Laser range finder for sniping?

This is a discussion on Laser range finder for sniping? within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Laser range finders claim a high degree of accuracy. But I get the idea they're not even considered for sniping. Why? Are they detectable from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laser range finder for sniping?

Laser range finders claim a high degree of accuracy. But I get the idea they're not even considered for sniping.

Why?

Are they detectable from down-range? As in a visible red dot or something that could be seen by the target?

Or detectable with some equipment?

Thanks!

I'm not sure of the "sniping" you are talking about. However, in long range shooting, an accurate LRF has its place. There are only a few models that can consistently range a man-sized target to 1000yds, so it isn't something most shooters are wanting to spend $800 to $1000 purchasing.

The beam is not detectable by the target, but rather moving the exposed lenses around can get you busted by reflection in certain setups.

Most shooters also spend most of their time shooting at known-distance targets. Negates the money spent again.

I spend most of my time shooting at animals and steel of unknown distance. Therefor a LRF is quite handy, but I certainly don't rely 100% on it. I can make a good guess on most stuff out to 400-500yds. After that, I'm damn good at milling things. However, if I have time and the situation allows, I will use the LRF. Prior to getting my newest set of bushnell fusion arc 1600's I used a bushnell monocular that rarely hit anything past 500-600yds, and bright sunny days would reduce it even further. My fusion's seem to be ridiculously better.

So, as technology advances, the usefulness of the gear gets better and better. Don't get complacent and rely on it as your only means of ranging a target though.

As for the type of sniping, I'm talking about military usage.

So ... beyond 5-600 yards, they don't work that great? That would stink, as within that range you really get a higher margin of error on ranging anyway.

You also make it sound as though they're slower than figuring with a mil-dot or other range-finding reticle. Did I understand that correctly?

I never said milling is faster, I simply said to not rely 100% on technology.

As it pertains to military usage, they are trained with both, as LRF will not work in certain situations.

I also did not say that all LRF do not work over 5-600yds. I said that the lower model bushnell I had did not. My fusion arc 1600's will range IPSC steel to 1200yds. Perhaps farther, but thats the farthest I've run them so far. They didn't have a problem ranging my neighbors house at 1790.

Please slow down and read my posts more carefully. If you want to learn, I have no problem spending time answering questions, but only if you are willing to apply yourself a little bit.

They are tools. LRF certainly have a place in ones kit. Understanding some of the basics lets things become very clear. For most military applications the spotter makes a range card and then uses this for reference. However a LRF does offer some disadvantages. They laser is detectable provided someone else has the technology. Certain LRF use lasers with wavelengths that are detectable using night vision equipment, however most military units are not built this way.

When it comes to accuracy of the unit it depends on several things. Mainly beam divergence. To get the best accuracy you are going to pay for it. 1500 yard capable units are easy and cheap enough. However further then that and you are talking about some serious coin that most shooter aren't willing to pay for.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

I'm going to refer to you to this post - as it covered the majority of the bases.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... nge+finder

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

I have one of those Leopold 1200 yard (forgot the model, its out in the shop) It dosnt work very well at that distance but its pretty accurate to 600-700 yards.

I'm not in the game any more but I still play, and playing with the range finder is fun. I like to range something, then walk it off with a GPS, either both are broke or its like I said, accurate to about 700 yards.

Mine has other fetures. It measures angles and computes actual or angel distances. It also had a means to put in your caliber (preprogramed) and based on sighting in at 200 yards tells you how much hold over/under you need in MOA. Its pretty accurate with my 270, 257, 223 and 308 loadings..

Its also 8X so it makes a pretty compact Mono. For me it would be a waste of time using it for ranging animals because I dont believe I ever shot a game animal over 300 yards. I do range my horses and deer in my back pasture and the neighbors cows.

Like I said I'm not in the game, but I'm in the playing (retired) stage of my life and my Leopold range finder is a lot of fun to play with. I have used it to measure the height of the ridge behind my house, ranging the base and top and doing that A squared-B squared = C squared deal. Then confired the elevation with my GPS. (I wanted to figure the hight so I didnt over shoot it playing with my 45-70 BP rifle to get sight settings for a 1 Mile Match).

When I was in the game, I used the Stadium Lines on the ART Scope on the M-21, I got pretty good with that. I haven't played with Mil Dots that much, but using the range finder to check Mil Dots and visa versa is handy.

If you are in the Sniper Game for the Army, they'll fix you up with the training and equipment you need. If you are into LE Counter Sniping, you dont have distance to worry about.

If you want to PLAY (like me) then by all means get a Range Finder.
    kraigwy
    Distinguished Rifle Badge #1071
    USAMU Sniper School, Oct '78

i dont know about today but when i went through in 2001, laser rangefinders w ere not allowed. they wanted you to learn to range using the issued mil-dot scope. range finders are used by today's combat snipers but are not concidered to be replacements for basic mil-dot ranging methods.
    vini vidi vici

Military Spec LRF's are incredibly accurate.

Check out the Leica Vectronix on the internet and you will see a set of binicular LRF's that will give you accurate ranging +- 1 m out to about 5,000mtrs.

Yep, everyone should learn to use their mildots and practice range estimation all the time, but with the top notch gear you can quickly identify and range a target in seconds.

The only downside is that this quality LRF costs about $15,000.oo USD. (No, i didn't add too many zeros).

For actual operations, you will find its rare to shoot more than 600metres.

A lot of guys get bushnells or Leupolds for the short range stuff to double check as they are little and portable.

LRF use will show up on passive or infra red NVG systems, so using them at night or even in the day can give your position away.

Cheers,
    QM
    Ω ξείν', αγγ*λλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ότι τήδε
    κείμεθα, τοις κείνων

bushnell's 1500 elite workks fine and only 350 bucks
    vini vidi vici

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads