MOA - Click Question

This is a discussion on MOA - Click Question within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am slowly starting to understand the whole MOA thing, but I am still rusty. Why don't ballistic charts give info in "clicks", instead of ...

MOA - Click Question

I am slowly starting to understand the whole MOA thing, but I am still rusty. Why don't ballistic charts give info in "clicks", instead of MOA, since all actual adjustments are made in clicks?

And on the charts, when it says, to go up from say 300-400 yards, 2 MOA and 1 click (that's an example), how many clicks are the MOA? Why not just say go up x-number of clicks?!

Help me understand all this!

At 100 yards it all seems simple. 1/4 MOA scope = 4 clicks to move an inch

So, at 200 yards if I have to move an inch, and two inches now = 1 MOA, I move half an MOA. So is that 2 clicks?!

I need a simple formula and a click chart, not an MOA chart!
    USAF EST 87-91
    Law Enforcement/SRT 87-2008
    Emergency Communications 08-Present

COMMANDER OF MY UNIVERSE

Your scope 'clicks' in 1/4moa, mine in 1/2moa and his in 1/8moa.

Clicks are different things on differing scopes.

Counting clicks rather than reading the numbers the scope maker went to a bit of trouble to put on the dials is a first class way to mess up under even a little bit of stress.

That said, in the dark you count clicks but dont dial too much. I also count when making small adjustments during a string of fire but again a small adjustment.

Save counting for the small adjustments, read the dail for the bigger jumps.

Good Luck

MOA is simple. Its a minute of angle. Its the same minute of angle no matter how distance you are at. So if your chart reads 5 MOA at 300 yards, no matter what adjustment one "click" is equal to on your scope you know you have to dial enough to equal 5 MOA.

If your scope is 1/4 MOA per "click" then its 4 clicks per MOA times 5 for a total of 20, 1/4 MOA "clicks" or adjustments to equal 5 MOA. If your scope has 1/2 MOA adjustments then its 2 "clicks" per MOA time 5 for a total of 10, 1/2 MOA "clicks" or adjustments to equal 5 MOA. If you needed to adjust another 8 MOA to go out to 500 yards, its the same process. One minute of angle is still the same 4 "clicks" per MOA for a 1/4 MOA adjustment scope or 2 "clicks" per MOA, for a 1/2 MOA adjustment scope.

If you dope is in MOA you don't have to convert anything. It becomes more complicated when you try to equate a linear measurment with it, because the further you go out the wider the distance from one side of the angle to the other becomes. Its still not very complicated, but if you think in terms of the adjustments that your scope has it will be much easier for you.

EDITED to include Diagram:
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Re: MOA - Click Question

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedBlade
    So, at 200 yards if I have to move an inch, and two inches now = 1 MOA, I move half an MOA. So is that 2 clicks?!
    It is if you have a scope or sight with 1/4 MOA click value. It is one click if you a scope or sight with 1/2 MOA click values. Which is why no one makes "click" charts.

There is nothing simpler than minutes of angle. If you have 1/4 MOA clicks on your scope, 1 MOA adjustment is four clicks , 2 MOA adjustment is eight, and 1/2 MOA adjustment is 2 regardless of the distance.

Re: MOA - Click Question

I
    At 100 yards it all seems simple. 1/4 MOA scope = 4 clicks to move an inch

WOW, I am confused after reading the thread and I knew how MOA and clicks worked before reading. :P

At 200 yards 1 inch=1/2 MOA or 2 clicks. At 400 yards 1 inch=1/ MOA or 1 click. There is a formula someplace I am sure but I don't know it. I just figure it in my head. BTW most scopes are 1/4 MOA per click, but some target scopes are 1/8 moa per click and some scopes have 1/2 or even 1 MOA per click. Something to be aware of. I just know how many inches I need to move at a specific range then figure the clicks from there.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Shane4639:
    good information MOA is pretty straight forward but it took me allot of reading to understand starting off. I think the op might be getting confussed and over analizing like I did. I will say that starting out and trying to undertand MOA and equating to mil-dot threw me for a loop but I finally got it.

tatooedblade:
    Read as much as you can and use this forum there are allot of smart people that will help you get through it. I looked at several ballistic charts, this one helped me out the most and has worked for me quite well so far even out to 500 yrds placing 36 rds out of 40 on a 10x17 target first time out that far best group was 4" with 5 shots. I will say that you must know and understand what your ammo will deliver as well as a good zero however. This chart will give you drop,windage,and come-up clicks and even more if desired. I used this chart and and then figured how they were coming up with their calculations and then tested them and everything worked.
    www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx
    HTH
    Sully

Ads