Custom 308 barrel specs

Custom 308 barrel specs

This is a discussion on Custom 308 barrel specs within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi, I am just going through the motions to have a custom barrel made for a target rifle in 308. One of my concerns are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Custom 308 barrel specs

Custom 308 barrel specs

Hi,
    I am just going through the motions to have a custom barrel made for a target rifle in 308. One of my concerns are that I would like to be able to set the barrel back once or twice, and how much shank should I leave to allow for set back? I don't mind some threads showing, but how much would you typically set back a chamber at a time, a couple mills, or 1" or so? I know it is probably dependent on the throat condition and how far erosion has gone, but what is typical?
    Also I will be purchasing the reamer(s). Should this be 2 or 3 reamers, like roughing, finishing and neck reamer? Or would just the finishing and neck reamers do?
    Thanks,
    Don

Are you doing the work yourself? If not...then why not ask your smith these questions as he will be the one doing the work.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Are you doing the work yourself? If not...then why not ask your smith these questions as he will be the one doing the work.
    Excellent question. I am getting differing opinions on how to go about this. Also I am seeing the difference between the smiths that prefer to order a barrel vs make the barrel, so some are trying to persuade me towards what is easier for them. I want to order the barrel as kind of a "prefit" and install myself. I will be buying a bolt head from PT&G so have to wait on that anyway.
    For the eventual set back, I would be doing that myself with the help of a good machinist friend. Saves 2-6 months wait and I will learn something in the process.
    So yes I will be doing a lot of the work myself. Anyone have an idea for typical set back, what you normally see?
    Thanks,
    Don

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I have done the "several month smith wait" in the past. Now I use TS Customs and the turnaround is phenomenal along with the work he does. I would want a barrel blank used by a good smith for any custom I was putting together. A prefit just wouldn't cut it for me.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I don't hide the fact I am in Canada. Most smith's I have spoken with want to do the work themselves and won't touch a used barrel. And rightfully so I guess.
    So this is what I am trying to have made. A barrel blank, threaded as required, chambered SAAMI spec, contoured as specified- all which I have indicated and more, if done right should be better than an ordered prefit. Cost is difference between $700 and $1400 along with waiting period.

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    Hi,
    I am just going through the motions to have a custom barrel made for a target rifle in 308. One of my concerns are that I would like to be able to set the barrel back once or twice, and how much shank should I leave to allow for set back? I don't mind some threads showing, but how much would you typically set back a chamber at a time, a couple mills, or 1" or so? I know it is probably dependent on the throat condition and how far erosion has gone, but what is typical?
    Also I will be purchasing the reamer(s). Should this be 2 or 3 reamers, like roughing, finishing and neck reamer? Or would just the finishing and neck reamers do?
    Thanks,
    Don
    Look at this, Installing a short chambered barrel on a Remington 700 | Rifleshooter.com

Can I ask what action is this build on? Do you no what bulleg your going to shoot? And what lenght of barrel?

Cliffy

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Don
    The width of 3 threads.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Quote Originally Posted by maddogmaglin View Post
    This is what I recommend if your going to go with DIY.

As far as set back,yeah it depends on how much throat it shot out. But from what I've read, usally no more than 1/4" or so each time. That means your barrel shank needs to be the same size at the action end for 3-4". Now you said you don't mind some threads showing, if your going with a shouldered style barrel, then you can't have threads showing. You need a shoulder for the action to sit against. If your going barrel nut style, there is no need to have extra thread there. When you set back the barrel (on either style) you have to cut a whole new chamber anyways. Whats adding a little bit of thread going to hurt.

I asked my smith about the cost of doing a prefit barrel v s having him turn a blank. He said it will save you $50. For $50 I'm having him cut the threads and chamber it.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogmaglin View Post
    Ill have a better read when I get home but this looks very similar to what I want to do. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads