Rifle Ghillie - Page 3

Rifle Ghillie

This is a discussion on Rifle Ghillie within the Camouflage forums, part of the Field & Tactical category; Originally Posted by Martino1 I don't want to paint my rifle. Has someone done a Ghillie for a rifle. I've seen some pics of finished ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rifle Ghillie

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    I don't want to paint my rifle. Has someone done a Ghillie for a rifle. I've seen some pics of finished work that were quite good a breaking up the weapon's profile. I've got some camo burlap but I'd like some insight before I get out the scissors. Would like a plan before I start cutting.
    Go buy a net with 1/2 or 1/4” squares. The pull the strands of Jute out of a burlap bag. Lay the net over the rifle and girth hitch the strands of jet cut in different lengths onto the netting.

When complete, you have a ghillie for your rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    V/R
    Chris

Rem 700 Tac .308- 24"
    Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD .308- 24"
    Rem 700 P .308- 20"

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    I wasn't going to publish this until next week sometime... but... this discussion requires it.

This vid window is blacked out on my new Win 10 machine.

Some sort of coating, cerakote, duracoat, spray paint, whatever, is definitely the way to go. Especially with an exposed barrel like in a standard stock.

Anything that touches the barrel can affect point of impact, and even if you zero with the ghillie on, it only be good as long as nothing changes, such as the garnish drawing moisture from the air, or rain.

I've spent a lot of time in a ghillie and they are always changing. Bits of garnish snag and fray, they pick up dirt, leaves, twigs. They draw moisture and sweat, get heavy as hell if you get caught in even a light sprinkle. The bottom line is they are such a pain in the ass that they aren't worth the hassle for 99% of people. They have their place where their benefit outweighs their drawbacks but those really only affect people using them on a professional, life and death, level.

The previous posts about lighter colors cannot be overstated. Most hunting camo patterns are much to dark. For good patterns at least for my area (South eastern mixed forest with river bottoms and Cypress swamps) think multicam, ocp, atacs arid and foliage, marpat once it has faded a bit, and you can mix and match, it's not a fashion show.

If you have an aversion to painting your rifle, spring for a professional coating or hydro dip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I just got around to reading this old thread.

For hunting purposes I have done everything from full ghillies to blaze orange, and for big mammals I have found sound and movement discipline to be the holy grail. Case and point. I have an ancient pic somewhere of my dad hungover and passed out next to a tree with a deer standing next to him. smelled like a distillery. Classic.
    Martino1 likes this.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Quote Originally Posted by doug308 View Post
    I just got around to reading this old thread.

For hunting purposes I have done everything from full ghillies to blaze orange, and for big mammals I have found sound and movement discipline to be the holy grail. Case and point. I have an ancient pic somewhere of my dad hungover and passed out next to a tree with a deer standing next to him. smelled like a distillery. Classic.
    That's funny... At least dad made it out to the woods in his ..... Tender condition..... Some guys are so happy to get away from the house, they forget that 3:00am comes in Really early after a night of celebrating being away from the house...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads