Proper Shooting Form

This is a discussion on Proper Shooting Form within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What are some good resources on how to learn to shoot a pistol/sidearm correctly or accurately? Anyone have some good hints? What I'm looking at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proper Shooting Form

What are some good resources on how to learn to shoot a pistol/sidearm correctly or accurately? Anyone have some good hints? What I'm looking at more so is that I'm fairly accurate but how do you grip the gun and control it so you can get back on the target quickly and easily for a fast followup shot?

Re: Proper Shooting Form

Quote Originally Posted by gimpmsu
    What are some good resources on how to learn to shoot a pistol/sidearm correctly or accurately? Anyone have some good hints? What I'm looking at more so is that I'm fairly accurate but how do you grip the gun and control it so you can get back on the target quickly and easily for a fast followup shot?
    Teaching someone how to shoot a pistol is one of the hardests thing to do as far as teaching marksmenship. Best thing I can tell you is keep good even isometric tension pulling back ever so slightly with your non firing hand, gain isometric tension with your firing hand by tring to push the opposite way of your non firing hand, pressing your palms inward a little, and pulling the trigger straight back. If I tell you any more than that you will forget it all
    It sounds like you are kinda new to shooting pistols. Do not shoot a larger caliber than 9mm starting out so you can learn about the basics. Start at about 5 meters and work out from there.

Well that definitely makes sense and I will remember that the next time I am at the range. Thank you.

No problem at all. Don't forget to breathe, and if you can get use to firing the gun with both eyes open, that's a plus.

My biggest challenge is that my first target is usually my best. I'm sure that happens for alot of people but i would like to learn how to be more consistent for a longer time, but I"m guessing that just takes practice and more practice.

Also taking a break when you get tired because shooting when you are tired or frustrated really doesn't serve any purpose other than getting you more frustrated and tired.

How does one handle a compact pistol in some of the larger calibers? My dad has a Sig 239 that is just SO tough to control when shooting. Its in .357sig but it still jumps a whole lot more than my fullsize Kimber .45.

I shoot my 9mm and .45 both eyes open. It allows you to acquire the target through your sight and then your other eye to zero in on the target making your aquisition pretty fast. I will agree with headseeker. Shooting a pistol is tough. I don't shoot mine 25 or 50, I do the 15 yards max because if there are any engagements that will be made with a hand-gun, that will be the max range.

Respectfully,
    Tyler Consugar
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

I've got several books on the pistol and all of them have something to offer. One of the best in my opinion is The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th Edition, by Massad Ayoob. Ayoob goes into most of the controversial pistol issues being debated these days, and does so in a logical well articulated manner. Revolver v. auto; weaver v. iso; target focus v. sight focus; and these are only a few of the things Ayoob goes into.

I've got classic books by Bill Jordan and W.E. Fairbairn, as well as more recent books by Andy Stanford and Gabe Suarez, and I think Ayoob does as good a job as any in The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th Edition.

hello

I know when I started out shooting hand gun, my friend father who was teaching us realy stressed shooting form, grip and trigger control. the first week we shot all we did was shoot at a blank piece of paper untill are groups were one ragged hole at 10yds. This was to teach us sight alignment and body position, grip and trigger control.Here is an exercise to try put up large piece of paper doesn't matter what color it is. have sight adjusted so it shoots low. center and square yourself of to target, his is tobe shot point shoulder bring gun up to naturel point of aim making sure light is equal side to side and front to rear sight are level squeaze off round. gun will recoil and return to battery and repeat the same steps do not try to aim all your doing is making the sight alignment correct, your naturel point of aim is sighting the gun. I found this works pretty well for someone starting out and helps biuld a good foundation to expand on
    Cliffy out

close your eyes, point the gun in front of you at where you intend to shoot. open your eyes. that's the way you should shoot. my pistol is usually tilted in a little too. if your pistol doesn't line up, you need to modify the grip, or get one that fits.

you should have both eyes open. this is the most practical way to shoot. in a real predicament, you're not going to be too concerned with which stance or technique you have. i've been introduced (and required to train) in some ridiculous forms, and shooting a pistol should be nothing but a natural point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads