Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Smith & Wesson Problems

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  nayr83333 
#1 · (Edited)
Probably the wrong place for this post. If so, I apologize. I would like to hear from others who are disappointed in this American institution. I'll make the story short as possible.

My grown daughter has a CHL. I knew her EDC was a Sig 238 - 380. What I didn't know was that before she bought the Sig, she had purchased a S&W Bodyguard 380. She asked me what the best way to dispose of a gun was. She told me the Smith was junk because when you shot it the slide would fly off when the takedown pin came out on its own. I told her to give it to me because I had owned Smith products for decades and thought they were a quality company. For those who own one, this gun was a EAAxxxx serial number.

I contacted Smith and was gratified when they sent a prepaid FedEx tag immediately. Satisfied, I sent the gun off with a letter detailing the problems, including that the laser would not operate because the button wouldn't function.

About 2 weeks later, I called Customer Service to check on the repairs. I was told the wait que was 21 days to look at the gun. Okay.

Several days later a rep called with news. "We can't repair that gun. We are going to destroy it and send a new one out." Okay, so far, so good. He needed a local FFL phone number to ship. I called back and left the information.

Realizing I had not asked about a time frame, I called back the next day and was told "The gun has been destroyed, but it will take 4 weeks to approve sending out a new one." What? Why 4 weeks? There was no explanation. I was just told that was the procedure.

I told him I was disappointed and it would mean that the next time, if there ever was a next time, we considered buying a Smith product, we would be sure and shop for 4 weeks for other brands with better features and prices before we took another chance like this one.

What do you guys think? Is this the way all manufacturers operate now? How would you react?

Sorry...I think I violated the 250 word "rule."

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yeah the wait sucks but as long as I got a replacement for a defective product I guess I would be ok with it. I have to imagine SW is building a shipping a bunch all the time. I doubt they keep any just lying around to send out in case someone has a problem.

A friend of mine had a Ruger 10/22. The receiver scope screws stripped out of it. He stripped it down and sent the receiver to them. They took a few weeks to look at it and then got back to him that they could not fix it. So they said they would build him a new rifle and send it to him. They didn't ask for parts or anything but he did have to wait a few more weeks for them to build it and ship it. They sent him back a rifle that to me looked nicer and had the upgrades Ruger had done since the one he bought. Same setup as his old one it just new I guess.

So I guess I would be glad they are just replacing it even if the wait sucks. For the record my BG 380 works good. But I'll check the SN and see what it is.

Edit ... Just checked mine is KBJXXXX

#4 ·
That is sort of the way I feel with one exception. The local gun shop has 7 in stock. I think were it my company, I would just issue a voucher for a local dealer to be reimbursed. I guess it would cost a bit more but would be better received by my customers.

#5 ·
A couple of years ago, I returned a new 22 pistol to S/W that was constantly jamming even with the best of amunition and even with their recommended loads. I sent a detailed letter of the problems. About 6 weeks later from start to finish I received the pistol. Accompanying S/W letter stated pistol was inspected, test fired and they could see no problem. I took it to the range and it jammed on the second shot and continued to have various malfunctions. I sold it.

#6 ·
Smith & Wesson Problems

I have older smith revolvers and newer ones. They all work, but the 70's-early 80's revolvers were much more refined than the newer ones. They took much more pride in their work back then. You will pay as much for an older one as you will a new one, but you will have a better gun.

#7 ·
Yes. Sad but true. At one time I had a Model 19 Combat Magnum and a Model 27 Highway Patrolman. Those were real Smith & Wessons. Unfortunately I sold both quite a few years ago. Now I again have a 19 and a 27, but they were made in Austria.

#8 ·
I grew up shooting dads highway patrolman (27-2). My brother ended up with the gun...but a few years ago I ran across a used one and bought it. They are great guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.