6.5 Creedmoor?

6.5 Creedmoor?

This is a discussion on 6.5 Creedmoor? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Just read an article on the 6.5 Creedmoor in the latest Shotgun News. It will fit into a .308 platform AR. Ballistics appear to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor?

6.5 Creedmoor?

Just read an article on the 6.5 Creedmoor in the latest Shotgun News. It will fit into a .308 platform AR. Ballistics appear to be about the same as a .260 Rem. at a little lower pressure. Curious if it will take hold. Hornady seems to be the only producer of ammunition at this time. A little less expensive to shoot than a 6.5X47 Lapua.
    NRA Lifer/ 2nd bn. 23 rd Marines (res). 0351 AT/ Assault. "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,hoping it will eat him last ". Winston Churchill

I read that same article. Although it's not the sort of firearm that appeals to me generally, I thought that Tubb Rifle was pretty interesting. I wish a friend or relative would buy one so I could try it out.

I had just been thinking about this and commented on it in another thread. There's also the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC.

My only "gripe" is that a lot of "new" calibers are getting introduced that aren't really much different than some of the older calibers that have fallen by the way-side. The problem that I see is that years down the road not all of these calibers will "servive" and ammo & components will dry up potentially leaving you with a gun that you can't shoot or afford to.

For that very reason, I've built my firearms collection around cartridges that have a long history, strong current following, and many firearms chambered.

As much as I want a Winchester model 71 (in .348 cal) - I won't pay the price as ammo & components are not available. Marlin recently came out with a .308 Marlin that shoots a pointy (soft polymer) bullet out of a lever-gun. Since I doubt that caliber will be around in 20 years, I'd sooner buy a .30-30 and load flat-points to load in the magazine and also have some hand-loaded rounds (using pointed bullets) for single-feeding.
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

DPMS has a rifle chambered for it already, and if memory serves me right, krieger has a reamer for all of the blt gun guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    I had just been thinking about this and commented on it in another thread. There's also the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC.

My only "gripe" is that a lot of "new" calibers are getting introduced that aren't really much different than some of the older calibers that have fallen by the way-side. The problem that I see is that years down the road not all of these calibers will "servive" and ammo & components will dry up potentially leaving you with a gun that you can't shoot or afford to.

For that very reason, I've built my firearms collection around cartridges that have a long history, strong current following, and many firearms chambered.

As much as I want a Winchester model 71 (in .348 cal) - I won't pay the price as ammo & components are not available. Marlin recently came out with a .308 Marlin that shoots a pointy (soft polymer) bullet out of a lever-gun. Since I doubt that caliber will be around in 20 years, I'd sooner buy a .30-30 and load flat-points to load in the magazine and also have some hand-loaded rounds (using pointed bullets) for single-feeding.
    For a lever gun as powerful as the 348 Winchester, I shoot a Browning BLR in 358 Win. The 358 has made a recent comeback. Browning and Ruger have current models in 358. If you handload,the 358 is a breeze. Just run 308 brass through a 358 sizer with a tapered expander and you have a 358. It is a real thumper out to 200 yards. I currently use a 260 Rem. in a Remington Mountain Rifle. I do like the 260. For a target gun,I was thinking that the 6.5 Creedmoor makes sense. You can shoot it in a bolt gun or an AR-10 platform. I believe the main thought behind this new caliber is availability of off the shelf, factory target grade ammo with lower pressures. I'm curious if it will take. I still am intrigued with the 6.8 SPC in an AR-15, but like you,I don't want to commit myself then a few years down the line, having a caliber that you can't get brass anymore.
    NRA Lifer/ 2nd bn. 23 rd Marines (res). 0351 AT/ Assault. "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,hoping it will eat him last ". Winston Churchill

it is my understanding that the 6.5grendle is based of of 7.62x39
    the 6.8 spc is on remington 30 ??
    which you can use in a standard ar15 lower

the creedmoor is based on the 30 tc case and would need an ar10 or similar lower

The Grendel is based on the 6PPC.

Aren't the .22 PPC and 6mm PPC cartridges based on the 220 Russian, a necked down variation of the 7.62x39?

Jeff

Our Team is in the process of getting rifles built in the 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot matches. Hopefully the rifles will be ready by June when we go to Idaho so after that I can let you know how it worked out compared to my .243 I shoot now. I'm pretty excited about it because the factory loaded ammo is supposed to be pretty accurate and coming out at a very good velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsid1002
    The sink or swim will be decided by the military. Uncle Sam is or was looking to replace the 5.56. So just like the 223 ,IF they ever adopt one, the selected will be in use for a long time.
    I really don't think the success of a purpose-designed match cartridge is going to be decided by any military. Look at the 6.5-284....the .260.....6.5x47. How many armies are using those?
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads