bulk remanufactured 308 ammo

This is a discussion on bulk remanufactured 308 ammo within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am curious about all of this ammo I am finding for sale that is sold in bulk and identified as remanufactured 308 remmington ammo. ...

I am curious about all of this ammo I am finding for sale that is sold in bulk and identified as remanufactured 308 remmington ammo. I am purchasing the Howa entry rifle from Mel who has been a great deal of help for me. I will be using that rifle and depending on the responses I get back I may be using this ammo. So here is my question... Is this ammo ok to use with this rifle? Will it have any adverse affect on my rifle? I am only wanting to use this ammo out to about 200 yds tops and mostly it wont be that far. I don't care about accuracy so much as it will only be used to help me get used to my rifle and to target practice. Will this ammo be suitable for that purpose without damaging my action and or my barrel. All input is greatly appreciated. Thankyou everyone!

Bill

isn't the point of target practice to get better and closer groups. If your just wanted to shoot bullets down range i think it will be fine for you but if your wanting to get good groupings and actually see if your getting better at shooting i think match grade is worth the extra cost

Bulk .308 Reply

Quote Originally Posted by jamescb77
    isn't the point of target practice to get better and closer groups. If your just wanted to shoot bullets down range i think it will be fine for you but if your wanting to get good groupings and actually see if your getting better at shooting i think match grade is worth the extra cost

I do want to get close groupings but it has been a few years since i have fired a rifle and i would like to get myself used to it. while i am shooting i will be trying to get good groupings but i am not as concerned with that because from what i have found so far the difference should be no more than .5MOA at 100-200 yrds and shooting a 1 MOA at 100 (assuming i don't really suck) is acceptable for me starting out. my main goal is to get used to the kick and to get rid of my shooter error before i worry about what bullets perform best. if i cant give my best performance i wont get the performance for the money i invest in the best bullets.

Understand i do want to try and improve in all areas of my shooting but i dont want to spend an arm and leg with as much as i plan on firing. i will be loading several different types of ammo periodically but for "plinking" so to say, i dont want to spend so much a round if i am going to go through alot more toward the beginning. once i have a feel for the rifle i will cut back and concentrate more on accuracy which means i will invest.

My concern is that if i use this ammo it might hurt my rifle in some way and if that is the case i will not purchase an item only to have it work against me. next winter i will be hunting with this rifle and i would like to get good enough to compete someday. Sorry to type so much but i don't want people to think i just wanted a plinker, i want a rifle that will do what i want it to every time and i want to be able to give a consistant performance for my rifle. but to start i just want to have a little foreplay and get used to the feeling of it and would like to save a bit of money doing that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Invest in a .22 and get back into it with that. It will pay for its self in a short time with the prce differance in ammo. Also no recoil etc makes it easier to get the basics down.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

308 bulk...

yeah i actually saw a reasonable .22 plinker that i may buy but as for right now i am focused on the 308.

Bill

The ammo will not have any advers affects on the rifle, however depending on the quality your groups may be all over the place. Now, with that in mind, if you are having flyers or miss a target you will not know if it is you or the ammo. since you are not sure if you or the ammo is missing the target you will not learn to shoot as well or as quickly as you should. I am not saying don't buy the ammo, since it is good for plinking or learning to acclimate to recoil. The best thing to do is get someone who is an exelant shot shoot a few groups for oyu so you know what to expect from the ammo in terms of accuracy.

I have seen some bulk ammo that is accurate, but some is pure junk as well. In the long run the best option is to buy a reloading set up and taylor you ammo to what your rifle likes but that is a whole other thread.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Thankyou

Thanks John i appreciate your response. i will probably just risk it on a box or two the the 100rnd boxes and see what happens.

Bill

It won't hurt your rifle and it is adequate for trigger time but like was said don't expect it to be great stuff. Maybe it will and maybe it won't but it will get you behind your rifle.

I once saw Mark Lammers put about six rounds through the same hole at 100 yards with a Losok rifle and 34 year old surplus Greek .30-06 ammo. Your not supposed to be able to do that but I saw it with my own eye.

I think every one who target shoots should own a 22 rifle.
    I have a pump 22 that I love and defently saves lots of cash on rounds.
    Also an sks is cheap to throw lead down range!
    Hidden Content

You are not Prepared.

Some people like to shoot a lot, and some people like to shoot tiny little groups; finally, some like to do both.

Tiny little groups places demands on the shooter and ammo that shooting a lot does not. If you have any aptitude in the mater, it will only take you 100-200 rounds to get your trigger finger to the require point of perfection. After this point the rest of the bulk ammo becomes "fowlers" (ask me how I know).

Ads