Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Powder Load

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  POGO57 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a powder load for a 7mm rem mag shooting 168grn SMK's w/ H4350. I'm looking for about 2800fps.

#3 ·
Thanks

I'm having a bit of a hard time w/ the whole fast vs. slow burning powders, and when to use one or the other. So all I was doing is looking for a powder listed in the manual and going w/ what they said would work, just the first powder they listed that I could find at Gander M. Any info on the subject is greatly appreciated. Ya know, I don't wanna be a schmoe or anything.

#5 ·
Hodgdon's does not list the 168 grain MK on their website.
But they do list the 170 grain Sierra roundnose. And for this bullet the starting load is 58.0 grains of H4350. The velocity claimed is 2701 fps.

Now the 168 grain Sierra Match King probably has a longer bearing surface. So pressures will likely be higher with this bullet. So I would try the starting load for the 170 grain bullet. I would be somewhat hesitant about pushing things much further.

Safety first. Don't be a schmoe.

Fluffy

#6 ·
A slow powder burns longer. A fast powder burns faster. Slow powders will continue to propel a projectile longer than a fast power. A fast powder will be burned up long before a bullet reaches the end of the barrel, where a slow powder is still propelling the whole length. Slow powders take advantage of heavy projectiles and long barrel lengths, as the bullet continues to build speed up for a longer distance in the barrel.

While I agree that IMR4831 or 7828 might be more suitable powders for the 7mm mag, there are some IMR 4350 loads available. The 4831 will be more useful for a 168 grain bullet, in my opinion.

Jeff

#7 ·
again thanks

Fluffy, that's exactly what I went with, 58grn of H4350. I'm going to use up this pound of powder then switch to a slower powder as instructed. Thank you all for your help.

#8 ·
Re: again thanks

I Dares I Wins said:
Fluffy, that's exactly what I went with, 58grn of H4350. I'm going to use up this pound of powder then switch to a slower powder as instructed. Thank you all for your help.
LOL! No true handloader uses up a can of powder before buying another type! That's why we all have a dozen or so cans of various stuff sitting on our shelves. In fact, you should immediately run out and buy 3 or 4 more types before proceeding. Besides, testing multiple powders and multiple loads gives you a great excuse to spend more time at the range. You should probably pick up a few more bullet types while you're there to.

Can't have too much stuff lying around! :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.