Hearing Protection Act- Possible time horizon - Page 2

Hearing Protection Act- Possible time horizon

This is a discussion on Hearing Protection Act- Possible time horizon within the Supressors forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by deadshot2 The President does not pass laws. He can suggest and support but Congress is where the work is done. There's a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hearing Protection Act- Possible time horizon

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    The President does not pass laws. He can suggest and support but Congress is where the work is done. There's a good case to be made for taking them off the NFA list but just remember that there are still those like Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi in Congress that still have political clout. The anti-gun Democrats are in the minority but don't forget that there are anti-gun Republicans too.

This is no slam-dunk so I won't be jumping for joy until I see the ink drying on the bill where Trump has signed it.
    Same here

Deadshot2 is right. The process of taking and idea and turning it into law is a very long and arduous. So go ahead and have high hopes but don't have any expectation that such a bill will even come close to passing.

although i really hope it does

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Write your Congressmen/women. It worked here in FL as it is now legal to hunt with a suppressor. Also inform your Congress that suppressors are mandatory in Europe due to noise complaints. Explain to them how ludicrous it is to make car/truck mufflers mandatory, OSHA factory worker ear protection mandatory, but not protect gun owners ears.

On a separate note, I don't understand how a suppressor costs more than an entire rifle. A rifle has more engineering, more materials, tighter manufacturing and safety specifications, etc., etc. Comparing the scale of engineering and materials between designing a $400-$600 rifle and a suppressor, suppressors should only cost about $100-$200 and not $1000 or like the OSS suppressor $2600. I think they are way over priced and are ripping off the buyers.
    Last edited by JustMe; 12-22-2016 at 04:27 PM.

In California, politicians are saying silencers only belongs to 007 and can be abused and used by assassins, professional killers and terrorists only.

And you know what's funny about it??? People are actually buying it!!!

That's cause they are bugger eating retards!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    In California, politicians are saying silencers only belongs to 007 and can be abused and used by assassins, professional killers and terrorists only.

And you know what's funny about it??? People are actually buying it!!!
    Californians and New Yorkers live in the fantasy world of movies. They think Bambi plays with bears and wolves in real life and they talk to each other. Californians and New Yorkers don't even know where the food they eat comes from. I remember a TV interview where these people were asked what they think about farmers and they said why do we need them, we can just go to the supermarket and get what we need. Same comments about the oil pipeline, we don't need oil/gas because we ride the bus. Real retards.
    Last edited by JustMe; 12-22-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Out of curiosity, I just visited Thunder Beast Arms website and they stated their Ultra-9 suppressor reduces a .308 noise level to 132dB-134dB. That's still extremely loud and will absolutely damage hearing. See the attached website of comparative noise levels. A jet engine in afterburner is 130dB and will definitely damage your hearing. The Air Force says wearing of ear protection is mandatory due to the noise level of a jet engine in 100% military power and the even louder afterburner power setting. 110dB is the average human pain threshold. I wonder if this 132dB noise level is measured from the shooter's position or from a point beside the muzzle? If 132dB is what the shooter experiences, I'd still say hearing protection is required.

Comparitive Examples of Noise Levels | Industrial Noise Control

and

Safe Noise Dose Chart: Noise Exposure Limits for Hearing Safety

The amount of time one is exposed to the sound comes into play as well. An afterburner is a continuous sound while a gun shot through a suppressor is only an instant.

Also consider...most plugs and muffs will reduce the sound by 22-32 decibels. Most suppressors reduce the sound by much more than that. Is it better to wear hearing protection with a suppressor...yes. Is it necessary...I don't believe so.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    On a separate note, I don't understand how a suppressor costs more than an entire rifle. A rifle has more engineering, more materials, tighter manufacturing and safety specifications, etc., etc. Comparing the scale of engineering and materials between designing a $400-$600 rifle and a suppressor, suppressors should only cost about $100-$200 and not $1000 or like the OSS suppressor $2600. I think they are way over priced and are ripping off the buyers.
    Simple answer. More bureaucracy means more paperwork. More labor cost in just record keeping for NFA item. Also factor in that you are hanging on to an item while the government agency plays pocket-pool instead of approving paperwork. How long does a background check require? Here in my state they can be conducted in hours for a Concealed Pistol Permit although some depts hang on to the approved permit for the statutory 30 day max. just to make sure. How long are the fed's taking now on approvals for NFA items? 8 months was the last I read.

Of course you then have the customer themselves that are responsible for high prices. They can't just settle for a good, reliable, effective, mass produced, suppressor, they demand something new, different, and more "sex appeal" so you end up with boutique prices for the ones that are "in" at any given time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads