getting rid of a jerk...

This is a discussion on getting rid of a jerk... within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I dont know if this is the right place for this but i need help getting rid of the jerk and or flinch when i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

getting rid of a jerk...

I dont know if this is the right place for this but i need help getting rid of the jerk and or flinch when i pull the trigger. i try to tell myself to squeeze and not pull but it doesnt seem to work. any advice on getting rid of this jerk? Also the recoil causes the rifle to hop, therefore making the follow through nearly impossible. i need serious help here and am lost with what to do. please help!
    Zack Addis

Re: getting rid of a jerk...

you are exactly right about the bipod and hard bench. i will try something soft. what about it recoiling and not being able to follow through. it hops pretty bad.
    Zack Addis

ok thanks. i appreciate the help. i'll try it next time i'm out.
    Zack Addis

Try dry firing. Set the rifle up as if you were going to shoot and put a snap cap in the chamber. Go through all of the procedures that you normally would use. When you pull the trigger and it breaks, you should still be focused and your eye and yourself should not flinch.
    one shot, one kill

its all in your head..

pretend that the rifle takes 2 seconds to fire AFTER you have sqeezed the trigger SLOWLY to the furthest rearward position.

constantly increasing pressure on the trigger you should not know WHEN the gun is going to fire and SURPRISED when it does.
    vini vidi vici

+1 on the dry firing. It has helped me a ton!
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

This is where a .22 rifle comes in handy. There's no recoil to speak of so you won't find yourself jerking, and you can concentrate on trigger pull and see on paper how your technique is improving.

Believe it or not, something else that has improved my shot tremendously is an air soft gun. They are actually pretty accurate to 25 yards or so and really help with trigger control and follow through. The good thing about these is you can shoot your family members, neighbors pets, squirrels in the back yard, soda cans on the counter, light bulbs (the florescent ones make a cool little poof), or whatever else you can come up with- indoors or out. They make a click and spit out a little plastic BB so noise and recoil is nonexistent. They wont injure or kill anything and they feel and look like a real gun. If you do your part they will hit what you aim them at while costing less than $50.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

Stevens 200 6.5x47 Lapua project rifle
    6.5x55 M96 Swedish Mauser
    S&W 1500 .30-06
    Savage 64FXP
    Springfield XD45 Tactical Bi-tone

yea ive got snap caps and dry every once in a while...guess i need to do it more. about the have someone load or not load the rifle im kind of alone since i just moved. no family or friends around, only a gf and i dont think she would do it.

as for the .22 and/or airsoft gun. ive been looking at both. walmart has a savage .22lr for like $117.
    Zack Addis

Dry firing is a must, but technique is everything. The rifle is jumping probably because your holding in too tight into your shoulder. The rifle wants to recoil back into your shoulder instead of popping up on you. Use you left hand to push the stock into your shoulder but don't be stiff with your shoulder. If your shoulder is too tight the recoil has nowhere to go but up. If you allow your shoulder to give a little when pulling the trigger you will have much less jump and the recoil will go back enabling you to keep your sight picture for a follow up. Also remember to stay "In the Shot" Try to force yourself to see the bullet hit the target. This will help keep you in the shot and give you a better chance of a follow up. IMHO its much easier to stay in the shot in the prone position. You can get yourself lined up directly behind the rifle creating a straight line from your muzzle down throught the middle of your feet. Pull the trigger straight back into the butt of the gun, stay in the shot, and allow your shoulder to give a little. In other words don't tense up like a solid block behind the rifle, relax, and use your bone support to keep you still. And make sure to Breathe, calmly, and pull at the end of the exhale. I could go on but I'm hoping this is enough info at once.
    Just some thoughts for you. Hope it helps.
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

you mean use the right hand to pull the stock into his shoulder providing he's right handed. the left should do nothing but support.
    vini vidi vici

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads