Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Bolt 22s

10K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Ravenblack 
#1 ·
Is the list endless or who makes a real nice bolt 22

#2 ·

This is my Savage MkII TRR .22
I like it a lot because it has a "big gun" feel. It also comes with a threaded barrel.
It shot the Federal GMM .22 ok with groups of about .75" at 50 yards.
i havent had the opportunity to shoot it at 100 yds yet or try different match ammo.
Hopefully soon...

#3 ·
I'm not sure I understand your post...but if you're looking for a nice bolt-action .22LR, there are few nicer than Anschutz, and they've got a .22 for everyone and nearly every purpose under the sun.

Are you lookin for a new stick, and if so, for what purpose?

-Nate

#5 ·
I'm moving this to the Rimfire portion of the site.

That's not really true. In the world of rimfire competition, there is almost NO use of supersonic rounds. Supersonic rimfire is a novelty for sub 100-yard shooting under what can only be moderate accuracy requirements. I've never had much use for a rifle that can't hit where I point, and supersonic .22 past the 100 yard mark does just that...I have no use for it at all.

The short of my experience is that, under about 200 yards, sub-MOA is certainly acheivable, and even probable in excellent rifles with a well-tested ammunition for the chamber. From 200 and out, even the best rifles seem to start opening up some. I have shot lots of groups under MOA at 300 yards for width, but I can't recall any that would have come close to that 3" line on vertical. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. Maybe I need to play with a tuner some more. Maybe I need Eley Red Box intead of Black.

I know nothing of foxes at all.

-Nate

#9 ·
Well, the .22 shoots lights out, but the .17 HMR is kinda hinky. At 100 yards, I can't get the .17 under an inch. And I have tried just about all there is to try.
I have recrowned the barrel, trigger job, glassed the action and nothing seems to help the .17. The .22 LR on the other hand is spooky accurate and I haven't touched it.

#10 ·
I have a Remington Matchmaster that my Father bought right after WWII. It has Springfield Micrometer Peep sights and at 100 yards it is a tack driver. My Father taught me how to breathe and control my heartbeat shooting this rifle. I don't know much about any long range shooting, I'm just starting to go over 600 yards with a Remington .300 Sendero. But at 100 yards, this rifle is as accurate as anything I have seen.

#11 ·
fuuny you should say that....I have a marlin heavy barrel 17 hmr,...I frequently shoot out to 300 with it at steel plates. It's amazing for a completely stock rifle. Not sure the model number,...I'd have to check,...but man its sweet.

#13 ·
Personaly i would go with marlin. the last .22 rimfire i had was a marlin 838ss in a .22mag. i loved it. i was on paper out to 150yrs no problem. sure .22mag ammo is a lil more expensive that .22lr. when i had mine it was right around $10.99 a box of 50 but never over $13.00 a box for cci v-max hallow points.

#15 ·
My Browning A-Bolt Gold Medallion Grade .22. I bought it new back in 1988. Cuts ragged one hole groups for as long as I want to sit there and pull the trigger. It also looks like a million bucks doing it. Unbelievable fit, finish, and wood for a .22.

#16 ·
While we're at it, this is my CZ-452 American with a Tasco 10-40x40 (overkill much??) Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

#17 ·
trapper, your posts are somewhat cryptic, so not sure of your "bent". 22's are generally pretty good and it's hard to get a bad one. Even the Stirlings and the Norincos have given good results, but yes they are lower quality. I've talked to blokes with expensive rifles who have had problems as well. It seems that manufacturers, even the Anschutz's and so on, are trying to make money and continue to cut corner ever so slightly. Take a look at some of the older rifles. Sportco 63A is as fine a rifle as you will find any where. The old winchester 52, I don't think they can beat it today.
The rule seems to be, spend as much as you can afford and get as good a rifle as you can find. Don't forget to have a look at some of the old timers, because trust me there are bargains to be had and they are every bit as good as what's coming out now.
Learn as much as you can about the rifles and learn to know what to look for when buying. Even some new ones can have flaws.
I'm no expert, just what I've learned in my travels.
I've also discovered that a rifle can "speak" to you. For whatever reason, you may really like a certain rifle, and it may not be the prettiest or whatever, but you are drawn to it, it might even have a flaw, but there is something about it that attracts you. Follow through. It is meant for you.
Don't mean to get all "esoteric", but 22's are pretty special little rifles. I enjoy them immensely and would have 500 if I could.
For the record my cabinet contains,
Savage Mk 2 Classic
Zastava MPR
Winchester 69A
Winchester 320
Winchester 600
Sportco 63A
Sportco Martini Clubmaster

#19 ·
Straight pull action that is a swap for a Ruger style semi action. Nice concept.
Entry level biathlon gun or maybe it could give the european guns some competition.
Could get around the semi auto bans in some areas too and you get all the Ruger style aftermarket parts.

That A bolt up above is beautiful.

Here is my next .22 that is on lay away with one more payment to make.
Cz 452 Varmint, unfired 2001 parts assembled in 2002 according to the test target. Owner put it into the McMillan BR50 and put it in the closet.
Burris HBR 6X scope with AO on it.
Gun Rifle Air gun Shooting sport Match rifle shooting

#20 ·
I don't think it will be a threat to the anschutz fortners, but they are quite accurate. My best groups have been in the high .150's at 50yds. I would say they average .400-.700 or so with less expensive ammo. It all really depends upon ammo, as with any rimfire.

Their strength comes from the wide array of barrels, stocks, magazines, triggers, and other accessories available for them. Virtually any 10/22 aftermarket part will work with them. I predominantly shoot suppressed, so obviously we're a big fan around here.

#21 ·
I have marlins, Stevens, Remington, savage and other small named ones, the savage hands down is the most accurate.

For me the savage mk2 is the best 22lr on the market. Less than $300 I got the adjustable trigger, heavy barrel and a scope. While the scope isn't bad it's not a high end one. Last time I took it to the range I was drawing smiley faces at 50 yards, great little rifle can't say that enough.

#22 ·
Got to go German. Just look at the Olympic rifles in use to see what the top shooters use.

I currently have two Anschutz target rifles (1907 and a 1913/2213).

It's been a while since I last posted a picture here of 'Nevermore' my lead laser.

A few years and a nice collection of match win medals. I've not been lazy.

A few tweaks and additions including hi-end 4.5mm foresight and Anschutz 'Hammer Shark' foresight extender. New case (Italian made 'Explorer' makes Peli look like a big girls knickers - Got to protect the rig!).

'Nevermore'
View attachment 3346

View attachment 3348

Additionally my 'spare' rig has become my scope competition rig. 'Pallas' may be in her 40's, but she has an age hardened Anschutz target barrel and just gets better with age. Fitted with my Weaver target scope she has already won me firsts in some national A/S comps. I'm not really one for scope shooting, preferring the accuracy of the target apertures, but a good scope with teach you a hell of a lot about your breathing technique, so well worth it.

'Pallas'
View attachment 3347

View attachment 3349

I sold off my full bore rifles (Nagant, Enfields - Envoy and SMLE & Marlin) and am focused back on the .22 LR. I only get to shoot 2 to 3 times a week and I use that time for competitions - so no time for the heavy hitters, just full on precision .22. I sold one of my .22 Annies to a friend who I am coaching - and he's already winning matches. Trouble is I teach too well and Grasshopper is looking like he'll be a challenge to me in no time. Good job done well.

A move to a new country is on the cards, and I'll finally get a bit of hunting in. Got to really as we'll be living off of the land inside the Arctic Circle if all goes to plan.

To get a bit of 'Dynamic' shooting under my belt & still use my current range, I have an Anschutz MSR RX22 on order. Some might recall the shitty 'toy' ISSC MK22 FNSCAR look alike from a few years back. Well Anschutz took it, stripped the crap out of it, changed the materials, fitted a match trigger and heavy match barrel and produced a phoenix from some fowl smelling ashes.

It's no 'tacticool' plinker - The RX22 is already winning major competitions and I can't wait to get mine in my hand and get some gold on my shelf.

'Surcease' (on order + Moderator).

View attachment 3350

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.