 5-shot group at 200 Meters, with 1.5 inch being the standard. Rifle is 452 .17HMR Varmint. Scope is Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 duplex reticle.

I will be getting a lux or full-stock .22LR for iron-sight fun... it's addicting enough with the .17 i can't wait to suppress the .22!

J.R. Archer
    "so, let me get this straight... you're telling me you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Archer619
    CZ rimfires come highly recommended from me. with the help of my spotter here, i got a 1.25 inch 5-shot group at 200 Meters, with 1.5 inch being the standard. Rifle is 452 .17HMR Varmint. Scope is Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 duplex reticle.

I will be getting a lux or full-stock .22LR for iron-sight fun... it's addicting enough with the .17 i can't wait to suppress the .22!

J.R. Archer
    was the pup giving you some shooting tips?
    U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.

Don't think about all those you feel, just be glad to be here.

a few, mostly "aim for the cat" but between you and me, i think my spotter is secretly pleased about the "dont ask dont tell" policy being evaluated. he kept licking my ear. Very distracting, not at all professional.

J.R. Archer
    "so, let me get this straight... you're telling me you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?!"

Looks like he is trying to keep your ear warm.

I shot my first CZ a while back, a 452 American. It had a very nice feel to it, and was surprisingly accurate with bulk pack Remington and a cheap scope.

Nice right-up, Pen!

Erik
    Just a civilian who enjoys shooting

I found the CZ rifles shoot very well with cheap ammo but i didnt like the flyers I was getting due to ammo inconsistancies, etc. So I now run SK Standard Plus. Very good ammo. I love it.
    Shaun aka "Quick"

Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    S&W M&P 9mm

Excellent rifle. But I don't like the schweinsruck stock.

I prefer the CZ-452 American model.
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Fluffy, are you saying you dont like the CZ european style stock?? Why??
    Shaun aka "Quick"

Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    S&W M&P 9mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads