Shooting skills, groups, and techniques

This is a discussion on Shooting skills, groups, and techniques within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Very nice site. I am a new rifle guy, mostly a shotgun guy and hunter. I got a Henry 22 to plink with and I ...

Shooting skills, groups, and techniques

Very nice site. I am a new rifle guy, mostly a shotgun guy and hunter. I got a Henry 22 to plink with and I was getting into coyote hunting so I bought a vanguard in .243 and found this site because it uses a howa 1500. I put a vortex viper 2-7x32 on the rifle and did some basic site in. I really want to be an accomplished shooter with this rifle and do the appropiate range time and practice to have good skills, learn and prove the ballistics and learn how to shoot in the wind. My uncle is putting in a 600 us range on his land so I started getting in to reading about long distance shooting.

Anyway on the questions. I bought a sandbag and went to the range to see what loads I liked. It shot rem express 100g corelokt in a horizontal string 5 inches wide, but all at 2 inches high. I switched to some hornady 95g superformance and got a 2 shot clover and a 2 inch group, but 2 inches left of poa. I moved the scope and shot a couple groups about 2 inches wide. Some to the left . Some high. So I was confused. One, I thought shooting off a rest would be so stable that I would have no issues. Wrong!! Still need good technique. Also, 100 yards is far!!

Anyway, before any real load testing needs to be done, I need to practice!!!! However, I am unsure about some things. One, my shots were to the left quite often. What technique am I doing wrong? Secondly, my barrel was jumping left on recoil. What does that mean? Lastly, Should the trigger break really surprise me or should I learn the trigger and know it is going to break??? Also, what is proper "follow-through" on a rifle??

Any websites or resources for good rifle techniques welcome as well. Thanks all!

Re: Shooting skills, groups, and techniques

Did I put this in the wrong forum?

No it's the right place.

Best place to start is getting a copy of the USAMU Service Rifle Guide. Granted its geared toward High Power Rifle, it covers all the basics of fundamentals of marksmanship. Needed regardless of what type of shooting you plan on getting into.

Best $6.95 you can spend if you are interested in the art of rifle shooting.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/ ... ote5=&max=
    kraigwy
    Distinguished Rifle Badge #1071
    USAMU Sniper School, Oct '78

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking. A solid recommendation from an experience shooter to a reputable source. Thanks. Ordered tonight!

I e-mailed the CMP bookstore because my card hadn't been charged and they said it was a wait time of 30-60 days of processing before shipping because they are backed up!!! That is crazy. So it my be a while. Any basic tips to hold me over until my book comes?

The CMP offered for sale some M1C scopes and other parts on the 29th of Nov. At the same time they offered WWII bayonets not previously offered. That and people shopping for Christmas overloaded their system creating the backlog you were told about. I know I have two orders waiting to be processed also. Normally they are pretty prompt.

Please dont hold that against the CMP, they provide a great service to the shooting public.

HOWEVER:

The guide I told you about covers the M16 Service Rifle. I do have one of the older manuals, the M14 Service Rifle guide on .pdf format. It actually goes more into the detail you want.

If you pm me with your e-mail address, I will send it to you. I will warn you, its a large file, I had to break it into two sections to get it to go at all. If you want it, I'll send it to you. Its well worth the reading. I actually like it more then the new version as it goes more into coaching which is where my shooting interest lies now.
    kraigwy
    Distinguished Rifle Badge #1071
    USAMU Sniper School, Oct '78

Pm sent. I won't hold it against them. It seems like a very cool program. I just couldn't figure out how in the world they got that behind. Your explanation makes sense!!

my shots were to the left quite often. What technique am I doing wrong?
    Are you jerking the trigger? if you are that could be your problem. make sure your pulling the trigger straight back at an even speed.

Secondly, my barrel was jumping left on recoil. What does that mean?
    make sure your body is inline with the rifle. if your shooting from a prone position make sure your right leg, foot, hip, and shoulder are all in a straight line. (assuming your right handed, if your a lefty then switch) that should make your body absorb the majority of the recoil. and try tightening or lessening your hold between your shoulder and your rifle. too tight and it could cause the recoil to go in a different direction. too loose and the same problem appears.

Should the trigger break really surprise me or should I learn the trigger and know it is going to break???
    I've always been told that it should surprise you. if you anticipate the rifle firing then you may flinch, jerk the trigger, or in my case start to close your eye before the rifle fires. you should have your eye open through out the process. just remember, your completely safe behind the rifle so you have nothing to fear. this thought process helped me get over flinching.

Also, what is proper "follow-through" on a rifle??
    This is straight from FM 23-10: Sniper Training .

3-5. FOLLOW-THROUGH
    Applying the fundamentals increases the odds of a well-aimed shot being fired. When mastered, additional skills can make that first-round kill even more of a certainty. One of these skills is the follow-through.

a. Follow-through is the act of continuing to apply all the sniper marksmanship fundamentals as the weapon fires as well as immediately after it fires. It consists of--

(1) Keeping the head infirm contact with the stock (stock weld).

(2) Keeping the finger on the trigger all the way to the rear.

(3) Continuing to look through the rear aperture or scope tube.

(4) Keeping muscles relaxed.

(5) Avoiding reaction to recoil and or noise.

(6) Releasing the trigger only after the recoil has stopped.

b. A good follow-through ensures the weapon is allowed to fire and recoil naturally. The sniper/rifle combination reacts as a single unit to such actions.

these are all my person all thoughts and opinions (except the excerpt from FM 23-10) I'm sure someone can put a better write up but hopefully this will put you on the right track.

this is also worth a look, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... index.html ,it's FM 23-10. i recommended buying it so you can always have it with you. you can get it from amazon.com or ebay.
    U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.

Don't think about all those you feel, just be glad to be here.

So excellent that I can't agree more!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Party Dresses|Cocktail Dresses|Sheath Wedding Dresses

Ads