Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Midway Has Winchester White Box .308 On Sale

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hawk 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I debated adding my 2c because a couple years ago you could find this stuff for $8.00 a box, but times have changed. This is actually a very good deal. I bought a thousand+ rounds this past week from a local dealer. I have shot a few boxes of it. I'm getting between 1/2inch and 1inch groups with it at 100 yards with my Remington 700. Haven't had time to shoot any of it further this past week, but I have shot a bunch of it out to 500 in the past through my M1A and the stuff groups well. I know ideally we all hand load all the time, but sometimes it's nice to go shooting without loading for yourself and you get to stock up on some pretty decent brass. I actually purchased most of this ammo for SHTF storage. Bottom line: it's a good deal. Stack it high and deep.

#3 ·
hawk said:
I debated adding my 2c because a couple years ago you could find this stuff for $8.00 a box, but times have changed. This is actually a very good deal. I bought a thousand+ rounds this past week from a local dealer. I have shot a few boxes of it. I'm getting between 1/2inch and 1inch groups with it at 100 yards with my Remington 700. Haven't had time to shoot any of it further this past week, but I have shot a bunch of it out to 500 in the past through my M1A and the stuff groups well. I know ideally we all hand load all the time, but sometimes it's nice to go shooting without loading for yourself and you get to stock up on some pretty decent brass. I actually purchased most of this ammo for SHTF storage. Bottom line: it's a good deal. Stack it high and deep.
+1 A tear came to my eye when you metioned 8.00 bucks a box. If you are in central Ohio then Blackwing Shooting Center has this same ammo on sale for 139.90 a case (200 rounds) I think that the brass is worth about 80 bucks right now so buy and buy often!

#4 ·
hawk said:
but sometimes it's nice to go shooting without loading for yourself and you get to stock up on some pretty decent brass. I actually purchased most of this ammo for SHTF storage. Bottom line: it's a good deal. Stack it high and deep.
+1. I've found it's usually cheaper to buy loaded ammo first when you find a deal like this, then use the brass for handloading. I did much the same with .45 ACP for a long time before the metal prices went through the roof. I was buying CCI Blazer Brass in .45 ACP for $9.95 a box from Wal-Mart. I couldn't buy the brass and bullets that cheap. Then, I would save the brass for reloading.

The same with .30-06. I bought 1,440 rounds of the Greek surplus M-2 Ball for $381.00 delivered from the CMP. The brass alone was worth more than that. Metal prices have been dropping steadily for some time now. The problem is much like gasoline, the ammo prices aren't reflecting this as quickly. As more and more ammo is purchased I think we'll find the prices will be dropping as the newer, cheaper metal is used in it's manufacture. Bill T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.