Ruger 77/22 Build Help

This is a discussion on Ruger 77/22 Build Help within the Rimfire forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So being a bit of a Ruger fan and enjoying rimfires quite a bit ... I picked up a 77/22 recently and am trying to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ruger 77/22 Build Help

So being a bit of a Ruger fan and enjoying rimfires quite a bit ... I picked up a 77/22 recently and am trying to figure out which way to go with the build. Its a V-Block older model as far as the barrel goes and has the standard wood stock. As for direction on the build it would be of the tactical trainer type:

Stock - Mcmillan Rimfire Varmint (only decent synthetic I found for a 77/22)

Barrel - .920 taper threaded for can w/ thread cap

Mount / Rings - Weigand / 30mm Lows prolly Warne

Optics - SS 10x42 HD

Prolly toss in a 6-9 Harris w/ Podlock

Now this is where Im looking for assitance from you Rimfire guru's ...

What barrels do you recommend? Any other stock companies that you know off inlet for 77/22? I dropped an email to Manners to see if they do as I really like there MCS-T3 stock. I would prefer the Mcmillan A1-3 if they would inlet for it, again sent an email waiting on response. Other tips and tricks for tuning up a 77/22? Other thoughts and recommendations?

Let the fun begin :lol:

I'm saying this just to get it out of the way.

Step 1: Send it to Mike R. and have him build you a Green Hornet

Step 2: Enjoy the fruits of Step 1.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
    Now a proud owner of a Larry McElroy built Savage. Stockade Stock. WoTac 4-14. 20" McGowen Bbl. Harris Bipod. Duracoated and cammied out!!!

Sapper - I've been considering a similar build and am considering a Benchmark barrel. They have a great reputation for making some of the best rimfire barrels.

And please let me know what you find out from McMillan and Manners regarding 77/22 stock options.
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Heard back from Manners today and they do NOT inlet for the 77/22 action. They said that they have gotten a lot of requests this year for it so the might "look into it" in 2011. I won't be holding my breath. I know Mcmillan does for there Rimfire Varmint stock but I prefer the A1-3 stock ... still waiting to hear back if they inlet for anything other than the Rimfire Varmint. Ill post my findings.

To nismophreek ... I would love to have a Green Hornet ... but spending that much on a 22 and waiting over a year for it ... OUCH

Administrator
    Just an FYI: McMillan stated to me that they would not inlet an A1/HTG for the Anschutz 54 action, stating depth issues with the trigger units. I can't imagine the Ruger 77 will be much different.

That said, word on the street from several makers is that a lot of the things that "can't be done" according to McBros, can be accomplished if you really want to badly enough.

My take: Just go ahead and order your McMillan, but order it as a "flat top," and have it inletted elsewhere by whomever is building/bedding the rifle.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

I found this over on rimfirecentral...

"Its a Bell and Carlson remmy 700 short action stock. A couple hours with the dremal, and couple days of marine tex to refit and bed the action. I had to rework the whole tang in the stock and take away allot of the mid section for the mag. I took about 1/4" off the top of the stock as well to seat the action, then cut out a new notch for the ejection area.

To get the stock to look like that I had to sand the side rails of the B&C tactical stock down flat I then used marine tex to make the texture on the front and the grip area.

Still some space in and around the mag well that I need to build up with some fiberglass and marine tex but its not that noticable to me anyways so its a back burner thing I will get to some point and time.

The stock mods where not too hard but the reworking the tang and mag area with marine tex was interesting cause it had to be done a little at a time."

Seems like a lot of work and I"m not sure I would want to do it myself but if he can do it I imagine a competent smith could do that with pretty much any stock.
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Dude, that sounds like a great project.
    I love my 77/22 and don't know if I could do that to her. I did thread the barrel in 1/2-28 for a can. To be honest, you couldn't ask for much more out of a .22lr barrel. The Ruger stock barrel is really nice.

Does anyone know what TacOps charges to build a Green Hornet, provided you purchase a brand new 77/22 ?

[image; left: Ruger 77/22 .22LR right Air Arms TX200 .22 Air Rifle]

Dan Lilja is noted for producing superb match grade .22lr barrels ..... but a Green Hornet would be the "shizzle" ...... 8)

Jim Clark makes great rifles...he also sell his barrels separately

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/7722con.htm

Re: Ruger 77/22 Build Help

Well after much searching, reading, phone calls, and the like....

I have a McMillan Rimfire Varmint stock on the way (Dark Camo) and a Lilja .920 barrel.

Already picked up the Weigand scope rail and currently have a SS 3-9 FFP on it. Gotta get this done as My wife claimed my Savage Mark II and asked for a Matching Stock to her Stevens 200 in 223 that I got her.

Hoping to have this thing up and running when the snow melts to get some range time in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads