Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

86K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  firstblood807 
#1 · (Edited)
What's the best scope in your opinion to perch on top of my RPR for around 600-700?

Thanks in advance.

:grin:

#2 ·
Save your money and get a better scope. You got a rifle worth $1200. Why put a scope not of the same quality on it?

$500-$600 doesn't buy you a quality target scope. You can get a ok to decent hunting scope. The lowest scope I'd go is the SWFA 3-15 FFP at about $700. But I'd still recommend saving more for a better scope.

Reactions: SatCong and Tape
#8 ·
I own 4 Vortex scopes myself, my son just put a PST on his RPR. My buddy has 5 Vortex scopes. My parents have about 6 between them. None of us have had issues due to quality. My dad and I both had scopes break on us due to us. We just sent them in and had them fixed or replaced.

Now scopes for what you want in about that price range...

SWFA 3-15x44 HD FFP. $700
Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24x50 FFP $800
Vortex Viper PST Gen I 6-24x50 FFP $900
Burris XTR II 5-25x50 FFP $1200
Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP $1200 (and wait time. They're still not out yet)

Anyone one of those will serve you well until you decide you want or need better. Look all of them up and if you have questions let's go from there.

#17 ·
Although your reply is opinionated, which you have the right to express. I would say that it is somewhat false.. many people who jumped on the nightforce train awhile back jumped off and got on the vortex train when they came out with the razor gen 2.. A lot of scopes are good and even some of the best scopes still come out of the box with issues.

#11 ·
If it was me paying a bit over a grand, I'd wait for the Vortex PST Gen II, or if buying now... the Nightforce SHV F1 FFP.

If you're stuck at $600-$700 (stuck, as in three or more months of waiting won't help your money situation), I'd get the SWFA 3-15x42 (FFP model, Mil-Quad) if buying new.

If buying USED at $700 (shop around for transferable warranties). I'd get a either a Vortex PST or a Burris XTR.

I'd seriously consider the 2-10 or 3-15 magnification range. Magnifications above that begin to dedicate the rifle towards paper-punching rather than practical field use. And I don't think they're as much fun. Just IMO.

#12 · (Edited)
Read the comments on the review for the Weaver. Two guys having the same issue.

OP, check these out

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628679725 (priced too high and will be relisted)
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629900896
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Vipe...921223?hash=item33ca1848c7:g:RPAAAOSw2gxYwK0H
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Vipe...358045?hash=item1ec3583a1d:g:-PcAAOSw4CFYyEKM

I'd be checking the model numbers to make sure they are first focal plane, but I know I saw one that was FFP for 800. There are more, but these are just a few of the first ones that I came across.

Remember, Vortex has the unconditional warranty. Drop your scope out of a tree? Buy one used that is fukked up? They replace/repair it for free. It's very unlikely I'll ever buy from another company, but that's just me.

#14 ·
Don't pass on a scope because its a second focal plane until you've tried a first focal plane. I've shot sfp optics for years and finally decided to try a ffp since everyone was telling me how much better they are. Bought a Sig Optics Tango4 6-24x50 and mounted it on my rifle. I love the glass but got really frustrated after I sighted it in and there was a black shadow (not an eye relief issue) on the edge of the image I adjusted it away from. It goes away when you dial up the zoom but then it becomes apparent that the reticle is off center which drives me nuts. I did some looking into if I got a defective optic but found that to be a characteristic of ffp optics. Doesn't affect the way it shoots but it was annoying enough that I pulled it off and put the vortex sfp back on. Most people like ffp over sfp but that is my opinion. Do with it what you will.

#19 ·
I knew that when I posted, my comment was opinionated, as most comments on this board are. At one time I had 2 NF and a vortex because I know a few guys that shoot with and like the vortex. I also realize it may have been the luck of the draw on the vortex, but a really great guarantee doesn't help if/when it fails in the field. I don't consider myself a brand snob because I also shoot with a Burris , a Leopold, a Weaver, and now 3 NF, because ( for me...and this is my opinion, ) it's the best scope for the money.

BTW, I recently purchase an Athlon, returned the first one, because of a defect. It's a decent scope for the money, but I'll leave it on a rimfire.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers, that wasn't the intent.

#20 ·
Best scope for the money: Tangent Theta.

Reason: it is the last scope you will ever buy.

You can play around with cheaper, subpar scopes and easily spend enough to buy a TT...and the whole time be frustrated or not even know what you are missing. Or you can buy the TT one time and be done.

BTW--Godell50. The TT is a FFP and does not do that. Don't judge all FFP scopes based on the one sub par one you have experience with. That is like saying, "I wouldn't use a semi auto pistol over a revolver because I tried a hi-point and it didn't work right".

Reactions: Rhyno430
#21 ·
I just purchased a Burris XTR II 5-25 x 50 FFP scope and Burris extreme rings thru Amazon.

I weighed all the advice and decided I wasn't putting a $2800 scope on a $1200 rifle. The Optics Nazi's in here are a hoot.

If I were to trade up to a Bergarra as I plan then it would be a worthy match as I would ship the RPR with the XTR included.

Here in CT. I will seldom shoot further than 200yds. There is one range I know of with 600 but private and no publicity.

#22 ·
I remember when you had to do something like kill or support the killing of 6 million Jews to be considered a Nazi.

Now all you have to do is have a different opinion.

No grandma you don't understand, you may have escaped Hitler and the third Reich, but someone's opinion differed then mine today, have some sympathy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I think higher-end-of-brand offerings ($900-$1200) from SWFA SS (5-20HD), Bushnell (LRSi), Vortex (PST Gen II) and Burris (XTRII) are not going to disappoint. I think scope makers "get it", at looong last. The educated consumer is done messing around.
Second-tier offerings from Nightforce (SHV F1) look really good, I wouldn't hesitate on a good deal. All of these brands have good to excellent features. And are clear and rugged for their segment of the market.

First Focal Plane (I like both SFP and FFP for different reasons), is probably the way to go. I wouldn't start someone out on SFP. I had a friend who refused to be educated on the topic. He thought I was making life too complicated. He just wanted to pull the trigger. SFP is the equivalent of driving stick in the automotive world. You gotta know what you're doing. There's both a lot of commonly taught and home-brew methods out there for making SFP extremely fast and effective in a tactical environment.

The biggest argument IMO for FFP is that it is optically easier for the manufacturer to make it immune from POI shift. A mid-range FFP scope is potentially more consistent than a SFP scope costing more.

QUESTION:

Are you going to mostly shoot this rifle in the prone or bench position at static targets between 100 and 800 yards?

If so, I would HIGHLY recommend dumping all this money into a fixed medium power scope. You want the money to go towards consistent operation of the adjusters, and high optical quality. Seeing what you are shooting at, and operating a scope that is 100% responsive to your input is a NECESSITY. Particularly for beginners. You don't want to be fighting your equipment.

A system of simple, high quality equipment that "just works" is a joy, and will make you smile.

For example, I think the IOR Fixed 16x scope or even the fixed 10x scope are worth a close look. Very rugged. Fewer moving parts. Also, the FOV on these scopes is HUGE relative to just about every other manufacturer at 16x and 10x power. If you can wait and save up, a fully outfitted USO fixed 10x is as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Pay. Serious. Money. For your mounting system and (if required) an in-lb torque wrench. Pay. The money.

#25 ·
The swfa fixed 10 which is/was the super sniper scope is a great value for the money. If I was limited by cash and needed a cheap scope that's the route id go. Very simple, lots and lots of great reviews and it's built like a tank! It's been used many many times on 800+yd shots. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#28 · (Edited)
If you are active military, a veteran, a copper, or a hoser, both Vortex and Burris offer great discount programs. Google it.
BTW, I own the Leupold scope you're looking at and love it. Second Focal Plane has its disadvantages but overall I love that scope. I also have have a few Vortex scopes to include a PST and HS LR, both FFP, and they're nice.

#37 ·
Athlon Argos BTR FFP 369$. Mine has held up. Tracks perfect and has 500 shots on it. .308
Worth a look.

Great thing is. If it stops working send it back and they will send you a new one no questions asked. I don't roll around with my rifle and beat it against trees so I'm hoping I get long life out of it.

I love mine! Have one of my Savage FCP K and it hasn't let me down yet!

#42 ·
I don't think you need to "know someone" as you'd be buying directly from Vortex. They will require proof that you qualify for the discount but that should be easy enough. A copy of your DD-214, some other proof of current active or reserve duty status or letter from your police superior should do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.