Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Having problem with DPMS LR - 308 upper after changing to Magpul PRS stock

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  victorysilver1412 
#1 ·
I recently built an upper for my DPMS in 260 Remington with a 28 " Bartlein barrel in 1in 8.5 . The original rifle was an
DPMS AP 4 with an adjustable stock . I changed out the stock with a Magpul PRS stock with an extention .The problem is the bolt will not come back far enough to take the bullet from the mag when the rifle buffer is in the rifle . Would anyone have any idea what I could do to get it to operate correctly .

#2 ·
What buffer did you use in your PRS? The buffer for a collapsable stock and the fixed (A1/A2) stock are very different.

You gotta tell us everything.

Stock: Magpul PRS for AR-10 (I hope you didnt buy a PRS for an AR-15)
Buffer tube:
Buffer Spring:
Buffer:

#3 ·
I recently built an upper for my DPMS in 260 Remington with a 28 " Bartlein barrel in 1in 8.5 . The original rifle was an
DPMS AP 4 with an adjustable stock . I changed out the stock with a Magpul PRS stock with an extention .The problem is the bolt will not come back far enough to take the bullet from the mag when the rifle buffer is in the rifle . Would anyone have any idea what I could do to get it to operate correctly .

#6 ·
Your problem may be the screw that attaches the stock to the buffer tube (buttstock screw). The PRS requires a very short screw something around 1.5" if memory serves. If you have put an extension on, then you need a longer screw but it cannot be longer than the original screw + the extension length. My guess is that you are using a longer screw and the buffer is hitting it.

There is another issue with the extensions. The buttstock screw that Magpul provides with the PRS is vented (has a hole through it). Any replacement screw should also have a hole. I'm not 100% sure I believe that this is necessary. But my assumption is that if Magpul could substitute a less expensive item they would, so they think it's necessary.

#10 ·
Your problem may be the screw that attaches the stock to the buffer tube (buttstock screw). The PRS requires a very short screw something around 1.5" if memory serves. If you have put an extension on, then you need a longer screw but it cannot be longer than the original screw + the extension length. My guess is that you are using a longer screw and the buffer is hitting it.

There is another issue with the extensions. The buttstock screw that Magpul provides with the PRS is vented (has a hole through it). Any replacement screw should also have a hole. I'm not 100% sure I believe that this is necessary. But my omegle assumption is that if Magpul could substitute a less expensive item they would, so they think it's necessary.
Yes, this solution is helpful, great. I have the issue in the bolt will not come back far enough to take the bullet from the mag when the rifle buffer is in the rifle.

But now it's working perfectly. Thanks for the help.

#9 ·
Just make sure that you have a rifle buffer and not a carbine buffer in the PRS. The carbine buffer is shorter and with enough gas can push the charging handle through your face(Orbit bone) . Rifle buffer for rifle stock carbine buffer for carbine stock. This is very important.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.