Rifle Ghillie - Page 2

Rifle Ghillie

This is a discussion on Rifle Ghillie within the Camouflage forums, part of the Field & Tactical category; You can do your own sponge camo job, or you can send it to TS Customs for the full monte in cerakote. That's what I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rifle Ghillie

You can do your own sponge camo job, or you can send it to TS Customs for the full monte in cerakote. That's what I did with the rifle in the picture.

Here's a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Lots of deer have been shot without camo'd rifles before. Just make sure your not reflecting off your rifle and you should be fine.
    My own experience has been that I've seen more deer and deer got much closer when I camo up head to toe. Still got busted if they got down wind of me. I also saw more deer using blinds too. True I didn't need to camo as well if I was up a tree in a stand, that said, I've been busted by deer and bear looking up when I wasn't all camoed up. I'm just just guessing the less I or my rifle stick out the greater my chance of success.
    Last edited by Martino1; 11-10-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Administrator
    100 yards is not close. 50 yards is not close nor is 25 yards (but it's getting better). Only under 30-feet do things get interesting and you begin to worry about how great your camo is to keep you from getting in a fight...under a few yards, you're probably tipping the scale more towards 50/50 that a deer will choose to fight you if you startle it rather than run. My experience has been that it's best to stay the F still, and already be breathing into your jacket if it's cold outside.

Greg has some good advice about dark toned camo, and it works well for him, but do recognize he has a LITTLE bias shooting and living on the central plains. If you're in dark woodland, especially in areas with a lot of rain/overcast days, then I suggest you STILL go with a lot of light tones, but maybe something a little darker than multicam. I'd have to put it side by side, but I think even ATACS FG is darker than it. But keep in mind, as fabric gets wet, it will darken, and as Greg said (or inferred)...NO BLACK. NONE.

Anyhow, I'll say it: If you want 'danger close', a ghillie is the only way.

Get used to the idea, get an order sent, and then get to tying knots.

-Nate

ETA: Oh, and Cerakote et al. is nice, but certainly not needed. Flat krylon has been working well for so long that it is virtually without reproach for function, as it has kept a lot of guys alive. That said, for deer hunting in close, make sure to paint things at least a month in advance to try to eliminate all odor from the paint. IE: it's too late for this year.
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I wasn't going to publish this until next week sometime... but... this discussion requires it.

Hypo likes this.

Administrator
    Neat video, Mssr. Orkan. Really nice shot of the sun glinting off the projectile than you sometimes see, but rarey ever get on video.

Care to elaborate on the statement above?

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

What statement?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    I wasn't going to publish this until next week sometime... but... this discussion requires it.
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Oh. Well we were talking about getting deer close... and I had video of getting deer close in the wide open, as I said happened. So...

Orkan is that highlander or nomad pattern keyptek in the second pic? It looks like totally different shades in those two picks earlier in this thread. Heck your rifle even looks lighter in the second pic.
    Last edited by Martino1; 11-13-2016 at 07:47 PM.

The second pic isn't kryptek at all. The rifle is the same obviously. That's the point. Lighting makes all the difference in the world.

Short version: Dark camo, is worthless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads