Berger 185gr VLD

Berger 185gr VLD

This is a discussion on Berger 185gr VLD within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I went to my local store and was looking to get some Scirocco 2's but they where out. I wound up walking out the door ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Berger 185gr VLD

I went to my local store and was looking to get some Scirocco 2's but they where out. I wound up walking out the door with some Berger 185 gr VLD's. I am shooting a m700 .300wsm with a 10twist barrell, I have shot accubonds and TSX's out of it with good results. Anyone have any tips for loading the Bergers?

I shoot the 140s in 6.5-284.

They like jammed into the lands.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

I took S1's advice on Berger 210 VLDs in my .300 RUM. What a difference. It really tightened things up around 300 yards. My grandpa's old farm is no longer active other than local farmers clearing hay from it, so I use it to practice long range and hunt.I'm doing under moa, and with practice,I'll try further with them. Right now, I'm confident I can bag deer up to 700 with this load. I'm a follower of the Elmer Keith method of hunting - get as close as you can, and narrow the margin for miss.I try to be an ethical hunter.

I'm sure that these will work for a .300 WSM, as long as your rifling is 1:10

Jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

What was his advice?
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Sorry, I should have been more detailed.I was loading with RL 25 powder, and shooting Nosler Accubonds.I got reasonable accuracy out of the Accubonds, but in warmer temperatures, I was getting primer poping pressures.After discussing the temperature sensitivity of RL 25, He suggested I try Retumbo powder, and Berger Vlds. I've been loading 85 grains of Retumbo with Federal 215 primers in Remington cases. I'm sub minute @300 yards, and the load recoils like a .30-06, about half as nasty as the RL 25. It worked wonders for my rifle. Like you advised, Tyler, I set the bullet almost on the lands. Not something for the inexperienced to try, but it worked out great for me. i can't say enough good things about these 210VLDs. As soon as I can get another day without rain (we really need it. My well is about dry!)I'll set up some targets and post pics of this performance.

Jeff

Jeff try some of the 208 AMAXs also. They fly just as good as the 210 VLDs. I used the 210s for years in my 300WM and loved them but the whole production problems and troubles getting them bothered me so last year when Hornady was starting to make some of the 208s they sent some to the team and I was the only one with a 300WM so I tested them and I was impressed. Used the same exact powder charge as my 210s load but loaded them .005" off the lands which is where I found the .30 AMAXs like to be. Not telling you to give up on the 210s as they are great bullets but just something else to try incase they have another problem.

Sorry to stray there Ben. Like mentioned the VLDs like to be into or very close to the lands. I'd start a little out like at the .005" mark just so you don't get any pressure problems. Then work into the lands.

Thanks for the reply guys! Just got home from work and I'm about to start preping the brass, hopefully range report sometime in the near future.

I'll give them a try, Rob. The boxes of VLDs I got with no trouble from both www.powdervalleyinc.com and www.wideners.com . when I got the VLDs, they said to try them hunting .They think these bullets are the cat's pajamas (no offense,Fluffy) for heavy hitting on deer.I've also been told that the A-max can be pretty good too.

By the way, the fellow on 6mmBR was right about the 115 Bergers.My 1:8 .243 wasn't enough to stabilize them. The ones that actually hit the target went through sideways.

Jeff

BenDun - We have shot and tested the 185 Berger extensively in both bolt gun and semi - auto 300 WSM. It is a fine bullet choice. The powder to use is Hodgdon 4831 SC. Start at 68 grains and work up from there.

DO NOT BE AFRAID to use a compressed load,

DO seat the bullet firmly into the lands......you won't be dissapointed! Fed 210 primer is more than enough unless you are below 40 degrees fahrenheit.

Jeff the 210s are available now but for a while this past year the production was down due to some die problems I was told and you couldn't find them anywhere. I just wanted to give you an option if that happened again.

I can't speak to how they perform hunting as I don't hunt but they are super accurate out to 1650 yards, which is the farthest I've shot them, from the 300WM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads