Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Um... has anybody seen my primers?

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  wtownsend 
#1 ·
So I'm at gander mountain yesterday (just got my tax return) and I'm assembling my reloading kit, happy-go-lucky as can be, I slowly think through the process of reloading a single round to ensure I don't forget anything...
RCBS chucker supreme master reloading kit-check
7mm rem mag sizing and reloading dies-check
6"caliper-check
deburring tool-check
powder trickler-check
IMR powder-check
brass holder-check
sierra MK 168gr HPBT-check
7mm rem mag brass-ckeck
large magnum rifle primers... WTF?!? where did all the primers go?
'scuse me sir could you show me were ya'll keep your primers? YOU DON'T HAVE ANY?!? FOR CHRISAKES, WHY NOT?...
Franticaly I search Midwayusa.com, "out of stock,no backorder" "out of stock,no backorder" "out of stock,no backorder".

So now I ask you fine gentlemen, would sombody please tell me what happend to all the primers? :wink:

See less See more
#2 ·
they are all in some guys basement as he brick and mortars the stairway door. "I have my reloading gear and a 5 year supply of Hot Pockets the New World Order cant get me now!!!"

I have used cci 200 in my 7 mag. They will work till you can get some mag primers, If you can get any regular primers.

#3 ·
Primers are hard to come by right now. But a couple of notes on your supplies. First off you don't need magnum primers for 7mm Rem Mag. I have always used large rifle primers on mine and they work great. Also on you bullet selection. Why SMK? The Bergers and A-max bullets have a better BC have better terminal ballistics. Also if you have a tight twist barrel you could look into JLK bullets or Wildcat. They only SMK that I have seen with good terminal ballistics is the 300 grain 338. Also on your powder selection which IMR powder are you using? I have used IMR 4350 & 7828 but found Reloader 22 and H1000 to be superior.

#5 ·
Longshot38 said:
Primers are hard to come by right now. But a couple of notes on your supplies. First off you don't need magnum primers for 7mm Rem Mag. I have always used large rifle primers on mine and they work great. Also on you bullet selection. Why SMK? The Bergers and A-max bullets have a better BC have better terminal ballistics. Also if you have a tight twist barrel you could look into JLK bullets or Wildcat. They only SMK that I have seen with good terminal ballistics is the 300 grain 338. Also on your powder selection which IMR powder are you using? I have used IMR 4350 & 7828 but found Reloader 22 and H1000 to be superior.
As is apparently obvious, I'm relatively new to reloading, and the manual specifically stated that the 7rm required magnum primers, and this being my first time reloading for this rifle I thought I would stick to the book at least till I got more experience behind this rifle, Why SMK's? Past experience with Sierra bullets, and based off customer reviews.
I bought IMR 4350 to start off with. The twist is 1 in 10.

We'll see what this can do for right now I guess.

#6 ·
I use 4350 for lighter bullets, but H1000 for the heavier stuff.

If you would like to see some more real, published loads online check out Hodgdon's reloading data center.

#7 ·
Well I can guarantee that they didn't make it down under to Australia.

I got the last 3 packs of Federal GM210's that my local dealer had, and he has no idea when he will have stock back in.

In shopping around it seems we are short here as well.

Cheers.

#8 ·
ya seriously i went to gander today and they didnt have varget, h110, h4350, .243 105 gr amax, .308 168 amax, .500 350 gr xtps, or federal 210 primers. and that was everything i needed so needless to say my 30min trip out there was a pointless waste of time. I should have just ordered everything online and paid the hazmat fee...

#9 ·
Welcome to my world. Same thing, every time.

The guys who live in the big cities know when the shipments of powder show up and they gang rape it as soon as it is off the trucks. I buy whatevers left over.

If I am lucky there is still some 4895, 4198, Varget, etc. And even then its the last can :roll:

#10 ·
I'm one of those guys who lives in the city, and I STILL can't find any small rifle primers. I did stumble onto a brick of WLRs (I would/should have bought all three, but money is is extremely tight right now) but /I have a ton of .223 brass I want to load for the spring varmint season. Even the stores are having a tough time with primers. But I am seeing a few more bullets showing up, so I OK on 50 and 55 gr. Ballisic Tips and V-Maxes. I have been thinking about trying 53 gr A-Max bullets on vermin and coyotes. Anybody (JeffDorr?) tried them? How do they expand?

#14 ·
I found 400 Winchester LRs at Sam's Shooter's Emporium online. I called them up and they only charge nine bucks for the hazmat shipping. Maybe that'll get me by until I can find some local.

Anybody know why there is such a shortage? Is it all due to the scare of the new president or is there something else going on?

#16 ·
I just picked up a case of fereral primers today, its brass that I cant find!

#17 ·
Longshot38 said:
I may not be a phd bean counter on terminal ballistics or drag coefficients but I can tell you from experience that at least out to 900yds smk's work VERY WELL. All rifles are different but mine enjoys H4831sc and 168smks.

Take advice with a grain of salt. Follow your manuals and see what your rifle likes best.

#20 ·
Bobyjimmie said:
BTW crappy gun show, really crappy, lol.
I just went to a gun show up here in WA and can say that same thing. I went for about 20 minutes and then run away, crying like a little girl. It was a sad day.

About the primers, I'm have similar problems here. I was looking for some Federal GM210. After about 2 weeks of finding nothing, I was ready to settle for any large rifle primers. I called EVERYWHERE within a 100 mile radius and found one place that had them. They were "rationing" them and people could only buy a brick a piece. So I placed my order over the phone and picked them up a few days later.

I have one request. If you one of the people buying tens of thousands of primers every time the stores get a shipment, please leave some for the little guys! Same with other reloading supplies :p

#21 ·
I've been wondering what people are doing with all these primers. I keep waiting for the news story that Jimmy Joe's double wide blew up after something fell on his stack of 10,000 cases of primers. I'm going to be peeved if June rolls around and I can't shoot my new 338 lapua because I can't find mag primers. I also refuse to pay 90 bucks for them on gunbroker just out of principle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.