Serious Social Shotgun: Model 1897

This is a discussion on Serious Social Shotgun: Model 1897 within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; The Winchester 1897 is a product of John Browning's genius. While over a hundred years old, the gun is still the finest social shotgun around. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serious Social Shotgun: Model 1897

The Winchester 1897 is a product of John Browning's genius. While over a hundred years old, the gun is still the finest social shotgun around.

Our Chinese comrades manufacture a clone of this piece and it is 100 percent MiM-free. And if I get one, I can offend almost everyone at once.

The Model 1897 shotgun has a charming appearance and if you hold the trigger back and keep cranking the action, you can unload lots of shots in a hurry.

And just for fun you can attach a bayonet.

I'm a genius. And you are not.

Re: Serious Social Shotgun: Model 1897

Another time honored American design... Hi-Jacked !

Comrades? Go for it Fluffy... RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

I believe I will become as adamant, steadfast and uncompromising as you are Fluffy.

Ergo... NO MIC, NO MIC, NO MIC!!!!!!

(made in china)

HoJo

Not to worry our Italian friends make more than just pizza. They also make spaghetti as well as their own version of the 1897 Winchester.

I give you Chaparral Arms. So now you can get an Italian version of the 1897.

I think it's pathetic that we can't find an American maker who will make a quality rendition of Browning's classic shotgun.

http://www.chaparralarms.com/prodotti/1 ... action.htm

i have one of the chinese ones. one of those most ergonomic shotguns an right handed shooter could ever want.

it's great for 3 gun. guys look at you like you just came out of a flying saucer.
    Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast- Wyatt Earp

Tell us about your shotgun. Does it have a smooth action? Does it strike you as a quality weapon?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Fluffy

the action is very smooth. it's like working the action on a custom rifle. it doesn't have that gritty feeling that you get from factory 870's or 500's.

everything about the gun feels robust. when you cycle the weapon, you feel the mass of everything. it's almost feels like a UMP-45 in ultra-slow motion. it's like opening and closing the door on an old packard.

it locks up like a vault. there is absolutely no play when the weapon is ready to fire.

i expected a lot less for the $350 i paid for it but was very pleasently surprised.

now i'm very disappointed with my 870 for the $400 i paid for it.
    Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast- Wyatt Earp

What a great bedside "bad choice of houses to break into" gun.

And you could mount a pen light in place of the bayonet. :lol:
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Do you gentlemen have any tips on how to expediently reassemble the 1897 after it has been broken down into 2 parts?
    We were at a night shoot, when a friend demonstrated how it breaks down, when he had one heck of a time getting the bolt to cycle again afterward.

Now that you have passes the crack pipe all around you may have all missed a thing or two about shotguns

1. The nicests smoothest pump shotgun out of the box was the Win Model 12.

2. The Remington 870 is the most succesful pump shotgun ever and the standard which al modern combat shotguns are held. Like lots of weapons they are a start and you have to clean them up and do a few mods to be perfect but that is to be expected in a 400.00 weapon. Throw a mag tube, Ghost Ring Sights, smooth action and you have a wonderful CQB weapon.

The Model 97 has serious issues for modern combat in that if you hold down the trigger it slam fires when you pump in a new round. This wil go against modern training techniques where a shotgun is taught to be more than a spray weapon. It died a natuaral death because of this and other things not so good. It is however very fast to unload and functions well. If you wnat a period piece from the old west it is a nice way to go, but you wont find any working the streets, making entry or used in not so social duties today.

As to China made shotguns I have seen the knock offs and Fluff the quality is not even close to there 1911 clones.

Administrator

hehehehehe....

8-7-0

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1997
    NRA Silhouette AA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads