ATACS or Multicam? - Page 2

ATACS or Multicam?

This is a discussion on ATACS or Multicam? within the Camouflage forums, part of the Field & Tactical category; I hve experimented with number of patterns over the years ranging from commercial "hunting" patterns to "tactical" stuff from several nations. For my property in ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ATACS or Multicam?

I hve experimented with number of patterns over the years ranging from commercial "hunting" patterns to "tactical" stuff from several nations. For my property in the Missouri Ozarks, I have found Multicam to be the best for the fall/winter/early spring. But good old OD is the best for summer. However, I do throw the ghillie on when the hogs and meth addicts show up. I have found them both to be easily spooked by sudden movements and unfamiliar sounds.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Have you considered a ghillie?

If you've not, then now may be the time. Building one is a serious undertaking, but mine has been extremely rewarding and return on investment has been very good.

Oh, and people can't see them any better than a deer, so that solves that little problem.

-Nate
    If your looking for a proper Ghilie construction you will Need the following:

1) heavy needle and Thread
    2) BDU, DCU, Multicam, ATAC's, OG017's as a Base layer (arra of ops dependent)
    3) Foam Sleeping mat (Easy to cut)
    4) Shoe Goo
    5) Canvass (old service duffle bags)
    6) Jute (Stripping sand bags)
    7) Gloves
    8) Recommend Medical shears (They cut through everything)

Construction

1) Take your Base Layer and lay it our on the ground so the back of the back of the pants is skyward and the Top is face down.
    2) Cut your puss pad to the length desired for the front of your bottoms as well as the elbow area as well as the front of your top.
    3) Shoe goo the puss pad cutouts on the areas most used on the ground. Knees, thighs, elbows front of the jacket. (This is tailored to how you operate)
    4) Once your Pads are shoe goo'd down well, Take the canvass and over lap it on the pads and lock stitch it down, (You need to ensure you have heavy thread as well as needles)
    5) Once this is complete, you can start stripping the Jute from your sandbags. You should strip at least 15 bags to have the just you need to add to your ghillie as well as have some left over to replace when the old wears out.
    6)When you have your jute stripped you need to add it sparingly. You don't want to look like a ball O Jute (Not natural) remember you will add vegetation to your suit depending on the areas in which you operate in.

Recommend accessories to have

1) Pruning shears
    2) Range finder
    3) GPS
    4) Range cards Laminated
    5) Grease pencil
    6) Note book (Recon information to establish a patter with your game)
    7) Plastic baggies To water proof everything.
    8) Tripod to shoot from or to stack off of in your bowling alley
    9) Bonnie Hat
    10) Face cammo
    V/R
    Chris

Rem 700 Tac .308- 24"
    Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD .308- 24"
    Rem 700 P .308- 20"

Great info thanks!!
    Train your mind to be your most effective Weapon, they are usless without precise mission oriented Tactics

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

OK, I like Multi-Terrain Pattern...my 0.02$

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    To date, multicam is the most versatile pattern that I've seen. I've been using it for the last 2 years in one capacity or another, and fellow hunters always comment on how "invisible" I am. As mentioned in this thread, if you can hide from a human, you can EASILY hide from an animal. Take a look at this picture:

Kryptek highlander top, but I find it too dark, as is the case with nearly every camo on the market... they are too dark. Kryptek nomad is pretty good stuff, but highlander is too dark for most areas. Look at the contrast compared to those multicam pants. Imagine if the picture was from 50yds away. Numerous people have seen me walking around with that exact setup on, and they all say that my legs are near invisible. When I stop, it looks like a suspended torso. So, my vote goes for multicam, but I leave the door open for other contenders. That atacs fg looks ok, but it doesn't have the small dots of high contrast white to break it up a bit at distance. I bet it will wash together at range, and result in an outline.

Contrary to what government and Pentagon bean counters would want you to believe, there is no magical camouflage that is all things to all situations.

The reality is that like most choices, you must decide to either specialize and be very good at a single (or few) things or generalize and be okay or good, but not excellent at a bunch of things.

Some patterns do well in certain environments and fall short in others. It all depends on where you're going to be operating.

The best camouflage is always remaining absolutely still - and that's one of the huge problems with camouflage patterns. They may look great when posed against a background but not work worth a darn if the target is moving. Add into that the fact that this is a billion dollar industry with very sophisticated marketing people who can convince you that a dayglow orange leisure suit is what you need, and you have a real confusing mess on your hands.

Here's an interesting article on the subject: The History of Invisibility and the Future of Camouflage
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Doug's comment about the meth addicts has me intrigued.
    Are they just roaming around in the woods like Zombies in The Walking Dead?
    Hogs can be a very nervous bunch of critters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Doug's comment about the meth addicts has me intrigued.
    Are they just roaming around in the woods like Zombies in The Walking Dead?
    Hogs can be a very nervous bunch of critters.
    Unfortunately to some extent they are. The addicts have discovered that if they steal scrap metal and redeem it they can score a few hits. Drove into my camp last fall to find a couple of the scuz buckets trying to make off with my BBQ pit and a sundry other items in camp. Now bear in mind that I am three miles from the nearest road at this point. So it's obvious they hve been doing a bit of recon.

A friend and I also watched as as three of these delightful folks boldly walked right up his driveway to snatch the empty 55 gallon drums he had by his garage (he does metalwork and turns them into BBQ pits and other stuff). They took off like their hair was on fire and their asses was catching when we walked out the door.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Got em in my AO as well.
    Words cannot properly express my level of animosity towards them.
    Last edited by Hypo; 03-24-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    The best camouflage is always remaining absolutely still - and that's one of the huge problems with camouflage patterns. They may look great when posed against a background but not work worth a darn if the target is moving.

There's a lot to be said for basic OG-17 in more environments than patterned camouflages. Let shadows and foliage form the pattern, while the OG-17 simply blends and doesn't attract the eye. It often works well in forest, scrub, and barren or rocky terrain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads