My Savage MKii build

My Savage MKii build

This is a discussion on My Savage MKii build within the Rimfire forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've had this Savage for the last 16 years. All 3 of my kids learned to shoot on it and its been a pretty flawless ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By natdscott
  • 1 Post By ddd oo7

Thread: My Savage MKii build

My Savage MKii build

I've had this Savage for the last 16 years. All 3 of my kids learned to shoot on it and its been a pretty flawless gun. (Rimfire is one thing Savage does do very well in my opinion) My youngest got his own MKii this year for Christmas, which meant I can have mine back finally. My goal is to have a decent trainer rifle for myself, so I can burn up less centerfire rounds.

My first goal was a decent scope. I played musical scopes since my son go a new scope for his AR and I decided to use my Corssfire II. It should be prefect for a .22 build 6-18 with AO that focuses down to 10 yards. The BDC does have wind holds, and I can zero out the turret. Since I had the pre F receiver, I had 3/8" dovetails for a scope mount. I thought I would have to drill and tap the receiver. While I felt pretty good about doing that, I also didn't want to fubar something either. I found Weaver makes a dovetail to Weaver rail conversion mount. These coversions along with low Weaver rings gave me the clearance I needed for the 44mm objective.

Scope installed

My son's and I's

Next is the stock. For now I've added washers under the pillars to get the barrel up out of the stock. I'm also going to do something about the cheek rest height. Long term however I'm likely going to do a Boyds Pro Varmint, and add an adjustable cheek riser to it. Again having the older receiver, I have to do some work to make it work 100% in the Boyds stock. I was able to test my receiver in my son's Boyds, and it did fit. My last goal is a new barrel. I've done some research and found that a 10/22 can be made to fit, or a 77/22 barrel fits without as much work.

Since I haven't shot this thing myself for a group in the last 3 years, I'm going to lay down a base line for it on my next time out.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Administrator
    I have a Fred Moreo (Sharp Shooter Supply) MTR stock sitting around doing nothing. Camo laminate, unbedded. Has it's own steel guard, and heavy steel bottom metal.

Cracked wrist...long story, having nothing to do with shooting.

If you think about it, and you'd like it for your project, let me know. It'll be a lot less than $250...I'm just not getting around to pinning it, and I have no rifle in operating condition for it (sooner or later, the Savages wear some things out).

Nice looking rifles! Better looking pool (and weather).

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    I have a Fred Moreo (Sharp Shooter Supply) MTR stock sitting around doing nothing. Camo laminate, unbedded. Has it's own steel guard, and heavy steel bottom metal.

Cracked wrist...long story, having nothing to do with shooting.

If you think about it, and you'd like it for your project, let me know. It'll be a lot less than $250...I'm just not getting around to pinning it, and I have no rifle in operating condition for it (sooner or later, the Savages wear some things out).

Nice looking rifles! Better looking pool (and weather).

-Nate
    That maybe prefect for my project. Shoot me some pics and we'll go from there.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Ok got a base line laid down. The biggest issue right now is the stock not fitting me at all. With the taller scope I'm doing a chin weld, not a cheek weld. It makes lining up behind the scope the same every time very difficult. However, I can see the value in rimfire training already. Much easier to see your mistakes without recoil.

This was Blazer .22lr. Doesn't do too bad. I had some Mini Mags but those damn things are slow. You can watch them arch in at 50 yards lol. Federal Auto Match does pretty well to.

-Chris

Administrator
    Ah crap. I owe you a photo or three...

Sorry.

I'll get it done.

-Nate
    NorCalFocus likes this.
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

I have this MKII for sale it has a PDC Custom chassis. I will sell just the stock, whole gun or gun & scope Mark 4 3-10. Open to offers. I have to many 22lr.

yYwF0aT.jpg
    Last edited by TPK936; 01-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.

You are probably going to have to get some subsonic match grade ammo if you really want to see what the rifle is capable of. Even mini mags are too fast to really shoot well...especially past 50 yards. The problem is that supersonic ammo usually gets unstable when it passes the sonic barrier...so with .22lr you are better off starting subsonic than you are dealing with crossing the sonic barrier. My bro's Mark 2 is capable of about 1" at 50 with match ammo in the factory tupperware. I would think you would get a little better than that considering the better stock if you try some match ammo.

Also...it takes several rounds to season a barrel to a certain ammo...therefore it is a good idea to clean in between different types of ammo and then shoot at least 20-30 rounds before you really start shooting for groups. When I first got my CZ I shot 5 rounds of each type of ammo to see what it could do...and I was very disappointed. Come to find out if I had shot half a box of each almost every type of match ammo would shoot pretty good...all except for cci green tag.
    NorCalFocus likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Yeah I'll pick up a box of Norma Match. It won't be the best, but it will be subsonic match at least.

At this point I have to get the stock fitting me better before anything else. Otherwise I can't tell what I'm doing.

-Chris

The boyd pro varmint stock is pretty good.
    Have one on my #4 brno

Cliffy

Ads