Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Remington Rand 1911

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  FluffyTheCat 
#1 ·
Re: 1943 Remington Rand 1911

My favorite gunsmith picked this pistol up for me. The gun literally fell into his lap. The gun belonged to a widow who wanted to get rid of it. She was almost ready to surrender it to the police. But she transferred it to my friend who is a licensed gunsmith.

Unfortunately, pistols are registered in Canada; however, this allows to us to know for a certainty that the gun was owned by the same man for over 50 years. The gun looks to be original.

I hypnotized the gunsmith and he gave me the pistol. Thank goodness for my mind control powers. The pistol arrives here next week

Here it is.

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice!! That is a sweet find. Glad she didn't turn it in to the police. It would be forever gone I'd bet.

Dad has an old one (colt I believe) he bought off a guy that was rebuilding dad's house after a fire. This guy said he took it off a dead Vietnamese officer. Which meant it came off a dead US soldier at some point. If the story is true. The guy was a heck of a nice guy and never did anything for us to think otherwise. Very cool old gun. Would love to have one myself.

Jason

#12 ·
I've very familiar with Turnbul'sl work. I'm just a purist at heart. I get upset seeing $150 Mosins sporterized :) To me and most military collectors it goes from being a collectible military firearm to a refinished or custom gun even it you put $10,000 worth of work into it. From the picture that Remington Rand looks in pretty decent condition. I'd just hate to see it "improved". We all have our preferences and different tastes, but personally if I were putting money into custom work, I'd rather take a new production 1911A1 (which may have better steel, certainly less wear, etc.) of some sort and leave the old war horse in it's collectible condition.

#15 ·
JT, I have to empathize with you on this one. I too am a purist and the photos of Fluffy's pistol justify a "leave it as it is" disposition. However, if you have gotten to know Fluffy over the years, you know well then that she loves to bring out the beauty in antique firearms. I think its safe to say she loves to mod old guns. Between her Garrands.M-14. Norinco pistols and dare I say it, even grips for her SIG P-210 and S&W 28; I still think its a safe bet Fluffly will restore this 1911 with original blue, probably some minor action work, and good gosh Fluffy's dear love for fire blue screws.

HoJo

#13 ·
It will only be in "collectible condition" if it doesn't rust/corrode. We don't know what the guts look like. IMO, have it restored to original, put it in a nicely finished display case. Maybe shoot it from time to time to show it off and blow the dust out of it

#14 ·
If he's the type to let it rust/corrode, I assume it would do the same thing if refinished or not. From the photos, I'd be shocked if the internals were rusted up. There's no such thing as restoring to original. They're only original once. We're all free to do what we want to our own property, but to me it looks too nice to mess with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.