Custom 308 barrel specs - Page 2

Custom 308 barrel specs

This is a discussion on Custom 308 barrel specs within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by Cliffy Can I ask what action is this build on? Do you no what bulleg your going to shoot? And what lenght ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Custom 308 barrel specs

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Can I ask what action is this build on? Do you no what bulleg your going to shoot? And what lenght of barrel?

Cliffy
    The novelty of the 338Lp has worn off in the Savage 110 FCP HS. I'm over 1000 rounds now in the 338, and almost exclusively shoot my 308 now and just have a thing for that cartridge. So I will be doing a long action 1.120" to 1" taper 28-30" finish barrel, and looking at the heavier SMK's or 190lr accubonds. What are you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    This is what I recommend if your going to go with DIY.

As far as set back,yeah it depends on how much throat it shot out. But from what I've read, usally no more than 1/4" or so each time. That means your barrel shank needs to be the same size at the action end for 3-4". Now you said you don't mind some threads showing, if your going with a shouldered style barrel, then you can't have threads showing. You need a shoulder for the action to sit against. If your going barrel nut style, there is no need to have extra thread there. When you set back the barrel (on either style) you have to cut a whole new chamber anyways. Whats adding a little bit of thread going to hurt.

I asked my smith about the cost of doing a prefit barrel v s having him turn a blank. He said it will save you $50. For $50 I'm having him cut the threads and chamber it.
    Yea if its only 3 threads or 1/4" at a time, then I'm not to worried about threading long. One smith here was indicating 1-2" at a time. I am trying to maintain a barrel nut system for easier servicing DIY. Cost difference here is quite a bit more!
    Thanks,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    The novelty of the 338Lp has worn off in the Savage 110 FCP HS. I'm over 1000 rounds now in the 338, and almost exclusively shoot my 308 now and just have a thing for that cartridge. So I will be doing a long action 1.120" to 1" taper 28-30" finish barrel, and looking at the heavier SMK's or 190lr accubonds. What are you thinking?
    Go 30-06 then. You can push the 190-220 bullets a lot better than you can with the .308.

Also have you looked at what size barrel you can run with a nut? Usally they're not that large in diameter.

Here's a new option to consider. new barrel nut system, the BugNut - 1 - SnipersHide.com Forums - Scout

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    Yea if its only 3 threads or 1/4" at a time, then I'm not to worried about threading long. One smith here was indicating 1-2" at a time. I am trying to maintain a barrel nut system for easier servicing DIY. Cost difference here is quite a bit more!
    Thanks,
    Don
    If your going to a barrel nut, then don't worry about set backs. I know cost is more there, but the idea of a barrel nut is to be able to do in home swaps.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I would just rebarrel and not set back. Setting back is hard on reamers most likely trash it on a set back. Throat get really hard and is not smooth and of differ harnesses

Cliffy
    NorCalFocus likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads