Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Common Object Sizing for Range Estimation

15K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tackdriving 
#1 ·
I am trying to hone by mildot ranging techniques and I usually run into situations where I am trying to determine (guess) the average size of an object. Known targets (e.g. IPSC) are easy enough to research, but trash and other objects in the firing theater require experience or some other source of knowledge. Is there a good place to read about common object sizes for use when performing mildot range estimation? For example, a standard tire is approximately 15 inches in height, a standard fence is 36 inches in height, a post it note is 3 inches square, a telephone pole is approximately 35 feet tall, an average sized white tail deer's hind quarters is approximately 36 inches, and so on. Perhaps a better way of asking this: how do others estimate object size when perform mildot ranging?

#5 ·
No Problem,
There is some other stuff I didn't find such as Vehicle heights (hood/roof), differences in tire diameters (Humvee vs Chevy p/u), average heights of people of different ethnic(?) backgrounds.
I've never been to a match where you have to estimate target size so I don't know what's common? Do they give you a silhouette with a description such as "average height American/middle eastern/etc?" Or "1990's Chevy 4x4 p/u". I'm new here and this might be against the forum rules but I know "Impact Data books" has an insert with some of this info that can easily be inserted into a data-book. I'm not trying to advertise for them just pointing to another source.
David E.

#6 ·
Most ranges I have been to are KD such as Quantico in VA. There are predefined firing lines out to 1K yards. My main goal is mostly academic; learning to quickly perform a range estimation on an unknown distance range (e.g. someone's personal property). I have never been to a competition shooting so I would have to defer to others as to whether there are competitions that require range estimation, but I imagine that is a common practical for at least some competitions.

#8 · (Edited)
Nice thread. I started building a card to add to the one already built into my Impact Data book for known object sizes that you encounter on a day to day basis. I took a Precision Rifle class this past weekend out to 1100 yards. Most of the class focused on UKD reticle ranging.

At the end of the class we were given the Marine Scout Sniper UKD Qualification course. While we went in for lunch the instructors placed 10 targets at unknown distances between 300 and 800 yds. We were then brought back to the firing line and given 20 minutes to build our range card and range all 10 targets and determine dope. The targets were steel, IDPA 31x18, Fat Boys 24x18, Skinny Boy's 24x12 and what they called Swinging Dick 20x12.

We were each given 10 seconds to fire the first shot at each target and if we missed we were given 5 seconds for a follow up shot. 1st rd hits were worth 10 points and 2nd round hits were worth 8 points. I ended up passing by 3 points with my POF P308 14.5" AR10 and H4895 handloads.

I really enjoyed the UKD training and really got the hang of it. We also learned what to look for in the environment to determine wind speed like light breeze on the face, small leaves blowing, large trees blowing, etc. We were playing with a 12-18mph wind during the UKD test which made things difficult.

You also found out how important having matching reticle/turrets helped you so you didn't have to do the extra math. Also, guys with SFP scopes had to range in full magnification vs FFP scopes otherwise more math is required. Ranging with your scope really opens your eyes to which reticles to choose from on your next scope purchase. Having more granular hashes in your reticle instead of .5 mil hashs really help with more exact range estimations. I am looking at the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2 Mil with 10 mil turrets to replace my SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 MIL/MIL FFP due to its more minute reticle options. Being off a 1/10th at 800-1000 can mean the difference between a hit or a miss.

#9 ·
Wow, nice job on the UKD ranging. I am learning on a MIL/MOA scope, but I know my next glass will be a MOA/MOA FFP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.