.223 full length re-size question

This is a discussion on .223 full length re-size question within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Help me clear up some confusion. I am getting ready to start reloading for .223 / 5.56 for AR-15. Should you full length re-size your ...

Help me clear up some confusion.

I am getting ready to start reloading for .223 / 5.56 for AR-15.
    Should you full length re-size your cases or can using just a trim die be suffecient?

If I am correct the trim die just re-size's the neak only. Right ?

The confusion is I read somewhere that if your reloading the cases fired from the same weapon, re-sizing just the neak is sufficient?

If this is true what I am thinking, is that I could use a universal decapper deprimer die and then just use the trim die.
    The trim die I have is the RCBS.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    JJ

Normally, if you are re-loading for just 1 (bolt) rifle, neck sizing can have its benefits. Not really any NEED in FL sizing them. You already know they will fit your chamber. But, you're planning to load for an auto. You may want to consider a small base sizing die. Small base dies resize the case slightly smaller than the other dies, to aid autos. (If I understand correctly.) I have no experience with them but I'm sure someone here does.

Quote Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975
    Normally, if you are re-loading for just 1 (bolt) rifle, neck sizing can have its benefits. Not really any NEED in FL sizing them. You already know they will fit your chamber. But, you're planning to load for an auto. You may want to consider a small base sizing die. Small base dies resize the case slightly smaller than the other dies, to aid autos. (If I understand correctly.) I have no experience with them but I'm sure someone here does.
    Thanks for the reply...thats helps some ...I will read up on small base sizing dies..I have a RCBS FL Sizing Die as well, so i am covered.

Anyone else..have a suggestion It would be great..
    Thanks
    JJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

It sort of depends on what chamber you have. With a large-ish military 5.56*45 chamber you should never need a SB die--and infact, I regularly Neck-Only size my AR15 ammo. Have not had a failure-to-<pick failure mode> in thousands of rounds.

On the other hand, if you have a tight match chamber--you might need a SB die. Brass life on a SB sizing regimine is about 1/2 as long as FL sizing and 1/4 as long as NO sizing. (Your millage may vary).

You can Neck-Only size 223/5.56*45 ammo with a FL sizing die by unscrewing the die so that it does not contact the sholder. Before I got my bushing die, I even sized 223 with a 222 FL sizing die -- long story don't ask. But it worked after I sacrificed a few pieces getting it set up correctly.

A universal decapper is a good tool to have. I use one. You should be awayre that Quatemalan brass needs a very thin decapping pin 0.058 instead of the typical 0.073 pins in most dies. I deprime my Quat with a Redding die with the pin lapped down to the above dimension on my lathe. It occasionaly still gets the pin pulled. A #49 drill brings the holes back up to std dimensions.

Some 223/5.56*45 brass will come with crimped primers, for this you will need a swaging die or a sharp exacto knife.

Ads