MOA vs. Inches

This is a discussion on MOA vs. Inches within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; OK I read what MOA is. I think I understand it. What I just don't understand is why use MOA instead of inches. MOA is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOA vs. Inches

SW Ohio when I am not on my motorcycle riding north

MOA vs. Inches

OK I read what MOA is. I think I understand it. What I just don't understand is why use MOA instead of inches. MOA is 1.047 inches @ 100 yards. At 200 yards its twice that right. So aprox 1 inch at 100 and 2 at 200 etc...

So I am assuming this helps in some calulation somehow for long range shooting?!?
    Maybe I am overthinking it but it seems inches would be the same or is it that 1 MOA is a standard and then you just figure the distance to find the size of the group.

So basicaly as I think through this its just saying 1 inch at 100yrd (1.047) and figuring that you can figure that at 500 yards it will be 5 times that size.

I guess what confuses me is that people will state MOA and yardage. Like 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. So basicaly 1 inch right....

Oh now my head hurts LOL :lol:

Just trying to understand. Thanks in advance.
    Jason

Its not nearly as complicated as you are thinking it is.

If someone says they shot a 1moa group at 600yds. They are just saying they shot a group about 6" at 600yds. Without the distance said, nobody would know how far away their MOA group was shot. Pretty simple.

One inch is one inch, one moa (at 100 yards) is 1.047.

People get picky when we talk about 1 moa being 1 inch instead of the actural 1.047.

What's the differance at 1000 yards, .47 inches (actual). How many of us can read the wind, mirage, temps etc withing 1/2 of inches actual???

Not many. Just something to confuse the issue.

Now to what I think is your question. I coached the AK NG Rifle Team for several years. Also instructed NG & Civ LE Sniper Schools. Presently I'm a CMP GSM MI. I used inches as MOA, not 1.047.

When I call for corrections I call for clicks, meaning 1 MOA clicks (service rifles). So if I'm on the 200 yard line, when I call for a click, I call for a MOA, which would be 2 inces actuarl. Same with 300, 600, 1000 etc.

Lets say you are shooting a vintage rifle match. You normaly shoot those matches at 200 yards. But the next match you shoot is going to be a 100 yard reduced match. How does that effect your MOA calls? It doesn't. A MOA is a MOA. The Scoring rings on the NRA HP 200 yard target are 1.5 minutes (MOA), the scoring rings on the 100 yard reduced target is .75 inches. So if your no wind zero is 4 clicks right from the Mech zero on your rifle it will be the same at 100 or 200. If your wind call calles for 2 min or moa at 200, and you check your data book (the one I know you keep) and the wind you estimated was 2 min at 200, then it will still be 2 min at 100 yards. That would move your impact the same in relation to the scoring rings on the above target.

Forget trying to keep up with how many kicks on your sights equal 1 inch. There are too many differant sights so its easy to get mixed up, stick to calling minutes (moa), a MOA is a MOA regardless of what gun or sights you are using.

It comes under the KISS consept.

Ignor people who want to argue that a MOA is 1.047. Again KISS. When that individual can shoot with in 1/2 of inch at 1000 yards then he has something to say.

Shooting is 95% + mental, if you are worrying if you should have figured 1 in per moa or 1.047 in per moa, you are not concentrating on your fundamentals.
    kraigwy
    Distinguished Rifle Badge #1071
    USAMU Sniper School, Oct '78

... or better yet... forget minutes and use mils.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan
    ... or better yet... forget minutes and use mils.
    +1 on mils.

Jamie

Ok now MOA makes a little more sense.....

mills....I guess I need to keep reading...LOL

Thanks

Jason

Well there is a reason for MOA.

As far as groups go, I interchange inches and moa. I don't shoot far enough out for it to make a difference, so it isn't a big deal for me. Why people use both is just a matter of preference.

But as to why MOA is used for shooting at all, you have to think about scope adjustments. When you adjust 1 click up on a scope, you have to remember it is an angle, so it is moving more and more the farther away you get. So we use MOA when talking about scope adjustments. For example, it is easy to say that a scope has 1/4moa adjustments, meaning every 4 clicks and you moved your POI 1 MOA. Now, obviously that means 4 clicks moves you one(ish) inch at 100 yards. But it also did 2" at 200, and so on. So instead of just listing inches of movement per yardage, it is much easier to say MOA.

So for a set distance, yeah, I think they are close enough to be the same. But when you think of changing distances, MOA starts to make sense. :wink:

Here's a good primer on milradian.

http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php ... d_reticle/

If you are new to shooting, save yourself some grief and learn with mils, and mil/mil/ffp optics. You can thank me later.

Orkan,

Thanks for the link. I'll read up on it. I bought my first mildot scope (pretty cheap scope though) recently. Well I bought it a while ago but just mounted it on my new Rem 597. See the rimfire thread for pics.

Anyway not new to shooting. I have shot since I was young just never at distances over 300 yards. I shot expert in the Army with the m-16. I hunt alot (bow mostly) but never really have had a long range gun. I have always wanted to try it. So when I found this place it just made me want to learn.

So thanks for putting up with my weird questions. I am a pretty quick study usually. So if I can eventually scrape together enough to by a long range gun I'll be a step ahead.

Simple Minutes is an SI unit and Inches is useless :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads