Dialing MOA holdover from ballistic data.

This is a discussion on Dialing MOA holdover from ballistic data. within the The Academy forums, part of the Field & Tactical category; I just started shooting at ranges beyond 100 yards, so now I'm in the world of using hold overs and dope sheets. My gun has ...

I just started shooting at ranges beyond 100 yards, so now I'm in the world of using hold overs and dope sheets. My gun has been zeroed in at 100 yards and zero-stop adjusted. My scope has 20 MOA increments per turn in 1/4 moa adjustments. So my question is when I calculate my ballistic data from a zero of 100 yards to a distance of 600 yards, my drop at 600 yards is 15.26 MOA, so am I correct that I just use the closest MOA scope adjustment on my elevation turret? So in this example, do I dial my turrets to 15.25 MOA? Or do I go to the next highest MOA adjustment which will be 15.50?

Another question: If my scope has a total of 100 MOA of elevation adjustment, where is the factory default setting? Is it directly in the middle at 50 MOA?

Thanks,

Rick

The first thing you should do is a tall target test and make sure your scope adjustments are what the manufacturer says they are. Otherwise adjustments won't match up.

As far as what you do in the situation at 600 yards, it's up to you, I would dial to whatever is closest to the actual drop. In that situation you probably won't out shoot that difference.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Thanks for the video.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If your scope checks out just go with the closest even if it's dead in the middle say 15.125 at 600 yards and you dial to 15 even. A 1/8 moa at 600 yards is just a little over 3/4 of a inch.

its not enough to matter for most purposes,...but you could hold off some
    Spooky is a retired Law Enforcement Sharpshooter and Master Pistol Marksman.

Another question: If my scope has a total of 100 MOA of elevation adjustment, where is the factory default setting? Is it directly in the middle at 50 MOA? jiofi.local.html tplinklogin is it down
    Last edited by arresoki; 01-18-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arresoki View Post
    Another question: If my scope has a total of 100 MOA of elevation adjustment, where is the factory default setting? Is it directly in the middle at 50 MOA? jiofi.local.html tplinklogin is it down
    Interesting. Never thought of it. I don't think they are sitting in middle of it. That would mean the scope will most likely waste 50 MOA.

Let's see. For example, my scope has total of 26 mils travel. When I zeroed it, I had to come up little more than 2 mils. Now I have about 22 Mils left to play around. So, that means it was at about 2 mils. I guess they left some travel at the bottom just in case.
    Hidden Content

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    Interesting. Never thought of it. I don't think they are sitting in middle of it. That would mean the scope will most likely waste 50 MOA.

Let's see. For example, my scope has total of 26 mils travel. When I zeroed it, I had to come up little more than 2 mils. Now I have about 22 Mils left to play around. So, that means it was at about 2 mils. I guess they left some travel at the bottom just in case.
    On most rifles, they are close to the middle meaning that about half of the total up is wasted. This is why people buy bases with moa cant in them. It “buys back” some of the otherwise useless travel.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Ads